Naff Equipment

mayalld

Featured Posts

A depth sounder ?

Nope another good piece of kit. Essential for working out when it is safe to anchor, finding the navigable channel and giving you enough warning to lift the drive before grounding. Useless on a NB but essential for boats using proper water.

Steel boats.

Steel and water are not the best of friends

Steel boats.

??????????

The Royal Navy tends to rely rather heavily on them. As do most commercial shipping companies.

Though I can see why some people wooden want one. Did you see what I did there? I should be on the radio.

at least no one's mentioned my fender socks yet :lol:

Fender socks

Steel boats.

Someone better tell all the navies of the world quick.

And all the tankers.

And other bulk carriers

And cruise ships

Edited by WotEver

Hey,

when I took proud ownership of this boat, every mooring pin and windlass had it own protective coat. Many metres of pipe insulation had been carefully cut to make sure each and every implement didn't get cold in the winter.........

well , I thought thats what they were for so I binned 'em

Funnily enough, I was contemplating the reverse response. I was dragged along to see Mamma Mia, the only tolerable point of which was the classic yacht. He's got that beautiful thing and the world to cruise around in, and he goes and saddles himself with a woman! At that point, I did think to myself, "That's one thing that would be guaranteed to **** up a yacht"...

Seriously, that film is total dross. The yacht is fab but would be better sailed by a woman .....

Did I want some for my birthday????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NARROWBOAT-CUFFLINKS...0706199003r1114

No I ****** didn't!

Is there a cringe smiley?

And you looked at the listing?!!!

PS Ellen thinks they're cute but then she dragged me off to see Mamma Mia ....... (going to Manchester has totally wrecked her sense of discrimination I reckon; I knew I shouldn't have sent her north)

PPS what a about a fishfinder? (spotted on the roof of a boat heading up the K & A)

Edited by wrigglefingers

Ahh. We had one of those for the BCN challenge. In our defence it allowed us to cruise nearer to 4 MPH than by guessing.

Richard

My on-board geek tells me it was also synchronised with the bow camera so that every time the camera took a picture, the satnav recorded a position on the track record, so eventually we can tie the pictures and locations together in some clever way...

Now that is mega geeky!

N

A centre line :lol:

I have to confess to being a centre line addict. We use it for strapping to a halt whne entering broad locks. It pulls us close to the side. then we use it with the engine ahead to hold us into the side. In a strong current on the Kennet it has allowed us to hold the boat alonlside while we made fast fore and aft.

I have used it for strapping the top gates closed when I was single handed up Tardebigge. It is very long about the same length as Theodora (60') so it is useful.

May I amend the above post to "A centre line which is short enough not to get caught in the prop."

N

Perhaps they saw who was coming!

Lifejackets on canals.

I have to confess to wearing one when single handed. Locks,when full, are deep enough to drown in. If I were to fall off the top gate a land on the cill as the lock was filling and break a limb I would not be able to climb up the ladder to save myself. In this case a lifejacket would be useful.

N

I have to confess to wearing one when single handed. Locks,when full, are deep enough to drown in. If I were to fall off the top gate a land on the cill as the lock was filling and break a limb I would not be able to climb up the ladder to save myself. In this case a lifejacket would be useful.

I confess I own a full set, too. Though mainly to assuage the Forces of Darkness should she object to Princesses #1 and #2 being on board without.

A red spotty neckerchief

Waistcoat

collar less shirt

But I wear those things deliberately just to flummox the old fogeys!

I've found that they find it very hard to yell "SLOW DOWN!" and tut tut about the empty beer bottles on the roof if one is dressed in pseudo-traditional attire. Something in the brain just doesn't compute.

So what have you seen other boaters using that you wouldn't give house room to....

Side fenders permanently attached on narrowboats.

Their tiller pin as a hook for the stern line, or worse, a hook welded on for the purpose.... :lol:

Blue or even orange anti-fouling paint on a narrowboat hull...