Lucy is afloat!

carlt

Featured Posts

If Laura Carter and, now, Sir John Knill's son, are happy for the name to remain, then that is good enough for me.

At the end of the day it is up to Pete, as the owner to name his boat anything he likes.

It is also worth noting that, if Lucy were a seagoing boat, she would be described a "composite" vessel, having a great deal of ironwork, in her construction.

It isn't just the timbers that make up the boat.

Yes that's true.

Still, whether labelled restoration, re-build or new build the project is totally fascinating and the end product could be a real flagship of waterways. In some ways it is worth doing if only to record how such a boat is made and the skills and issues involved. I shall follow events with eager anticipation as they say.

By the sound of it the resulting boat will be worthy of the name Lucy and as you say if the families involved are happy then that ought to be good enough.

I know it's not always been the case but that would break the current DVLA registration rules if done today. The vehicle you built would under the rules be classed as a 'Reconstructed Classic'. It would need to be certified as a replica by the relevant car club. Exempt from BIVA (formerly SVA), it would be given an age related registration as insuficient components were used from the donor vehicle.

True, but not easy to prove one way or tother. Anyhow that was not the way it was at the time. The van was built very nearly 20 years ago now and it is still in concourse condition.

I object more to their "restoration" banner, than the name.

In some ways, by retaining the name, any resto/replication project is providing a rod for its own back because there will always be anoraks turning up and pointing out discrepancies.

Raymond is less accurate than most but they all have their faults, some positively glaring.

I am an occassional steerer with "Freinds of Raymond" steerer, having got involved shortly after they bought NUTFIELD when they needed members that could handle a pair. I always object when I hear members refering to RAYMOND as a "restoration" as it clearly never was. It is a new wooden boat that has has merely taken the identity of an older boat, although the new boat does use iron work taken from the older one. I think this is the same with the motor SEVERN and the horse boat SATURN, both of which had their old hulls broken up.

The term "anorak" is used quite a bit within this forum which I think is both a shame and unnecessary. We all started out knowing little and surely with the passing of time have learnt enough to educate the misguided enthusiast rather than ridicule him / her.

I am an occassional steerer with "Freinds of Raymond" steerer, having got involved shortly after they bought NUTFIELD when they needed members that could handle a pair. I always object when I hear members refering to RAYMOND as a "restoration" as it clearly never was. It is a new wooden boat that has has merely taken the identity of an older boat, although the new boat does use iron work taken from the older one. I think this is the same with the motor SEVERN and the horse boat SATURN, both of which had their old hulls broken up.

The term "anorak" is used quite a bit within this forum which I think is both a shame and unnecessary. We all started out knowing little and surely with the passing of time have learnt enough to educate the misguided enthusiast rather than ridicule him / her.

Pete,

You have educated me about Severn - I didn't realise it was a reconstruction. When was it done, please ? The reason I ask is that within the last year or two I saw them cutting the entire counter block off for replacement, (with a chain-saw!).

I'm sort of surprised that would be necessary on a "new build", or did they use some wooden parts from the original, which they are now having to replace ?

As to the anorak thing, I must admit I can't get wound up about it, TBH. Most of the time I think people are directing it at themselves, rather than trying to take the p*ss out of others.

The anorak I was referring to was actually me as I'm a noted critic of the Raymond rebuild.

There's no shame in being an anorak.

As Nina Simone (celebrity train spotter) said:

To be a young, gifted anorak,

Oh what a lovely precious dream

To be a young, gifted anorak,

Open your heart to what I mean

In the whole world you know

There are billion boys and girls

Who are young, gifted anoraks,

And that's a fact!

Young, gifted anorak

We must begin to tell our young

There's a world waiting for you

This is a quest that's just begun

When you feel really low

Yeah, there's a great truth you should know

When you're a young, gifted anorak

Your souls intact

Young, gifted anorak

How I long to know the truth

There are times when I look back

And I am haunted by my youth

Oh but my joy of today

Is that we can all be proud to say

To be young, gifted anoraks

Is where its at

Pete,

You have educated me about Severn - I didn't realise it was a reconstruction. When was it done, please ? The reason I ask is that within the last year or two I saw them cutting the entire counter block off for replacement, (with a chain-saw!).

The Severn was rebuilt/launched about 10 - 12 years ago

Pete,

I'm sort of surprised that would be necessary on a "new build", or did they use some wooden parts from the original, which they are now having to replace ?

As to the anorak thing, I must admit I can't get wound up about it, TBH. Most of the time I think people are directing it at themselves, rather than trying to take the p*ss out of others.

The current motor boat SEVERN was built alongside the remains of the old SEVERN by Jem Bates at his Puttenham boatyard on the Aylesbury Arm. Jem told me that the old SEVERN was known as the 'gunwale boat' prior to his acquisition of it as thats about all that there was. The old hull was used as a template but I am sure there was no counter block to move onto the new boat. The new SEVERN was launched in October 1997 and the remains of the old boat were cut up. As is usual in these reproductions the iron work from the old boat was transfered to the new boat giving some historical authenticity to maintaining the name SEVERN. The other historical link with this boat is its 25hp Seffle engine which had been in the former F.M.C. motor boat LILY from 1963 to 1998 and had been supplied new in about 1956 to Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company (fitted into their motor boat MALLARD or SANDPIPER - both of which had Seffle's).

