Emptying the shower tray/bath

Featured Posts

All the boats we have hired over the years (Broads and canals) have had the same basic system for emptying the shower tray

ie a push button to empty with a pump operating when (and only when) a button is held in. Clearly this is so the pump can't be run un-attended, run dry and be damaged through lack of water.

Do any of you have a more elegant solution on your own boats, I'm thinking either a time switch or better to me, a pump that can be started but auto stops as it runs dry. It's not such a big deal for a shower tray but emptying a bath (even a small one) this way would be a bit of a pain.

Any thoughts folks?

My set up had a bilge pump and float switch in a big margarine tub sealed under the shower tray plug hole.

It emptied as you showered, just like the real thing.

You can buy similar set ups, now, but mine was first.

Yes - I would have thought that a combination of float and level switches would do the trick with an override switch ( with a big noticeable light to tell you it is over -ridden ! )

I.e have the bath etc when on over-ride ( so it doesn't pump out ) and when you get out ( i.e. normal condition) the pump is active via a float switch, in case the bath fills and overflows ( were it not for the float switch ) so the pump will only come on to avoid the bath overflowing onto e.g floors / carpets when boat is unattended. I have discovered with a full water tank, that water can slowly trickle through off pumps, and into a shower tray, which then overflows onto the carpet outside the shower in the corridor ultimately :lol:

Nick

All the boats we have hired over the years (Broads and canals) have had the same basic system for emptying the shower tray

ie a push button to empty with a pump operating when (and only when) a button is held in. Clearly this is so the pump can't be run un-attended, run dry and be damaged through lack of water.

Do any of you have a more elegant solution on your own boats, I'm thinking either a time switch or better to me, a pump that can be started but auto stops as it runs dry. It's not such a big deal for a shower tray but emptying a bath (even a small one) this way would be a bit of a pain.

Any thoughts folks?

The float switch equipped sump and pump system has a reputation for jamming the float switch with the soap and grease that accompanies regular showering. I haven't experienced it but have heard the info from various sources and I can believe it's true. You've only got to look inside your average plug hole to view the type of crud that can cause float switches to stick. :lol:

In my opinion the best solution is a Whale Gulper pump. These pumps, being diaphragm type, can pump the stuff out and can be left running with no water without ill effect until you are ready to switch it off. They are quieter than a Jabsco type vane pump which really scream when they start to run dry and, eventually, will fail if left running with no water.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Some shower/waste water pumps do not have a problem running dry. The Whale Gulper 220 is one example. You can just set it running as you step into the shower and switch it off as you get out.

There are switch mechanisms too using a sealed sump and a float switch that will automatically start running when the water rises in the sump box.

Any thoughts folks?

This?

The shower/bath drains into the box, which contains a bilge pump and float switch.

We have one like this, and a clean out every 6 months keeps it in good order.

We have one as well - made by Attwood.

Just trying to source a replacement lid as one of the the securing "clips" broke off ours.

If you do get one, make sure that you connect up the overflow and route it somewhere you are happy for excess water to go.

Need to be careful with some very common sumps which have a gasket but then route wires through a totally inadequate grommet arrangement which lets water out.

Which is why reading the posts above I'm more inclined to go for a direct pump such as the Whale gulper - it sounds as if there is less to go wrong?????? :lol:

I can understand this on a hire-boat to protect the pump, but as has been said, many will anyway use the Whale Gulper, where (other than using battery power), there should be few problems if it is run "dry".

We have no greater sophistication than your hire boats, but do have an "on off" pull switch, rather than a push button, which I think I'd find too tedious.

Our pump is an impeller type, so you do need to switch it off again each time the tray is drained, but it's hardly hard work.

Compared to all the nonsense one hears about some sump and/or float switch arrangements, I think I can live with it.

In an ideal world we would have a diaphragm type pump, not an impeller one, but whilst what we have keeps going, I can't justify what a Gulper would cost me, (but it's what I'd put in if replacing).

I use a gulper 220 (or will when I get a bathroom installed), I will be adding a flow sensor to the shower inlet water pipes and a timer so the pump will be basically be automatic.

