Good Butchers

tripitaka

Featured Posts

Some time ago we got involved in a discussion about where to get proper mutton, rabbits etc.etc.etc. All you lucky boaters on the Shroppie have two choise!! The butcher in Gnossal is pretty good but the one in Brewwod, MAIDENS, is out of this world. All local stuff, all high quality and all at reasonable prices. We bought two rabbits, NETT weight, 4.2lbs for £3.50 each.

This one - Johns in Waltham Abbey, is a must for visitors to the River Lee Johns award winning sausages . Tie up above Waltham Town Lock and it's a five minute bike ride or a fifteen minute walk.

As well as wonderful sausages, he does the best bacon and also ready prepared barbecue food, forget the mediocre supermarket barbecue fodder, this is superb - burgers and kebabs, which are marinaded in home made marinades. We usually load up there and as soon as we hit the Stort, further upstream, its time to spark the barbie up.

Edited by Lady Muck

The butchers at Braunston is very good and, on the notice board, outside the Post Office, Graham & Lynne advertise their rare breed lamb (well worth it, if you've got a freezer). They farm, canalside, between Wolfhampcote and Flecknoe.

Edited by carlt

Last thursday of the month is Rugby farmer's market and the pig stall does as good a black pudding as I've tasted, anywhere (the only free range black pudding I've found). The rest of his meat is just as good (Tamworth pigs).

The Lamb stall next door also does moroccan sausages that taste like genuine merguez.

Last thursday of the month is Rugby farmer's market and the pig stall does as good a black pudding as I've tasted, anywhere (the only free range black pudding I've found). The rest of his meat is just as good (Tamworth pigs).

The Lamb stall next door also does moroccan sausages that taste like genuine merguez.

But the best black pud I've ever expreinced was from the Godesses's own country... Wigan! :lol:

Stephen Morris in Loughborough does lovely organic sausages. The shop is about 10 minutes walk from Loughborough basin (as is most of the town centre!). Well worth a visit if you're doing the Soar / GU Leicester section.

The butcher in Barrow does nicer Pork chops, though :lol:

Edited for speeling.

Edited by sociable_hermit

Stephen Morris in Loughborough does lovely organic sausages. The shop is about 10 minutes walk from Loughborough basin (as is most of the town centre!). Well worth a visit if you're doing the Soar / GU Leicester section.

The butcher in Barrow does nicer Pork chops, though :lol:

Edited for speeling.

You and I may need to err... meet, around the banter

You and I may need to err... meet, around the banter

No worries.

I have no intention of being coherent for that, mind. The Swan in the Rushes is, by all accounts, a boozer's boozer. And have you seen Marc Harris' avatar? And Ally will be there and so will Fuzzy and Freedom and yeah.... looking forward to it. Plus I am going boating for a week starting the next day, and I can't handle a boat sober.

No worries.

I have no intention of being coherent for that, mind. The Swan in the Rushes is, by all accounts, a boozer's boozer. And have you seen Marc Harris' avatar? And Ally will be there and so will Fuzzy and Freedom and yeah.... looking forward to it. Plus I am going boating for a week starting the next day, and I can't handle a boat sober.

If only we had the fridge boat

Yeah. Mine will be in Derbyshire, so I know how you feel. I'm crashing on Freedom's boat, hopefully. Got to collect my crew the next morning and then we're off! I suspect I will be wrecked at the height of physical fitness, as always.

Freedom - I need a map to/from the side hatch, just in case...

If anyone is about on the water, ours is Nb Amanda, and we'll be bumbling up the T&M starting Sunday 1st March. Give us a wave. Or a beer.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

Some time ago we got involved in a discussion about where to get proper mutton, rabbits etc.etc.etc. All you lucky boaters on the Shroppie have two choise!! The butcher in Gnossal is pretty good but the one in Brewwod, MAIDENS, is out of this world. All local stuff, all high quality and all at reasonable prices. We bought two rabbits, NETT weight, 4.2lbs for £3.50 each.

There's a cracking butcher at Lymm

There is an excellent farmers market in Nantwich but I can't remember when it is on

Last saturday of the month.

There are also a couple of excellent butchers in Nantwich. Clewlows is one, but the smaller one opposite the Aga shop are more helpful and friendly.

There is also an excellent fishmonger in the town centre.

Edited by dor

I can heartily second this recommendation - excellent quality meat. I enjoyed the privilege of trading with Stephen Morris when buying meat for the Great Central Railway's restaurant-car services. Along with Stephen Morris, the Great Central Railway, Bell Foundry Museum and Andrew Hill's (George Hill Wine Merchants) excellent wines and spirits make this otherwise dull industrial town well worth visiting . . .

It's just as well ive decided to take four months out to go up to Yorkshire on the boat, I'm gonna need it if I am to visit all of these establishments!

You'll love it - but thy'll have t' practice thi accent though

Stop of in Lincoln on the way up the Trent (a magnificent river)

Visit York but watch out for the Ouse, especially getting back into Selby Lock --- its - err! - entertaining!!?

Visit The Armouries in Leeds - nice basin right outside.

The Chesterfield is very nice - maybe only to Retford.

Aire and Calder - but you must remember to buy a stick.

There is a brilliant butchers in Alrewas

Alex

Don't forget Colin Ward on Moor Lane in Loughborough. Not easy to find so use Google. If asked nicely Colin will tell you the name of the beast you are about to eat!! We shop there for all our meat and the craic in the shop is worth the queue.

Other good butchers are to be found in Penkridge, Alrewas, Berkhampstead.

The Chesterfield is very nice - maybe only to Retford.

Aire and Calder - but you must remember to buy a stick.

Alex

All of the Chesterfield is nice, if you can manage to ignore Worksop.

And why would you need a stick on the Aire and Calder? The locals are very nice, despite appearances. You'll need something of the sort on the Calder & Hebble, though I've never bought one in the years I've been here. As for butchers, well the beer round here is so good that I live on that.

Mac