We're listing

Ange

Featured Posts

I hate listing - when you live aboard it's very disconcerting when you're at a permanent angle.

When we arrived here, the day before the canal froze over, the water levels were low enough that we could only get the front end in. That was fine, ours is a trad so we move on and off the boat from the front. A few days later the back end came in by itself, so Dave tightened the ropes. Over the last couple of days we've developed a decided list away from the bank, so the water levels must have dropped. We're not sure why - the ice is getting thicker and I thought water expanded when it froze.

I'm not really asking for advice, just a general discussion. Any opinions on why the water levels should be so variable in such a short period of time with no heavy downpours? What difference does ice make on the water levels?

Did I tell you I hate it when the boat permanently lists?

(Still loving it though :lol: )

Edited for spelling - doh!

Edited by Ange

I hate listing - when you live aboard it's very disconcerting when you're at a permanent angle.

When we arrived here, the day before the canal froze over, the water levels were low enough that we could only get the front end in. That was fine, ours is a trad so we move on and off the boat from the front. A few days later the back end came in by itself, so Dave tightened the ropes. Over the last couple of days we've developed a decided list away from the bank, so the water levels must have dropped. We're not sure why - the ice is getting thicker and I thought water expanded when it froze.

I'm not really asking for advice, just a general discussion. Any opinions on why the water levels should be so variable in such a short period of time with no heavy downpours? What difference does ice make on the water levels?

Leaky locks vs BW trying to keep the level reasonable... Sounds like you're in limbo between the two. If you don't like the list untie, kick her out, and retie.

We've a list at the minute because the ice is holding us tight so shunting the coal around on the roof is ineffective. I find drinking lots makes an ever changing floor angle more fun :lol:

Leaky locks vs BW trying to keep the level reasonable... Sounds like you're in limbo between the two. If you don't like the list untie, kick her out, and retie.

We've a list at the minute because the ice is holding us tight so shunting the coal around on the roof is ineffective. I find drinking lots makes an ever changing floor angle more fun :lol:

Well we've thought about kicking her out, but the ice is well thick at the mo and the ropes are frozen solid. We might give it a go though.

I actually prefer your second option - as long as drinking lots doesn't exacerbate the list leading to falling over :lol:

Well we've thought about kicking her out, but the ice is well thick at the mo and the ropes are frozen solid. We might give it a go though.

I actually prefer your second option - as long as drinking lots doesn't exacerbate the list leading to falling over :lol:

Ah, but once you're on the floor you can't fall over anymore!

Chin chin!

You're on the southern Lancaster Canal which was not built as deep as the L&LC, and always had water shortage problems until supplied by the L&LC from 1816. Its main source of supply was pumping from collieries. Ice could block bywashes and this will restrict the water coming down from the summit as excess water would then flow through overflows into streams passing under the canal rather than down the canal. Usually the level of such overflows is slightly higher than bywashes around locks which allows excess water to feed down the canal rather than run to waste. Water does expand when it freezes, but I think that below -4 it starts to contract. Water is a rather unusual fluid in that respect.

Water does expand when it freezes, but I think that below -4 it starts to contract. Water is a rather unusual fluid in that respect.

Nearly right. It is at its most dense at +4

As you heat it above +4 it expands, quite a lot actually

As you cool it below +4 it also expands

When it freezes it expands a lot more

Once it's frozen it stays pretty much the same size.

Which explains that when I have a Bombay Sapphire & Tonic, (with large Ice cube) - it's because of the ice melting that the level in the tumbler appears to reduce almost to empty . . .

So I have to repeat the exercise a few times . . .

Then the boat / house / pub starts to list . . . . :lol:

Which explains that when I have a Bombay Sapphire & Tonic, (with large Ice cube) - it's because of the ice melting that the level in the tumbler appears to reduce almost to empty . . .

So I have to repeat the exercise a few times . . .

