Naff Equipment

mayalld

Featured Posts

Or, as Eddie Izzard put it, a fine line between Cool and Looking Like A Dick Head!

:lol:

I'm going to clamber into my flak-jacket, steel helmet, and lock the door to the Anderson Shelter before saying this next one ..

Never really 'get' Buckby/Water Cans unless they are on an older boat that looks like it would have had one for proper use.

[edit four spulung]

Oh dear, I've just retired and my work collegues bought me a Buckby can for Frogmoore. Dare I put it on the roof or will it have to remain below in obscurity??

Edited by Ray T

Oh dear, I've just retired and my work collegues bought me a Buckby can for Frogmoore. Dare I put it on the roof or will it have to remain below in obscurity??

Dunno. Depends on how you feel like being pointed at and having children laugh at you! :lol:

(And congrats on the retirement! :lol:)

Be careful, or the pedants will advise you that Buckby Cans are only those that were sold at the (now Closed) shop next to Buckby top lock. Identical items sold elsewhere are merely Water Cans,

I bought my can nearly forty years ago from a shop on the Farmer's Bridge flight, so I suppose I could call it a Farmer's Can.

Edited by David Schweizer

Be careful, or the pedants will advise you that Buckby Cans are only those that were sold at the (now Closed) shop next to Buckby top lock. Identical items sold elsewhere are merely Water Cans,

I bought my can nearly forty years ago from a shop on the Farmer's Bridge flight, so I suppose I could call it a Farmer's Can.

Actually it came from Whilton chandlery so does that make it a "carpet can"?

Edited by Ray T

What I would hope not to be seen dead in is a narrowboat with a varnished wooden interior with brass handles every where.

Sue

It's the varnished wooden exterior with brass handles that I want to avoid, for as long as possible.

But I guess I'll be seen dead in one, eventually.

Half net curtains

A cup/glass holder at the stern

A fake spiders web in the swan neck

"My other boat's a submarine" sticker

A six foot white VHF aerial

Digital rev counter

Old squeezey car horn

:lol:

BTW I have loads of the things listed

It's the varnished wooden exterior with brass handles that I want to avoid, for as long as possible.

But I guess I'll be seen dead in one, eventually.

I thought, in keeping with what appears to be an obvious desire to remain apart from the crowd, you might go for one of those in metal. Or GRP, possibly ?

I thought, in keeping with what appears to be an obvious desire to remain apart from the crowd, you might go for one of those in metal. Or GRP, possibly ?

An appreciation of wooden boats stems from my interest in woodwork, not a desire to be different.

That said, I am rather taken with one of those whicker basket coffins.

An appreciation of wooden boats stems from my interest in woodwork, not a desire to be different.

That said, I am rather taken with one of those whicker basket coffins.

We tried one of those, briefly, but couldn't find a bilge pump that would pump fast enough.

Ah well. That could be debated.

We have a fishing rod hung from the radar arch and have never had a fisherman shout at us or scowl at us yet. They see the rod and count you as one of them :lol:

Radar arch

"Welcome Aboard" clock

We have a "Welcome Aboard" mat. :lol:

I know, I know, but it was on the boat when we got it, is not worn out, is the right size, and I'm a tight bu**er!.....

It does have it's entertainment value, though.

Our son likes everything to be logical and correct, so putting it so it reads "Welcome Aboard" only when you are leaving the boat winds him up a treat.

I like to see how long I can have it "wrong way around" before he spots and "corrects" it !..............

Why do all our local rail stations have "Welcome to <town name>" in foot high letters, but only over the entrance, so you only see it when leaving the town ? :lol:

Flaked down ropes

I wonder if you mean "cheesed down". Cheesed down ropes are in a spiral and are difficult to get hold of in a hurry.

Flaked down ropes go backwards and forwards so that the rope can run out in a hurry without getting tangled. I always flake down the chain cable and warp for my anchor when on rivers.

Nick

fake traditional narrowboats. fake rivets, fancy painted cans on the roof that serve no purpose other than to look pretty.

rosie and jim dolls.

fake stick on roses and castles ( and yes there is still a few around my boat I havent got around to removing)

any boat modified beyond its original design with the angular use of marine ply.

people can dress how they like, but when they put on a special outfit for cruising a narrowboat/canal boat that is different to their normal daily attire... that makes me giggle a bit.

the worst thing on my boat is a centreline that is 2 meters too short. I put up with it for a peaceful life, but it winds me up everytime i use it, or try to.

fake traditional narrowboats. fake rivets, fancy painted cans on the roof that serve no purpose other than to look pretty.

rosie and jim dolls.

fake stick on roses and castles ( and yes there is still a few around my boat I havent got around to removing)

any boat modified beyond its original design with the angular use of marine ply.

people can dress how they like, but when they put on a special outfit for cruising a narrowboat/canal boat that is different to their normal daily attire... that makes me giggle a bit.

the worst thing on my boat is a centreline that is 2 meters too short. I put up with it for a peaceful life, but it winds me up everytime i use it, or try to.

..err why not buy a couple of metres or so of rope and lengthen your centre rope?

Howard