Naff Equipment

mayalld

Featured Posts

It's highly amusing to see people who clearly think they are the best judge of "boating naffness" suddenly flat out on the defensive when something they have or something they do gets listed. :lol:

........ and, (other than the cost if one is lost!), WTF is the problem with an alloy windlass ? :lol:

What haven't we had .......

Folding tiller bars ?

Tiller pins that would look more appropriate on a front door, (or in a cocktail) ?

15" diameter brass searchlights for use as tunnel lights ?

Ask the Thames lock-keepers who usually copes better..... The plastic or the steel ?

Alloy windlass ..yep got one ..not always used but I do like it

15" Bras searchlight.. got one of those too somewhere in a box in the lock up..but I prefer my old car headlamp that is on the boat

Tiller pin... we have several all old fireside items except for my old one which was cast using a friends one as a pattern 30 odd years ago

Centre rope is "cheesed"down when not in use but run back to the slide when travelling

Leather hat Guilty

Narrowboat on rivers VERY guilty

Oh I better sell the boat and buy a nice safe motorhome

It's highly amusing to see people who clearly think they are the best judge of "boating naffness" suddenly flat out on the defensive when something they have or something they do gets listed. :lol:

........ and, (other than the cost if one is lost!), WTF is the problem with an alloy windlass ? :lol:

What haven't we had .......

Folding tiller bars ?

Tiller pins that would look more appropriate on a front door, (or in a cocktail) ?

15" diameter brass searchlights for use as tunnel lights ?

Ask the Thames lock-keepers who usually copes better..... The plastic or the steel ?

But chromed ones are OK!!!!

Generally what people do with their ropes is their own affair I guess but my own preference is to have ropes ready for use which I agree would normally exclude the practice of coiling. However, I do coil one of our ropes on the roof. I have two middle ropes one ready for action of approx 10m and another for deeper locks etc on rivers or elsewhere of about 15m. It keeps the longer one (not often used) out of the way to be coiled up and also serves as a buffer where I place it for the mid hatch to rest on when open.

All the things mentioned on here are people's own affair. This is about what people think is naff, not what we think should be banned (now, that would be another thread entirely.....)

I'm surprised though of all the things mentioned that the Flemish coils should have such a following. They do trap water and are bad for both the rope and the boat underneath it. As well as looking naff.

How about Naff Threads on forums in equipment sections about Naff equipment? :lol::lol:

Perhaps this thread would be better in the VP

Ah well, it was good going to get to six pages with people taking it in the right spirit.

Edited by WarriorWoman

Ah well, it was good going to get to six pages with people taking it in the right spirit.

Aww shame. You are obviously not in tune with my sense of humor.

If this is all about ones own opinion about naffness I fail to see why my opinion is not welcome or indeed why a suggestion something could be in the VP (where the fun could continue) is a pejorative comment and not in the right spirit? Still, perhaps I misunderstand you too.

Edited by churchward

I'm surprised though of all the things mentioned that the Flemish coils should have such a following. They do trap water and are bad for both the rope and the boat underneath it. As well as looking naff.

Personally I found that bit quite enlightening. (So my initial "What's wrong" was more of an "Oh. Whats wrong? You've been doing this longer than me, so what have I missed?") Always happy to learn something new! :lol:

Personally I found that bit quite enlightening. (So my initial "What's wrong" was more of an "Oh. Whats wrong? You've been doing this longer than me, so what have I missed?") Always happy to learn something new! :lol:

Isn't using Flemish coils also bad for the structure of the rope? There's a better method of flaking that was used by t'Royal Navy in days of yore that's kinder on the rope and allows it to be picked up without fouling, but the method escapes me. Of course, the Royal Navy used to Flemish, too. To make the decks looks pretty for inspection (when not under way) and to give the sailors something pointless to do, along with a good excuse for a thrashing if you didn't get it quite right. Hurray! That's why I get my girls to Flemish one of mine.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Isn't using Flemish coils also bad for the structure of the rope? There's a better method of flaking that was used by t'Royal Navy in days of yore that's kinder on the rope and allows it to be picked up without fouling, but the method escapes me. Of course, the Royal Navy used to Flemish, too. To make the decks looks pretty for inspection (when not under way) and to give the sailors something pointless to do, along with a good excuse for a thrashing if you didn't get it quite right. Hurray! That's why I get my girls to Flemish one of mine.

I always Flemish both of our centre lines (gosh, two misdemeanours in one phrase) because I think it looks pretty :lol:

Cos you can't use the other great 'must have', a sea-searcher to fish them out when you drop them in !!!!!

