Current price of fuels....

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Irrespective of the price it will be definitely be served without a smile, if my last experience is anything to go by. I felt as if I had really ruined their day, judging by the discourteous and bad tempered attituide displayed by the person in the office, and I had to put it in myself. I will never purchase fuel from them again.

I suspect you are talking about the owner, David!

Cow Roast (Grand Union) and Fenny Compton (Oxford) are under the same ownership, and different members of the family work at the two locations on different days.

My guess is that the Fenny Compton fuel price will largely mirror the Cow Roast one. That was still 70 ppl for non-propulsion only a few days ago. Of course if they think the market on the Oxford will stand more, it could be even higher.

Is filling up yourself that unusual ? I seem to have done it at several locations on our travels.

I would be interesed to hear what the current prices are at Fenny Compton. We last topped up in, beleive me or not, in September last.

I know you must be thinking "he don't use his much". I would use it far far more but "I haven't been well you know".

The couple of times that we've been to the boat we have travelled south, not very far either.

I have seen the prices at Banbury, earlier post, and need to pumpout and refuel, Fenny being the nearest. Soveriegn at Banbury have unusual trading hours. I beleive they are closed at the weekends from Thursday. Most non liveaboards surely use their boats at the weekend. I may be wrong about the opening hours but that is what I have been told.

Ditchcrawler I would appriciate a nod from you if you find out the prices.

Taa Martyn

I would be interesed to hear what the current prices are at Fenny Compton. We last topped up in, beleive me or not, in September last.

I know you must be thinking "he don't use his much". I would use it far far more but "I haven't been well you know".

The couple of times that we've been to the boat we have travelled south, not very far either.

I have seen the prices at Banbury, earlier post, and need to pumpout and refuel, Fenny being the nearest. Soveriegn at Banbury have unusual trading hours. I beleive they are closed at the weekends from Thursday. Most non liveaboards surely use their boats at the weekend. I may be wrong about the opening hours but that is what I have been told.

Ditchcrawler I would appriciate a nod from you if you find out the prices.

Taa Martyn

Banbury open Monday to Thursday 10 to 4 and closed for lunch.

Banbury open Monday to Thursday 10 to 4 and closed for lunch.

Be warned it is a long lunch usually between 12 an 2. but the prices are usually good.

I suspect you are talking about the owner, David!

Cow Roast (Grand Union) and Fenny Compton (Oxford) are under the same ownership, and different members of the family work at the two locations on different days.

My guess is that the Fenny Compton fuel price will largely mirror the Cow Roast one. That was still 70 ppl for non-propulsion only a few days ago. Of course if they think the market on the Oxford will stand more, it could be even higher.

Is filling up yourself that unusual ? I seem to have done it at several locations on our travels.

In my experience yes. In fact most suppliers I have used have insisted on filling themselves, apparently because they they are legally liable for any spillage, irrespective of who actually put the fuel into the boat.

On the subject of Fenny Compton.

I have varied experiences here.

Two ladies work the business during the day. Never seen a chap.

One lady does weekdays and the other Sundays.

David has said his experience and I have to agree on the whole. However just once or twice we have had smiles and "some" helpful comments. I don't think they want to be there.

I would just love to run that business for the owner.

On the ownership aspect. Not sure if all but certainly some of the business has changed hands. The maintenance,drydock etc. is now owned by a really helpful chap Ian Taylor. I'll tell you a little story. I was getting fuel as mentioned and a boater, who didn't understand engine bits and bobs, had a problem with his engine. It had been serviced by "his" yard and they had put a fan/drive belt on that was far far too big with no adjustment, so that the alternator was not charging the batteries. He had stopped to spend some money and test the humour in the shop and couldn't restart. I fixed it for him after getting the correct belt from Ian for just a small amount of money. He could have said that "he" would like to do it but he didn't. Good for him.

Why can't people on the canals offering a service to users of said canal not be happy to give this service.

Martyn

In my experience yes. In fact most suppliers I have used have insisted on filling themselves, apparently because they they are legally liable for any spillage, irrespective of who actually put the fuel into the boat.

Fair enough!

At Cow Roast you certainly only ever do your own filling - they hand you the keys to the pump.

As Fenny Compton marina is under the same ownership, although I've never yet visited, I'm not surprised if the same arrangements apply.

I can't remember now where else I've done it unsupervised recently - Uxbridge, I have a feeling, whereas someone like Union Canal Carriers, and Calcutt have both been in attendance, but actually passed the nozzle to me to put it in.

On the ownership aspect. Not sure if all but certainly some of the business has changed hands. The maintenance,drydock etc. is now owned by a really helpful chap Ian Taylor.

Yes, I'll accept that, and the engineer at Cow Roast is a separate outfit to the marina itself, (although I believe all the dock, slipway, workshops etc are still owned by the marina).

I was going to say more, but as we moor at Cow Roast, Cath feels it better if I don't. :lol:

Understand your caution Alan.

I am now thinking, even if I want refuel at Fenny they may now not want my business.

Fenny is a good looking marine though.

Martyn

I wonder where the fuel boat is on the Oxford.

Anyone know that one then?

Irrespective of the price it will be definitely be served without a smile, if my last experience is anything to go by. I felt as if I had really ruined their day, judging by the discourteous and bad tempered attituide displayed by the person in the office, and I had to put it in myself. I will never purchase fuel from them again.

