Lucy is afloat!

carlt

Featured Posts

I spent the day at Wolfhampcote today, helping Pete refloat Lucy.

Unfortunately I missed the final moments because I fell over and badly cut a finger, so ended up in casualty (8 stitches, no tendon damage).

Swmbo took these photos when she gave Laura (Belmont) a lift back from ER (I was unable to drive).

I also missed the celebratory beer!

Image058.jpg

Image057.jpg

Good news, (Lucy), and bad news (injury). Hope the damage is not too painful.

I thought you had declared yourself a non drinker, or perhaps it was near non drinker, and this would be a special enough occasion.

Any progress on finding anybody to take on Usk ?

Alan

It hurts lots!

I describe myself as "near tee-total" but I would have shared a celebratory beer, on refloating a boat.

Usk is a bit complicated, at the moment, but things may become clearer soon.

The pain's fading now so I'll be able to start milking it, in earnest, soon!

Guess you're down to a 1 finger typist now then.... :lol:

Good news on the rescue, if a little sad that it will doubtless lead to Lucy being broken up once the replica is complete.

Guess you're down to a 1 finger typist now then.... :lol:

Good news on the rescue, if a little sad that it will doubtless lead to Lucy being broken up once the replica is complete.

I understand that Pete is replacing plank for plank, rather than a side by side rebuild but I know what you mean.

Unfortunately the alternative is to let her return to nature. She's too far gone for restoration.

I have always believed that a proper rebuild beats a restoration job anyday. Some things were designed to last forever, provided they were properly rebuilt at appropriate intervals. Restoring something to its rapidly decaying state is a job for museum conservators. Personally I would rather see working boats working - even if we all know that they have been rebuilt umpteen times and are only 'working' for the purpose of demonstrating an historical mode of transport and way of life.

The pain's fading now so I'll be able to start milking it, in earnest, soon!

Sorry to hear about the injury - unlike boats the human body has remarkable self healing powers and hopefully, in time, you will be left with little more than an iritating scar. :lol:

Good news about Lucy. We passed Usk and Lucy last weekend and it looks as if Usk is going to be something of a challenge to any prospective rebuilder - the fire damage appears to have been far more extensive than it appeared a few months back. Am I right in thinking that she has also had further attention from thieves and vandals?

For the uninitiated, what happens now, please Carl ?

So she is floating, and apparently gift wrapped in much plastic.

Does she now have to be towed somewhere in that state ?

If so, how far, and when is that likely to happen, please ?

And if that plastic goes right underneath, how's that done, then, if she is on the bottom when you start ?

(You can see I don't know much about raising wooden boats, can't you ? :lol: )

For the uninitiated, what happens now, please Carl ?

So she is floating, and apparently gift wrapped in much plastic.

Does she now have to be towed somewhere in that state ?

If so, how far, and when is that likely to happen, please ?

And if that plastic goes right underneath, how's that done, then, if she is on the bottom when you start ?

(You can see I don't know much about raising wooden boats, can't you ? :lol: )

She was refloated, pushed out into the deeper water and a 25m tarp pulled under her.

She was towed down to the Turn (where Pete's yard is) last night and will be towed the further 200 yards, or so, to the Marina, on Thursday, when she'll be craned out and driven the 200 yards or so back to Pete's yard.

Here she is, on Pete's mooring, this morning:

PIC_0089.jpg

Lift on Thursday.

A cradle has been built, from RSJs which will be lowered into the water and Lucy will be floated over it and this will be craned out, supporting the boat.

it will doubtless lead to Lucy being broken up once the replica is complete.

Having spoken to Pete, this morning, it appears that he is planning a side by side replica build.

Edited by carlt

I remember the Mary Rose being lifted in a cradle in 1982.

I guess the same goes here then.

Good luck, I trust you will publish photos?

Keep that gi-nagarous finger away from the strops.

Martyn

I remember the Mary Rose being lifted in a cradle in 1982.

I guess the same goes here then.

Good luck, I trust you will publish photos?

Keep that gi-nagarous finger away from the strops.

Martyn

I will be standing well back, camera in hand, and letting the lifting experts do their stuff.

What Time? I have a hospital appointment at noon, (Coventry of course :lol: ) So will probably miss it! I'd love to be there!

Tony.

I don't know yet, Pete needs to speak to Tim Coghlan and he'll be letting me know later.

Congratulations on getting Lucy afloat I shall follow her rebuild with interest. We could see a lot of activity as we approached Woolfhampcote from the turn yesterday afternoon, and recognised the James Loader from a distance, so assumed that something interrsting was happening

It was good to finaly meet you, (If you can call a brief chat as we passed by, a meeting!) Sorry to hear about your injury Carl. It was obviously the excitement of seeing us pass by, that caused a momentary lack of concentration.

My wife commented that you looked quite a young chap, so I reminded her that compared with me, you are young. Compliments over :lol: