No more Ledgard Bridge

Featured Posts

Well I might as well break the news Ledgard Bridge Boats are no more with the last boats completed and a seemingly unfillable gap in the order book before any further potential build start dates the writing was on the wall.

In the current market no one was willing to invest further funds to bridge the gap in orders so a administrator was appointed last week the staff were laid off and the business in real terms ended.

There weren't any unfinished boats or customers with lost deposits but obviously there will be creditors which hopefully compared to many other business failures will be fairly minimal.

So there you have it for the first time in about 180 years there isn't a boatbuilder on the Calder & Hebble in Mirfield.

People keep asking me when "they" will start up again or why I didn't buy it back again? In simple terms my view is that the days of boatbuilding in the UK are numbered so trying to do a Phoenix resurrection although perfectly possible doesn't make any sense and it is better left well alone.

One small part will remain in that canalboatbits in the name sense was bought by the lass in the office that used to administrate it and she is working towards being back online and trading with her own new business in a few weeks time. :lol:

So that's the facts before the towpath telegraph version of events is broadcast.

Although largely being involved only at arms length in recent months it's still a bit gutting seeing it go from turning business away to having none in the space of 12 months after all those years trading. :lol:

Edited by Gary Peacock

Although largely being involved only at arms length in recent months it's still a bit gutting seeing it go from turning business away to having none in the space of 12 months after all those years trading. :lol:

Very sad news, Gary. Best of luck in the future to all involved.

Very sad to hear this news.

As one who got 'stung' big time when our builder, Severn Valley Narrowboat Centre, went bust, it is refreshing to know that customers in this instant all got their finished boats, and none lost any deposits paid.

At least the directors of Ledgard can hold their heads up high should they see any ex-customers.

Regards,

Pav.

Well I might as well break the news Ledgard Bridge Boats are no more with the last boats completed and a seemingly unfillable gap in the order book before any further potential build start dates the writing was on the wall.

In the current market no one was willing to invest further funds to bridge the gap in orders so a administrator was appointed last week the staff were laid off and the business in real terms ended.

There weren't any unfinished boats or customers with lost deposits but obviously there will be creditors which hopefully compared to many other business failures will be fairly minimal.

So there you have it fore the first time in about 180 years there isn't a boatbuilder on the Calder & Hebble in Mirfield.

People keep asking me when "they" will start up again or why I didn't buy it back again? In simple terms my view is that the days of boatbuilding in the UK are numbered so trying to do a Phoenix resurrection although perfectly possible doesn't make any sense and it is better left well alone.

One small part will remain in that canalboatbits in the name sense was bought by the lass in the office that used to administrate it and she is working towards being back online and trading with her own new business in a few weeks time. :lol:

So there you have it before the towpath telegraph version of events is broadcast.

I am always sad when any business finds that it can't continue, in any industry.

I,likw others wish you all good luck for the future.

I find it "slightly" interesting to see what may happen in 1/2/3 years time when all this sad stuff comes to and end and the demand for new boats, any style, grows back again.

Sad, very sad.

sorry to see the business go,as a small business owner i appreaciate just how tough things are at present.The banks are not lending money so fianance is a major problem and the east european boatyards who do not have to pay the "minimum wage" are undercutting everyone.

The country has gone to the dogs,to many immigrants and too many job dodgers are shafting the system

Hi Gary, I've never met you or been to your yard, but I have enjoyed your recent contributions to the forum and was immensely impressed with the time lapse builds, be nice if you could find somewhere for them to be always available, just so us newbie’s can see how it's done.

It's always sad when a business closes it must feel that a bit of you has died. I have a business in Devon and I'm looking to retire but I don't want it to close, there's a lot of me in there, as I'm sure there was of you in Ledgard, and I have some good blokes working for me and just don't want to let them down, and I'm not for one second suggesting you have.

I think I can imagine how you are feeling at the moment even though you had already moved on. [into IT IIRC].

Good luck for the future, and who knows, maybe when the economy takes an upward turn we may yet see Ledgard back, it does have a readymade reputation after all.

Regards

John

Edited by johnjo

As a Mirfield lad born and bred, I am particularly sad to hear that the town has lost its boat building heritage.

I really hope that the guys manage to find work as what I have seen of the product was fabulous.

As a boating bystander I was always keen to read the successes at Legard Bridge. It is a good businessman who sees a market and it takes a better one to realise when the time has come to get out!

Best wishes for the future - will it be a new life on the French Canals?

I have met Gary, and seen round the facility and 2 boats, all excellent in every way especially the electrical installation, very sorry to hear the news

It was the sort of business that you felt was professional and well run in a good facility not like some I have seen more on the rough and ready side. If Legard was in trouble I can see a number of other small builders being in the same position

Charles

I have met Gary, and seen round the facility and 2 boats, all excellent in every way especially the electrical installation, very sorry to hear the news

It was the sort of business that you felt was professional and well run in a good facility not like some I have seen more on the rough and ready side. If Legard was in trouble I can see a number of other small builders being in the same position

Charles

Sorry to see the business close, but full marks to biting the bullet, finishing the current work and calling time rather than prolong the situation and risking causing pain down the line....

I must admit that during the build of our current boat recently down here in the South, the most worrying thing was whether the builder might fold before completion, although no signs of it at any stage, and they are still building - One of the reasons I chose a "local" builder was so that I could be in regular touch and visit often, and the fact they also had a large (I assume about 20 boats is large) hire fleet that seemed to be always fully booked which I reasoned would help them through.....

A proper gentleman - and noble, but I am sure very sad for everyone involved.....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx