Naff Equipment

mayalld

Featured Posts

Just a tongue in cheek comment dear boy. :lol:

But it is always a matter of one mans (or womens come to that) meat is anothers poison.

For instance I don't quite see the need for

GPS

Tachos

Ammeters/Amp counters

but others might say that life is impossible without them.

GPS = Naff

Tacho possibly naff

Ammeter Definitely not naff. I would really like one so that I could judge the optimum speed for running the engine for charging. I hate doing that but sometimes it is necessary. When I do I like to run the engine as slowly as possible consistent with the best charging rate.

Nick

Now come on Dave, be serious. Who in their right mind would be so daft as to have such a thing on their boat?

Next you'll be telling me they chrome plate the things.

T :lol:

last time I used these things was in the Resolution Bay (43,000 tons). They were self tensioning and very good.

N

GPS = Naff

Tacho possibly naff

Ammeter Definitely not naff. I would really like one so that I could judge the optimum speed for running the engine for charging. I hate doing that but sometimes it is necessary. When I do I like to run the engine as slowly as possible consistent with the best charging rate.

I didn't say they were naff just not necessary in my view as I said others may think they are essential but I don't. I don't have them and I am not likely to get them.

An ammeter can be useful but I see them as a test device rather than a permanent fixture. As for Amp counters I think they are a waste of money for most situations and nothing like as useful as a Smartgauge.

I would have thought a cheap clip on test unit would help you decide the optimum engine speed v charge rate. It would get you in the ball park at least. I guess I have an aversion to putting shunts in the the large battery cables.

Edited by churchward

I wonder if you mean "cheesed down". Cheesed down ropes are in a spiral and are difficult to get hold of in a hurry.

Flaked down ropes go backwards and forwards so that the rope can run out in a hurry without getting tangled. I always flake down the chain cable and warp for my anchor when on rivers.

Nick

You are probably correct!

You can't expect somebody who doesn't go in for such things to know the terminology

Plastic duck

I'e got one of them.

But it seres a purpose- a) it relates quite happily to the boat's name, and :lol: it's got a hole in t'bottom and sits over the hasp on the slide, which has a very pointy head-gouging end if you're not careful.

Oh, I've thought of all kinds of "amusing" christmas presents for WW that will REALLY wind her up! :lol:

..err why not buy a couple of metres or so of rope and lengthen your centre rope?

Howard

I have 3 other ropes I could use, one is the right length but buried in a locker.

another is very long, very strong and i love it. but its a bit long and too expensive to leave on all the time.

Mr X who I co-own the boat with put some nasty old piece of climbing rope on as a mooring rope. he insists on using it, even if I put the good rope out when cruising.

So ive ended up using the poxy mooring rope for lock work et all. and then get extremely angry each time he asks me to throw it to shore... throw what? it barely reaches anywhere...

he thinks im too perfectionist to have cruising ropes and mooring ropes. long, nice handling, smooth running ropes for the locks and bow hauling and older, grabbier, shorter ropes for mooring.

my other pet peeve...

is when someone pulls their mooring pins out with rope attached and then dumps it on the boat as a tangled mass.

it only peeves me when its on my boat, i dont much care what other people do, so long as they dont lob a mooring pin at me if im helping them moor.

Or worse still gardening gloves?

Some of us have to wear gloves in cold or wet weather when locking, to avoid the skin on the ends of our fingers splitting and bleeding, so sometimes there may be a good reason. I prefer Rigger gloves (which look like gardening gloves from a distance) as they are more rugged, but they still get soaking wet in the rain.

So use it?

Already answered 8 posts back:

"Mr X who I co-own the boat with put some nasty old piece of climbing rope on as a mooring rope. he insists on using it, even if I put the good rope out when cruising. "

ooh, another one ..... tiny tiny anchors

that have been painted with roses and castles (badly) - weighs about the same as a bag of crisps and's expected to hold fast on a river in flood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You've guessed it.....................we no longer own it. :lol:

I :lol: this thread - it's better than going to confessional!

An appreciation of wooden boats stems from my interest in woodwork, not a desire to be different.

That said, I am rather taken with one of those whicker basket coffins.

My partners mother was buried in one of those, it also had English wildflowers woven in. She always was a hippy. :lol: