Got me a Gardner

Featured Posts

Nice bit of work. Well done. Re alternator mounting:

Below is a link to a pic on photobucket of the engine by Danny Williamson in Oslo.

http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/a...nt=IMG_0017.jpg

In this case there are 2 alternators (140A Dom and 40A Eng) "facing" the engine under the stainless cover.

If you like I'll measure up for you or you can come and have a look.

I've just bought another 3LW with a single 160A alternator which is arranged alongside the engine.

This obviously shortens the installation.

EDIT. The Finance Manager(ess) does know about the second engine and approved the expenditure.

Edited by andywatson

For the pulley, the choice is either to machine down the existing fan pulley and use it as a starting point to mount something bigger, or start from scratch making something up to suit. They were available as a Gardner part, you could try Walsh's for instance.

I could make you something up once you decide what's needed.

I have arranged alternator drives on a couple of Gardners, from the original chain-driven dynamo drive with step-up pulleys, it worked out very neatly (and reliably) but needs careful thought and manufacture.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I have a build date of 8th Nov 1954, the engine was sold to Tozer Kemsley and Millbourn. It was supplied with a direct drive gearbox. The order sheet is attached, 3rd from bottom left

gardbuilddate.jpg

Its duty is described as MAR.PROP, does this and the direct drive gearbox give any clue as to its original use?

Charles

I have a build date of 8th Nov 1954, the engine was sold to Tozer Kemsley and Millbourn. It was supplied with a direct drive gearbox. The order sheet is attached, 3rd from bottom left

Its duty is described as MAR.PROP, does this and the direct drive gearbox give any clue as to its original use?

Charles

Mar.Prop is just Marine Propulsion.

Direct drive would imply a shallow draught (relatively) high speed launch or similar rather than a deep draughted work boat or canal boat. I can't read the other bit of the spec.

Gardners used to keep test sheets and spares order details for all their engines. Anyone know what happened to all that?

Tim

Mar.Prop is just Marine Propulsion.

Direct drive would imply a shallow draught (relatively) high speed launch or similar rather than a deep draughted work boat or canal boat. I can't read the other bit of the spec.

Gardners used to keep test sheets and spares order details for all their engines. Anyone know what happened to all that?

Tim

Thanks Tim

The Anson Engine museum have the records as far as I know, thats where this info came from. TKM were an export company for the British Empire/Commonwealth, so I dont know where the engine ended up, interesting it could be a boat engine, I had assumed it was a South African mine engine as thats what most appear to be

Charles

It must be a good Gardner day..I bought a fully marinised 2LW with gearbox in great running order this morning for £850. Result !

Hi,

Now that's a bargain, here's a picture of 112695 following repatriation from South Africa, prior to restoration (they all probably come back in a similar condition).

GardnerPre-reno2.jpg

Leo

It must be a good Gardner day..I bought a fully marinised 2LW with gearbox in great running order this morning for £850. Result !

Where's the "jealousy" icon when you need it?

Have you got a boat to put it in?

Edited by Athy

There's a zero missing off that price!

Someone has been stung, and it isn't you.

Not at all..it depends where you get them. They only fetch high prices in the UK and are cheap as chips in other countires. You just need to know where to look. I suspect I paid more for this engine than the current price ex-African mine for example. The bargain factor is in this being a good one, believe me I've seen some garbage ones in my time. I buy in quite a few engines overseas and greatly appreciate that "sought after" is relevant to the country its in. Tired old UK bus engines can be worth a lot elsewhere for example and end up broken for bits in the UK. Trade is what makes the world go round! :lol:

Not at all..it depends where you get them. They only fetch high prices in the UK and are cheap as chips in other countires. You just need to know where to look. I suspect I paid more for this engine than the current price ex-African mine for example. The bargain factor is in this being a good one, believe me I've seen some garbage ones in my time. I buy in quite a few engines overseas and greatly appreciate that "sought after" is relevant to the country its in. Tired old UK bus engines can be worth a lot elsewhere for example and end up broken for bits in the UK. Trade is what makes the world go round! :lol:

So you'll be happy with 2 and half grand for it then?

So you'll be happy with 2 and half grand for it then?

When I recently checked the ex mine engines 2LW they were about £2,200 from Ireland basically as scrap, and I completely agree with Gibbo with the points he makes, well done to you for picking one up for that price but you don't say what condition its in but if it came from a UK source, the person who sold it for that price really was stung. If its in good nick in my book its wrong to knowingly take advantage of someone when clearly the true value is a lot more

Charles

Slightly off topic but i've been watching an HA2 on ebay said to be in excellent condition with blackstone gearbox, which had a starting price of 600, and it finished last night with no sale, not the one bid. Isn't 600 a really good price for one of them?

Sadly the air cooled Listers are falling out of fashion these days, such is the demand for lashings of hot water from a calorifier. The gearbox was worth £600 alone. I was watching people fight over a dead FR2 a few months ago while an identical, but working, engine hidden in a bit of old farm machinery did not attract a bid. Cie la vie.

Sadly the air cooled Listers are falling out of fashion these days, such is the demand for lashings of hot water from a calorifier. The gearbox was worth £600 alone. I was watching people fight over a dead FR2 a few months ago while an identical, but working, engine hidden in a bit of old farm machinery did not attract a bid. Cie la vie.

You didn't answer my question.

Will you take 5 grand for it?

When I recently checked the ex mine engines 2LW they were about £2,200 from Ireland basically as scrap, and I completely agree with Gibbo with the points he makes, well done to you for picking one up for that price but you don't say what condition its in but if it came from a UK source, the person who sold it for that price really was stung. If its in good nick in my book its wrong to knowingly take advantage of someone when clearly the true value is a lot more

Charles

Very true for an ex mine engine via a dealer in Ireland including there markup (and for the UK/Ireland market £2200 for a core 2LW is a fair price). But most definitly not the price for one direct from the mines. Very much a case of where you get it from as steamraiser2 said.