It's not really 'equipment', but no-one has mentioned 'horrid cheesey boat names' yet. You know, things like "Our Little Dream".

Bleurghghghhhhh...

I couldn't help but notice your own boat name isn't in your sig for reciprocal criticism from the owners of "My Little Pony", et al...

How about Naff Threads on forums in equipment sections about Naff equipment? :lol::lol:

Perhaps this thread would be better in the VP

I considered the VP, but decided that this was an (at least semi-) serious bit of fun.

There are certain things that some boaters deem to be vital that others reckon to be utter crap. It is interesting to look at what lies where on the naff/vital continuum, and that is a valid subject!

Oh you're very kind, but I'm sure I haven't been doing it longer than you, I just read that somewhere and it made sense. I think it's naff precisely because it puts appearance before utility.

There are certain things that some boaters deem to be vital that others reckon to be utter crap. It is interesting to look at what lies where on the naff/vital continuum, and that is a valid subject!

Or, as Eddie Izzard put it, a fine line between Cool and Looking Like A Dick Head!

:lol:

I'm going to clamber into my flak-jacket, steel helmet, and lock the door to the Anderson Shelter before saying this next one ..

Never really 'get' Buckby/Water Cans unless they are on an older boat that looks like it would have had one for proper use.

[edit four spulung]

Edited by Chris J W

What's wrong with coiling up ropes?

The biggest problem is that when you decide to use the rope, the only sensible way to unravel it is to pick the end up from the centre of the coil and pull. This causes the rope to twist.

I considered the VP, but decided that this was an (at least semi-) serious bit of fun.

Just a tongue in cheek comment dear boy. :lol:

But it is always a matter of one mans (or womens come to that) meat is anothers poison.

For instance I don't quite see the need for

GPS

Tachos

Ammeters/Amp counters

but others might say that life is impossible without them.

Well at least a few people know what they really really like and also what they they is naff....

I have a few "doubtfulls" but as I didnt buy them, and are "key fittings" I will continue to enjoy and polish,,,,

Must fit that 24in chrome searchlight - it will clash will all my brass though ,...

some pet annoyances / naff things.... 3 colour ropes... twee.. stainless steel and chromed chains fender attachments...

mind you the chap did have white trousers and a clean yellow duster.....

photographers - no b@gger has yet paid a quid for the pics they take of our boat..and we have had 100's taken

Ensign flag flyers.... .....

Naff paint jobs ( i refer to the battle ship grey, sage green (all painted by fluffy roller or emulsion brushes)

and to bright purple - with or without yellow trim efect

and any one who has built a "junk" cratch on the front out of old pallets and plastic sheet and driftwood....

off to the beer festival and mutter about how ugly wide beams can look... a case of your arse does look big out there!!

The biggest problem is that when you decide to use the rope, the only sensible way to unravel it is to pick the end up from the centre of the coil and pull. This causes the rope to twist.

What if you coil it the other way round so the end is on the outside of the spiral?

photographers - no b@gger has yet paid a quid for the pics they take of our boat..and we have had 100's taken

We've done worse than that. We came across a picture of our boat in one of the mags and bought a picture off the photographer!

Richard

He was a bit surprised that we weren't Alvechurch

Even though we've moved on from that now, I'd have to (personally) disagree there. Centre-line when moored up is easy enough to get when setting off as I'd hold with my left and flick it to the tow-path with my right so it unspools. As for the stern-line when it's on the hatch-roof underway - curled with the eye out, so picked up so that the eye goes on the dolly and then flicked to the tow-path. (Erm. Probably easier to demonstrate than to explain!) But really can't remember a time when it's been twisted sufficiently to cause a problem.

Either way - it's still something to bear in mind.

I'm going to clamber into my flak-jacket, steel helmet, and lock the door to the Anderson Shelter before saying this next one ..

Never really 'get' Buckby/Water Cans unless they are on an older boat that looks like it would have had one for proper use.

[edit four spulung]

Yes, fear I am borderline naff on that one. But at least I know it...

Still causes twisting when you unravel it.

But looks ever so pretty up until that point :lol:

Never found the twisting to be much of a problem with decent rope, myself.

T :lol:

... There's a better method of flaking that was used by t'Royal Navy in days of yore that's kinder on the rope and allows it to be picked up without fouling, but the method escapes me...

Just looked it up and it's the "figure 8 flake", you should be using (if you insist on flaking). I expect to see everyone out on their roofs adopting this practice forthwith...*

*That's a joke, by the way, I don't really. Thought it best I point that out to avoid confusion.