If all fuel suppliers were as as competively priced and friendly as you were when we filled up from you two years ago, the world would be a happier place George.

I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Thanks for those kind words. 68.3 litres at 49.5ppl on 10th August 2006 I remember it well:-) (or to be truthful I keep my records). Yes I am enjoying retirement but I miss the boat a lot. Fortunately the new owner Brian McGuigan works the same patch so I get the chance for a day out when I want steering. I leave the coal to him though:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks for those kind words. 68.3 litres at 49.5ppl on 10th August 2006 I remember it well:-) (or to be truthful I keep my records). Yes I am enjoying retirement but I miss the boat a lot. Fortunately the new owner Brian McGuigan works the same patch so I get the chance for a day out when I want steering. I leave the coal to him though:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

I am glad to hear that you can still keep yuir hand in George, but only on nice warm, days I hope. We used to live in Buxton so the ice cold sideways rain drilling into your face in August was not too big a shock, but the weather can be quite cruel up there.

As a matter of interest, I know that Mcguigan is a fairly uncommon name (at least round here) I don't suppose Brian is related to Stuart McGuigan who owns a trad tug on the Oxford by any chance.

I am glad to hear that you can still keep yuir hand in George, but only on nice warm, days I hope. We used to live in Buxton so the ice cold sideways rain drilling into your face in August was not too big a shock, but the weather can be quite cruel up there.

As a matter of interest, I know that Mcguigan is a fairly uncommon name (at least round here) I don't suppose Brian is related to Stuart McGuigan who owns a trad tug on the Oxford by any chance.

Hi David, no sorry I don't know Stuart on the Oxford, so I guess we're not related (unless it's somewhere deep in the past!). Though I wouldn't mind being related to Brian & Lisa McGuigan :lol: the makers of fine Australian wine, give it a try if you see a bottle, it's good stuff! :lol:

To bring things a little back on topic our current price for red diesel is 59p/l plus your self declared % propulsion.

See you on the cut, Brian

• 4 weeks later...
Understand your caution Alan.

I am now thinking, even if I want refuel at Fenny they may now not want my business.

Fenny is a good looking marine though.

Martyn

I wonder where the fuel boat is on the Oxford.

'Gosty Hill' Iain and Alison Tel 07913 761 871 don't know whereabouts at the moment

'Dusty' Mark left Banbury heading south last night

We saw Gosty Hill travelling North on the Oxford coming out of the bottom lock at Hillmorton on Thursday.

We had no money at the time otherwise I would certainly have taken the opportunity.

We called at Napton Boats on the way through and moored up in pouring rain, entered office, lady hanging up the phone whilst other line ringing, i asked how much for diesel? and she said .89p. I asked what for?, and was told everything!, she then added that "anyway I have no one to serve you". We moved on.

Fenny Compton still .70p domestic. Thats if you can get a civil tongue and they haven't closed early.

'Gosty Hill' Iain and Alison Tel 07913 761 871 don't know whereabouts at the moment

'Dusty' Mark left Banbury heading south last night

Saw Gosty Hill twice last week on the Oxford, Diesel 61p a litre.

Fenny Compton still .70p domestic. Thats if you can get a civil tongue and they haven't closed early.

And the owners are still clinging to that price at Cow Roast too. :lol: (Still cheap compared to Whilton though!).

On the southern GU, Peter Hawker, (Bletchley & Argus) was as 63 ppl when we passed, but anybody passing Denham will get a much better price of 55 ppl from the new seller just below Denham Deep.

QUOTE (Hyperion 53 @ Apr 18 2009, 11:30 AM) post_snapback.gifDiesel 48.9 ppl at Norbury Wharf Limited

Ditto - That matches the 76p I paid for a 60/40 split at Norbury on April 15, and two days earlier I had paid 83p for a 60/40 split at Nantwich Canal Centre - both make Stone Boat Builders at £1.15 for the same split, a week or so before, look positively greedy! And please don't tell me they are a small trader trying to scrape a living!

Edited by homer2911

<br><br>I paid £1.03 for a 60/40 split on April 15, but astonishingly, , two days earlier, I paid 83p for a 60/40 split at Nantwich Canal Centre - both make Stone Boat Builders at £1.15 a week or so before look positively greedy!<br>

Ditto - That matches the 76p I paid for a 60/40 split at Norbury on April 15, and two days earlier I had paid 83p for a 60/40 split at Nantwich Canal Centre - both make Stone Boat Builders at £1.15 for the same split, a week or so before, look positively greedy! And please don't tell me they are a small trader trying to scrape a living!

Have a look at http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/ but remember the information is only as good as we, the boaters send to the site.

Was talking to a farmer yesterday about price of red on the canals he informed me he was having a delivery on Friday at 37 ppl + 5% Vat he gave me the phone number of the supplier they told me they would be happy to deliver to my boat at the same price provided I also took delivery on Monday so looks like I will stay here for a few more days.

Working backwards, that equates to a pump price of 52ppl (79.6ppl on a 60/40 split) and 55ppl (82.6ppl on a 60/40 split). (all inc VAT)

Both very good prices comparatively.

Chris

Yes its well worth our journey to West Stockwith to fill up.