whats your worst job you have to do onboard

MrCJ

Featured Posts

Fixing the loo is definately worse than emptying it. Ahh the fun we have had replacing seals and fixing the float on the cassette loo.

Closely followed by clearing the prop, especially in winter.

Sometimes for me its the 'off'board outdoor lifestyle that can be tiresome. Last night the tumble dryer (which I keep in a small shed) broke and we were stood there in the pouring rain wearing head torches dismantling it. Running out of coal at night in a rainstorm is my particular fave. I have had to learn to complete most tasks at night, in the rain, because that's invariably when they need doing, such is the law of sod.

Hubby says sucking the water out of the diesel tank - getting a gobfull every now and then :lol:

(Currently in the first stage of getting rid of diesel bug)

Ange

I know the perfect Xmas present you could buy hubby - a Pela vacuum extractor :lol:

Phil

Having done both jobs in the past, I would rather re-caulk the bottoms than get inside the water tank and re-black it, espcially on our boat where the tank goes a long way into the bow and is only 15" deep.

I have to own up however that when we caulked a motorized Nurser butty, the yard had lifted her out and set her on chocks which set the boat at 45degrees to horizontal. Getting underneath to caul would have been about as unpleasant as painting the top of the tank.

there are two I equate as equally naff... First is cutting mattresses of the prop in February... Not nice.

Second comes changing the batteries, as they need to be put in an awkward place under our cruiser stern that takes a gymnast to reach. With a 40kg lump it's quite tiring...

Cleaning the oil from the engine bay floor after the OH has changed ther oil filter with a plastic bag with a hole in the bottom. Not the easiest space to get into at the best of times never mind whilst trying with a mop and bucket.

Oh that and filling the fuel tank every couple of days whilst out and about.

there are two I equate as equally naff... First is cutting mattresses of the prop in February... Not nice.

Second comes changing the batteries, as they need to be put in an awkward place under our cruiser stern that takes a gymnast to reach. With a 40kg lump it's quite tiring...

If we are talking about the worst job I have ever had to do, then removing a dead King Charles Spaniel from the prop of Pisces back in the 1960's. After that matresses were a doddle.

Helping to clean up a friend's engine room that had been sprayed with oil when the oil pressure gauge pipe snapped. The oil kept spurting out until the engine seized. :lol:

:lol: How do you clean up the oil, whats the best thing to us, Is it possible to get rid of it all or does some remain??

:lol: How do you clean up the oil?

With great difficulty. It so happened that my friend had a bulk buy of toilet rolls on board. I seem to remember that we used about 35 of then to mop up. Then we used a bottle of Fairy Liquid to finish off.

I spent Saturday inside our water tank doing the second coat - and thank goodness it's done. My shoulders and upper arms are still complaining :lol: I'd rather do that weekly than have to plunge my arm down the weedhatch. It's the not knowing that gets to me - once I know it's carrier bags and fabric I don't mind it a jot, but I have the fear of plunging my fingers into something nasty down there...

David Schweizer you have just multiplied my fear by a million! :lol: