Does anyone use life jackets

seaandland

Featured Posts

I don't wear one on canals, but probably should. I am a poor swimmer as I hate going in water. Secondly there is always the chance of banging your head and becoming unconcious, should you fall on a steel boat and end up in the cut.

Not done so far - but seriously thinking about it for our trip In April 2010 (Leicester Ring).

We'll only be two up this time (rather than 9) and probably a bit concious less margin for error if one of us drops in, especially in a lock,

I have to admit i never have.

- When on the thames/trent we have them to hand on the roof should for some reasons conditions get such that i feel i wish to wear one i can get to it very rapidly. Engine failure, perceived chance of impending collision, rough water, sinking, etc.

Otherwise even with the inflatable getting through doors, tending to the engine/boiler etc just become a chore and its more likely to get damaged than be of use.

Daniel

We have on the bigger rivers, but not canals, or the smaller rivers.

They seemed to be quite common place on the Severn, (the easy bit, not the difficult bits!), but almost nobody had them on the Thames, (whether on narrowboats or Tupperware). Don't know why, really, as the Thames didn't seem inherently less dangerous.

I wore one most of the time on the Thames, but felt mildly conspicuous. It's pretty wide though in parts, and although I swim, I wouldn't want to get to a bank in full clothing.

The self inflating types really hamper your movement very little - clever things (assuming they work!).

I'd consider one on canals, if on my own, but haven't really done large amounts of lock work single handed.

OH should really wear one when cycling towpaths, but that's a different story! :lol:

I don't but have recently been left a little dog whom I think may need one have looked on line and am amazed at the doggie clothing market all I want is something that will save the little chap should he fall in, not fancy rain coats dresses yes I said dresses !!! and sandals !!!!! I'm new to dogs so any advice appreciated.

I don't but have recently been left a little dog whom I think may need one have looked on line and am amazed at the doggie clothing market all I want is something that will save the little chap should he fall in, not fancy rain coats dresses yes I said dresses !!! and sandals !!!!! I'm new to dogs so any advice appreciated.

Dog lifejackets are available, but not sure where from. Somebody kindly gave us one last year for our dog.

Found this:

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejackets-Dog.htm

Edited by Guest

Dennis makes yet another appearance......

DSC00377.jpg

We got his from Norfolk Marine in Wroxham, Norfolk,

http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/index.php

Didn't actually buy on line, we called in, in person.

Similar products are on eBay

Also you might want to check out this thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=25640&st=0

Edited to add link to similar question

Edited by MJG

Completely illogically, I wear mine on tidal rivers, but not nontidal (which are frequently deeper).

This summer, I travelled for a few days with another singlehander, even older than me, up the GU, through Leicester and down the Soar. She was wearing a lifejacket. At one of the locks, the toggle became caught in the paddle mechanism, and the thing inflated - I'd never seen this before, and it was quite alarming, if hilarious. She had a spare, but didn't wear it, as she was now travelling with someone. After a couple of days, I said I hoped she wasn't relying on me as a lifejacket, as I can't swim a stroke. "NOW YOU TELL ME!!!"

Iknow, I know........

Mac

Dennis makes yet another appearance......

DSC00377.jpg

We got his from Norfolk Marine in Wroxham, Norfolk,

http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/index.php

Didn't actually buy on line, we called in, in person.

Similar products are on eBay

Also you might want to check out this thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=25640&st=0

Edited to add link to similar question

I remember Brian who owned Boat Dusty (Caldon) he had a small white dog Josie,, she always weared one but i dont know why, Brian always fell in. :lol:

Having made the passage a few times from Chatham to Belgium and back and one trip from Amsterdam to Chatham Ive still yet to done my Lifejacket but that was the beauty of having a large deck and wheelhouse.

All crew were instructed on putting them on and each was supplied with one adjusted to fit them. They were also instructed on how to deploy the 8 man liferaft and other emergency things should the skipper be incapacitated.

It was their choice to wear them on deck or not if the sea state was good but when it was a bit lively the general instruction was to wear em if going on deck for an oily rag yet I always failed to practice what I preached.

I have done Limehouse to teddington on narrowboats several times and still failed to put the lifejacket on. Very slack of me really considering my training.

On the canals, the jackets stay in their locker unless requested by a crew member

I always wear one when out on tidal sections or when the river is running fast, but never on canals.

It may be worth pointing out the difference between a life preserver and a boyancy aid (note the specific non use of the term life jacket as this is a generic term that people use to cover both).

Whilst they will both keep you afloat (presuming that they have been sized corrrectly), only the life preserver is designed to keep your face out of the water should you be knocked out.

On Saturday last, we went for a trip round the Farne Islands (Northumberland) and noted that despite the strong winds and waves that caused the boat to pitch and roll alarmingly, the crew and passengers did not have life jackets - although there was a decent inflatable raft available in case of emergency. Knowing that BW staff are supposed to wear life jacket when working beside still water that is barely three feet deep one is bound to ask; why? Is there any evidence that they make the job any safer?

That said, I do wear mine whenever on fast flowing, deep or choppy water . . .

We haven't got any life jackets on 'Trojan' but we do have a lifebelt, which is usually on top of the back cabin slide when we are under way. As most canals are only a few feet deep I sometimes wonder why we bother!