For emptying a bath to auto switch off, a sump would be useful but the cheap ones leak so no good for a bath. Another solution would be a tank from Caktanks with a float switch (as well as inlets and outlets). It would be totally sealed so no leaks.

Edited by Robbo

Compared to all the nonsense one hears about some sump and/or float switch arrangements, I think I can live with it.

What nonsense????

IIRC, the sump has given minor problems twice. Both time it failed "on".

As a centrifugal pump, it suffers no ill effects being run dry.

What nonsense????

IIRC, the sump has given minor problems twice. Both time it failed "on".

As a centrifugal pump, it suffers no ill effects being run dry.

Are you suggesting the only place one ever gets to hear about difficulties people have with their boats is on this forum forum ?

I've heard several problems with blockages and leaks. You have obviously fared better, and I accept that.

But, to be honest, words like "make sure that you connect up the overflow and route it somewhere you are happy for excess water to go", (just posted), tell me I'd rather have something that can only put shower drain water outside the boat.

Any thoughts folks?

Hi

I have two brass screws heads near the bottom and through the shower tray.

These are fed with 12v, when the water shorts them out they switch on a 12vDC solid state relay.

This automaticaly starts the pump, when the level drops the pump switches off.

To empty the whole shower tray and drain I short them out with a wet flannel.

Alex

I have two brass screws heads near the bottom and through the shower tray.

These are fed with 12v, when the water shorts them out they switch on a 12vDC solid state relay.

This automaticaly starts the pump, when the level drops the pump switches off.

To empty the whole shower tray and drain I short them out with a wet flannel.

That's given me an idea, two copper pipes, separated by a rubber hose or plastic pipe, with the same 12v fed and SS relay as you mentioned, a timer may need to be added but you'll have the advantage of the automation of the shower sump type but with none of the leaks or cleaning out to do.

Are you suggesting the only place one ever gets to hear about difficulties people have with their boats is on this forum ?

I've heard several problems with blockages and leaks. You have obviously fared better, and I accept that.

But, to be honest, words like "make sure that you connect up the overflow and route it somewhere you are happy for excess water to go", (just posted), tell me I'd rather have something that can only put shower drain water outside the boat.

To be fair, the installation instructions which, being a man, I didn't read, do say that you should connect a pipe to the built in overflow and route that to the bilge where, if the float switch fails and the pump doesn't switch on, any excess can be safely dealt with. The switch failed because it hadn't been serviced.

Also, I should have cleaned the float switch like Dave does, on a more regular basis. The hire boats that used to be based at our place had this kind of pump and never gave any problem becuase the float switch was serviced regularly - and that only involes cleaning the much out when you clean the filter.

I believe the Attwood box is quite safe if installed as directed and is cleaned regularly (and that interval is also probably detailed in the fitting instructions). For your own piece of mind you may wish to apply a small amount of sealant where the wires to the pump leave the box each time the box has been opened - once or twice a year.

I've got a gulper, which is automatically switched by a Johnson electronic switch mounted in a sealed box from Maplin.

Water from both the shower tray and wash hand basin (saved another hole in the side of the boat) drain into the box via skin fittings, the box fills and activates the pump, when the box empties the pump switches off. there are no mechanical parts, the switch is a proximity sensor, so nothing should "gunk" up

Lee

That's given me an idea, two copper pipes, separated by a rubber hose or plastic pipe, with the same 12v fed and SS relay as you mentioned, a timer may need to be added but you'll have the advantage of the automation of the shower sump type but with none of the leaks or cleaning out to do.

I like that :lol:

Why the timer though? Just to give a small delayed off to stop the pump cycling as the last dregs drain out?

<snip>

We have no greater sophistication than your hire boats, but do have an "on off" pull switch, rather than a push button, which I think I'd find too tedious.

Our pump is an impeller type, so you do need to switch it off again each time the tray is drained, but it's hardly hard work.

<snip>

We are less sophisticated*, having an ordinary toggle switch replacing the push button. In theory we could forget to turn the pump off, but in practice it is so noisy, you won't forget anyway.

Richard

*you and your fancy bits of string