The current motor boat SEVERN was built alongside the remains of the old SEVERN by Jem Bates at his Puttenham boatyard on the Aylesbury Arm. Jem told me that the old SEVERN was known as the 'gunwale boat' prior to his acquisition of it as thats about all that there was. The old hull was used as a template but I am sure there was no counter block to move onto the new boat. The new SEVERN was launched in October 1997 and the remains of the old boat were cut up. As is usual in these reproductions the iron work from the old boat was transfered to the new boat giving some historical authenticity to maintaining the name SEVERN. The other historical link with this boat is its 25hp Seffle engine which had been in the former F.M.C. motor boat LILY from 1963 to 1998 and had been supplied new in about 1956 to Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company (fitted into their motor boat MALLARD or SANDPIPER - both of which had Seffle's).

Thanks, Pete.

The counter is a bit of a mystery then, as I'm sure it was Severn that was being refitted in the Marsworth dry dock a year or two back.

One of the chaps said the new one was being cut from a piece of oak estimated to be (I think) 450 years old. I don't know if that was a story for the spectators though. :lol:

If the new Severn had been built with all new wood, I'm surprised such drastic action would be required after only about 10 years - perhaps a duff piece had been used first time around ?. If I see anybody to ask, I will.

Wonderful boat, with a wonderful engine though whether largely new or not - a personal favourite of mine, whenever I see it moving.

The counter is a bit of a mystery then, as I'm sure it was Severn that was being refitted in the Marsworth dry dock a year or two back.

I know of several occasions when a boat has been rebuilt with a counter block made up of several pieces, because a big enough lump of wood couldn't be found.

I have no idea if this was the case, with Severn, but they may have been replacing a temporary "composite" counter block, because they found a big enough block of oak.

I know of several occasions when a boat has been rebuilt with a counter block made up of several pieces, because a big enough lump of wood couldn't be found.

I have no idea if this was the case, with Severn, but they may have been replacing a temporary "composite" counter block, because they found a big enough block of oak.

I think it was something like a dolly fixing went into a knot and over the few years a soft cavity formed in what looked like a good block of wood.

Fortunately Ben wasn't still living in the back cabin as it was a bit draughty for a week.....

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...
To be called an anorak on this forum I would take as the highest praise. I aspire to anorakdom. Likewise rivet counter (though I suspect I shall never attain such heady heights)

Yep Anorak is OK Rivet Counter takes years of study and one treads a fine line between detailed "expert" and complete plank. Many aspire, some try but few attain the holy grail of rivet counting sans plankdom! :lol::lol:

Many aspire, some try but few attain the holy grail of rivet counting sans plankdom! :lol::lol:

I think you'll find some anoraks aspire to plankdom and feel the status of "rivet counter" is merely a lower level, on the greasy pole.

Back ON TOPIC how is Lucy comming along? Any progress?

I think it will be some time before visible progress is made. There's a lot of measuring and recording to be done.

I think you'll find some anoraks aspire to plankdom and feel the status of "rivet counter" is merely a lower level, on the greasy pole.

I think it will be some time before visible progress is made. There's a lot of measuring and recording to be done.

The only work going on when I passed Lucy's new resting place a coule of weeks ago was someone cutting the grass. I suppose someone has to do it!

Are you sure? I would have thought 'plankdom' is what wooden boat enthusiasts aspire to. Mind you, I would agree to a genuine 'plank' being better than a 'rivet counter'. As they always said, 'Wooden boats, iron men''.

Are you sure? I would have thought 'plankdom' is what wooden boat enthusiasts aspire to.

That was my point.

I regard myself merely an anorak, regarding canals and work boats, in general, but a total plank, when it comes to wooden boats.

That was my point.

I regard myself merely an anorak, regarding canals and work boats, in general, but a total plank, when it comes to wooden boats.

It can't be that simple. What kind of plank?

Richard

The only work going on when I passed Lucy's new resting place a coule of weeks ago was someone cutting the grass. I suppose someone has to do it!

Peter (the guy who now owns Lucy) has been busy having security gates made and welded into place along with having to erect all the fencing and making the place secure, which has taken up most of his time. (Having to work round a duck with 14 eggs has slowed progress.) He has also just turned 60 and had an extended weekend 'rave' in Braunston to celebrate. He told me that his next major purchase would be timber that he needs to weather etc. (a bit over my head - not the timber that is) but, as mentioned previously, it is all a matter of measuring, drafting etc. etc.. He plans on opening up for the Braunston show for people to have a wander round and look at her. If I find out anything more I'll let you all know.

Terence

Is this the lucy that is now on nbw and if it is can anyone involved with her explain why bw have been left to clear up the mess , if they have as nbw has stated.

Because NBW and their "informed" sources don't know their Arses from their Elbows !

Chris