Then the boat / house / pub starts to list . . . . :lol:

Sounds like the work of the devil. :lol:

We are tidal here and we are in a short cut off the main river, the other night we wee startled by a horrendous crashing noise. I rushed outside and realised that as the river went down it had left a sheet of ice suspended around the boat and the noise was in fact this sheet of ice breaking up and crashing down. (Oh how we laughed) LOL

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We are tidal here and we are in a short cut off the main river, the other night we wee startled by a horrendous crashing noise. I rushed outside and realised that as the river went down it had left a sheet of ice suspended around the boat and the noise was in fact this sheet of ice breaking up and crashing down. (Oh how we laughed) LOL

Phil

:lol: I'm a bugger for leaping in the air and screaming at sudden noises so my reaction to that would have been quite entertaining!

Similarly (but not quite so extreme) I jumped in the air and screamed the other night when the boat bashed against the side of the canal with a big crash in the wee hours when hubby was asleep and I was on my own, as if someone had just gone past us really fast. It's happened quite a few times since then late at night - we think it's the ice thickening and pushing us against the bank.

Dave had a go at freeing the boat from the ice this morning so we could push the back out and regain an equilibrium - absolutely no chance! The boat is iced in good and proper - the ice was firmly attached to the boat and wouldn't budge.

It looks like we're stuck at this angle till the ice melts - I just hope I don't end up walking at an angle when I'm on land after learning to lean to one side to compensate :lol:

:lol: I'm a bugger for leaping in the air and screaming at sudden noises so my reaction to that would have been quite entertaining!

Have you heard the wonderful, electric, twang when someone's icebreaking? That'll really set you jumping the first time you hear it! :lol:

Have you heard the wonderful, electric, twang when someone's icebreaking? That'll really set you jumping the first time you hear it! :lol:

Heard it the first time the other week at around 4am in the morning (the ice was been "formed" at the time), sounded quite loud and made me jump and made me think Mars is attacking.. :lol:

Nooo - we've been looking forward to someone ice breaking but no one's come past since 19th December and I think the ice is far too thick now (roughly 3 inches)

I didn't realise it was that loud though - maybe I should be glad no one has, else there might be an Ange sized hole in the ceiling :lol:

We've listed even further now btw - we'll have to think about relocating the bookcase if it carries on, a bit further and the books'll start falling out :lol:

The strangest thing about people breaking ice, when it is occurring, is just how far ahead of their boats the effects can be felt.

Before everything got thick, and when there was still only a breakable layer of no more than 1/2" to 1", we were on the boat aware of all sorts of strange movements and noises, but looking outside the craft causing it were still maybe over 100 yards away.

I think it's more dramatic because the layer of ice precludes the normal possibility of a bow wave travelling ahead of the boat, and any water displaced forwards is trying to move about trapped under the ice.

In view of how thin the ice was, I was genuinely surprised by just hw much noise they made breaking it - but they were not exactly hanging about, it must be said!

Magnificent to see, but not something you would easily sleep through!

This morning after more creaking and banging in the night from the ice, Iona has more of a list on. I have to admit I am a little perturbed, how far over are we likely to lean? How much further will the water level drop? How far over can a narrowboat lean before it capsizes? I've seen photos of boats sitting on the mud in breached pounds, is there always a fairly gentle slope to the canal bed? The front rope is now very tight and the back almost as tight, should I leave the ropes as they are and hope they are strong enough to hold us more upright as the water level drops or loosen them and go with the flow? I have 2' rule which swings freely hanging on a nail which is 1 3/4" (or 600mm and 45mm) off vertical. Cleverer people than I will be able to work out how many degrees that makes.

Cheers

Dave

Leaning

Now here's the question: As ice forms on the canal what happens to the boats normal waterline relative to the top of the ice, does it stay the same, does it drop lower or does it rise? assuming ice isn't stuck to boat.

It's boredom time again.

Edited by nb Innisfree