Boat Names

mayalld

Featured Posts

"calm down" is quite a good one I reckon.

They are one of my personal hates. Why do you need to paint a message on the side of your boat telling me what to do?

(Suppose it works though, because by the time I've got cross about it I need to calm down)

Richard

Magnetman. Your magnets are causing a rift in space time. How are you editing your posts a year ago? (see your messages above)

Edited by RLWP

They are one of my personal hates. Why do you need to paint a message on the side of your boat telling me what to do?

(Suppose it works though, because by the time I've got cross about it I need to calm down)

Richard

Magnetman. Your magnets are causing a rift in space time. How are you editing your posts a year ago? (see your messages above)

I suspect that is because the "this post has been edited"... is actually a signature??? You can have similar fun sending phone texts and ending them with "***some text missing***". Oh, how we laughed.

Whatever about the name on the boat, why do people feel the need to write their names on their boats, including three forename initials?! Wasn't that practice laughed off the roads with the Ford Capri and the Morris Marina?

And yes I understand the 'Registered at...' thingie on an old boat but why put it on a modern boat?!!!

"calm down" is quite a good one I reckon.

That was the name of the first boat I ever bought - and I loathed it. Everywhere I went, you'd hear people say 'Calm Down, Calm Down' in a Liverpudlian accept (I think mimicking some TV show) and it got very annoying after a while. Was going to change the name but then decided to change the boat instead. Freaky co-incidence was the day we launched Intrepid, I'd just got on board, and my old 'Calm Down' came cruising past.

Know someone who called their boat 'Plan B' and now wishes he hadn't: sick of answering the obvious question.

Current fav is: L'eau Life - how exactly do you pronounce it properly?

Whatever about the name on the boat, why do people feel the need to write their names on their boats, including three forename initials?! Wasn't that practice laughed off the roads with the Ford Capri and the Morris Marina?

And yes I understand the 'Registered at...' thingie on an old boat but why put it on a modern boat?!!!

Ah, yes, a personal hate of mine!

To all those with "Registered at Watford" on the side;

• Bet you feel a bit silly now they moved it to Leeds
  • Bet you didn't know that "Registered at..." on old boats was nothing to do with licencing, it was to do with public health inspections

To all those with "Registered at Poynton" on the side;

• Yes, I know that you've spent frightening amounts of money on a Braidbar boat
  • Is the Poynton thing a bit like the Masonic handshake?

well, I was going to put 'isle of muck' on mine, but then my dear friend suggested I should spell Isle as AISLE. well, that was the end of me thinking about doing that, but I still think of it when I see other people writing where their boats were registered.

To all those with "Registered at Watford" on the side;

• Bet you feel a bit silly now they moved it to Leeds
  • Bet you didn't know that "Registered at..." on old boats was nothing to do with licencing, it was to do with public health inspections

Bet the boat on the coventry with 'Registered at Waford feel even sillier, though.

There's a boat on Chesapeake Bay (USA) called 'The cunning linguist', which I thought was clever. It is rumoured that it's owned by a professor of languages at a Maryland university.

You have no idea how naughty Brits can be when reging their boats in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose they could have gone for 'im and 'er or, 'er and 'im

or is there just no right way? :lol:

But it wouldn't be a clever play on 'Meander' then, would it?

Strangely, after reading this, I saw my first ever 'R Swipe' this afternoon. For the boat in question it seemed quite appropriate, though why they would, as my OH says, mug themselves off like that, I can't imagine.

I enjoy boat names and have enjoyed reading this thread. If I wasn't cruising alone so often I would be photgraphing them for a collection.

Two favourites are: "Sawley Tempted" and "Sawley Mist" I think they are both hire boats, I see them quite often.

My favourites are:

"Sailbad the Sinner" - seen on the Norfolk Broads

"I Rowboat" -a tender seen on the GU (you have to be a sci fi freak to get it.)

"The Jolly Todger" - on the GU

My unfavourite is "Our Destiny" - seen at Marsworth. I don't think I could bring myself to say it if asked!

We've seen loads of Dreamcatchers this year and the usual number of Narrow Escapes, both of which we find a bit naff. Last year on the Wey we spotted laoads of Wey puns. Weyward Girl, My Wey, etc. I did however like Steinwey whcih belonged to a piano tuner I'm told.

My favourites are:

"Sailbad the Sinner" - seen on the Norfolk Broads

"I Rowboat" -a tender seen on the GU (you have to be a sci fi freak to get it.)

"The Jolly Todger" - on the GU

My unfavourite is "Our Destiny" - seen at Marsworth. I don't think I could bring myself to say it if asked!

We've seen loads of Dreamcatchers this year and the usual number of Narrow Escapes, both of which we find a bit naff. Last year on the Wey we spotted laoads of Wey puns. Weyward Girl, My Wey, etc. I did however like Steinwey whcih belonged to a piano tuner I'm told.

I`m surprised no-one has mentioned Shy Talk yet - there`s loads of them around.

Phil

Does it need a lick of paint?

A boat from my partner's past was called Emma Chizzet. I suppose if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

One I really enjoyed moored in West London a few years ago was What a Long Strange Trip its Been. Brilliant. Grateful. Alive!

We teamed up with a boat in a lock on the GU called 'DAX+'

I had to ask where that name had come from

They had their boat 'DAX' lengthend - obvious really!

I know of a boat called 'POUYURI' If they where asked, it meant something in Polynesian but really it meant - 'P-ss off unless you're invited'

By the way - I bloody hate 'Meander'

Alex

• 1 month later...
I have been rather irritated in that last couple of days to see two boats called 'Me and Er'. Not only is it silly, but (puts on humourless feminist hat (do humourless feminists wear hats?)), but it seems rather egocentric on the part of the me, and rudely dismissive of 'er.

Perhaps one of the boats was owned by folk named Megan and Eric but they couldn't afford all the letters? :lol:

Edited by churchward