Dudley Tunnel.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

Over the last 18 months I have tried to get some info on the cruising restrictions applied to the Dudley tunnel.

Despite several requests BW have failed to supply a survey under the FoI act, also they state the canal trust are responsible for the safety and operation of the tunnel.

The canal trust are not too helpful with their attitude to safety plus the restrictive test gauge.

Am I just paranoid or is there some sort of collusion between various parties to make access difficult?

Hi

I'm by no means an expert on Dudley tunnel, tho' I've navigated it several times since the early 60s. I don't think anyone is being needlessly obstructive - the headroom is extremely low in places and the confined nature would render a powered passage unsafe. Last w/end I took Resolute thro' Gosty Hill tunnel, not far away. It's not dissimilar to Dudley with regard to headroom (variable) and width. The 500 yds took around 20 mins at a snail's pace...I would hate to do the 3172 yards of Dudley under my own power, assuming that I could clear the height gauges, which is doubtful. The Trust have decades of operating experience and are right, IMHO, to offer only towed passage to qualifying boats.

Cheers

Dave

When i moored outside the tunnel, the trust members were helpful and happy for us to have a go, although we would not have got through the gauge without dismantling the cratch and stands and probably then we would have had to take on ballast as well.

In the end we went on the tunnel trip and, because of the quiet it was very atmospheric.

I am not sure if diesel is allowed in there anyway (i don't think it is) so it would be a legging job. I had a go at legging the tunnel boat and would not like to do nearly 2 miles.

oh on not at all at all. no fun.

so we went around - does anyone know the history and why it was so important to drive a 2 mile tunnel under hill when i remember it was not that far to go around the long way?

The Horseboating Society have recently legged GWR No. 15 474932973_6949ce5cd9_m.jpg through Dudley and returned to the BCLM the next day by going horse drawn through Netherton Tunnel. The first time that's been done since when?

Although Sue can be very persuasive, :lol: AFAIK no unreasonable restrictioins were put in the way, she just emailed the DCT and asked. They had to go fairly early to clear the tunnel before the trip boats began operating. The HBS has done risk assessments for tunnel legging and persevered in the face of BW resistance in order to keep this activity alive and possible.

Mind you, I suppose I do miss the days when you could just turn up and do it. (and get stuck, as we did in the seventies. :lol: Had to destroy a hatch lid to get free, luckily it was made of wood not steel...)

Rick

Tuesday Night Club have a good write up on it....

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. The canal trust bloke did say I could leg through with their supervision, not my thing really.

I believe there was a plan (years ago) to lower the water level from Parkhead to the museum, nothing came of it though.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. The canal trust bloke did say I could leg through with their supervision, not my thing really.

I believe there was a plan (years ago) to lower the water level from Parkhead to the museum, nothing came of it though.

Surely it isn't that simple. If you lowered the water at Parkhead it would lower all the way to Anglesea basin!

Richard

That's right isn't it? No locks between Park head and oh - ever so far away.

The section where mining subsidence was worst, the Gaol, has been relined in concrete to match the profile of the rest of the tunnel. That's still a pretty low profile though, if you can't pass the height gauge, you will get stuck.

Surely it isn't that simple. If you lowered the water at Parkhead it would lower all the way to Anglesea basin!

Richard

That's right isn't it? No locks between Park head and oh - ever so far away.

In a way yes and no, sorry to be so clear lol.

The proposal was to use the narrows before the museum as a stop lock and lower the level between there and top of Park Head by about 6 inches to increase headroom through the tunnel but the amount of boats it would have allowed through as opposed to the cost of the work made it unfeasable.

No way our boat will go under the gauge unless it sunk! :lol:

Isn't that what the TNC did with Earnest? A load of paviours and a few barrels of water to increase the air draft

Yes, here we go: Tuesday Night Club on tour 2000

Perhaps Neil Arlidge will drop in and tell us about it.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Interesting link, the reference to the 3 inch difference in the gauges confirms certain suspicions I had.

Simple question, I suppose, is Dudley tighter/lower than Gosty Hill?

Another question, what is the state of Titford Pools? (not been there since the 90's).

Interesting link, the reference to the 3 inch difference in the gauges confirms certain suspicions I had.

I've been through Gosty Hill several times in regular boats. The gauge at the Tipton portal is set much lower than that.

One of the boats I've been through Gosty Hill with I also attempted Froghall tunnel in before the recent lowering of the pound and failed miserably. Another boat I've been on was able to get through Froghall before the alterations though it was touch and go, but is still several inches too high for the Tipton Portal Gauge.

130.jpg

We are hatching plans to return with ballast. :lol:

Another question, what is the state of Titford Pools? (not been there since the 90's).

I know we can definitely get through Gosty Hill easily, we can get through Froghall fairly easily (it was just possible before they lowered the water level), and we are way too big for the gauge at the end of Dudley tunnel.

Our boat fits through Gosty Hill and the portal signs gives an air draught of 1.98 metres (same as Dudley I believe).

The bit that is annoying is that if you ask "The Trust" employees "Is the profile gauge an accurate profile of the tunnels tightest point", they seem a bit iffy about it, also the alleged 3 inch error in the old gauges raises further suspicion about the accuracy of the new gauge.

BW have not, so far, supplied me with a profile survey and insist "The Trust" is responsible for tunnel safety.

This is relevant to my interests ....

What are the restrictions on Dudley Tunnel? we're planning a weekend bum round the tunnels of Brum early next year, but using 10-12 foot inflatables.

-------------------------------------------

Edited to say, what's this tosh? You can't use a small unpowered boat, but then you can't use power in your boat??? this I do not understand. A bit academic really as my inflatable will be registered as powered with BW when i drag her out of her locker next spring

You Must

Make sure your craft passes the clearance gauge.

Switch off your engine

Switch on your headlight

Make sure everybody stays inside the boat

Extinguish all naked flames except pilot lights

Everybody must wear a life jacket

You Must Not

Smoke

Use cooking appliances

Use small unpowered craft

Use your engine under any circumstances

Edited by fuzzyduck

Edited to say, what's this tosh? You can't use a small unpowered boat, but then you can't use power in your boat??? this I do not understand. A bit academic really as my inflatable will be registered as powered with BW when i drag her out of her locker next spring

You Must

Make sure your craft passes the clearance gauge.

Switch off your engine

Switch on your headlight

Make sure everybody stays inside the boat

Extinguish all naked flames except pilot lights

Everybody must wear a life jacket

You Must Not

Smoke

Use cooking appliances

Use small unpowered craft

Use your engine under any circumstances

BW speak perhaps. i.e. vague and inaccurate.

I believe you will find that by 'Small unpowered craft' they mean canoes and rowed boats. And in the case of Dudley tunnel, engines are not to be used. Boats must be electric powered, or towed by an electric powered boat. Contact Dudley Tunnel Trust (?) for details of passage. That's not gospel, but I'm sure greater knowledge will be along soon.

You have two choices really as your boat will obviously fit the tunnel. :lol:

My original reason for stirring up BW etc, was that I see the tunnel as a public asset and felt I should be able to navigate the two basins, I also felt the gauge had been fitted at the wrong portal.

The repositioning of the gauge changes the situation as I may now be able to visit the basins.

Edit: Is what appears to be a lock gate at the museum a gate or just a barrier?

Edited by OptedOut

A few years ago as part of the Birmingham challenge we took little woolwich Auriga throught the tunnel from Parkhead to Dudley. We arranged a tow with the tunnel trust - it was a great trip very eerie going through silently. Auriga went through easily with the cratch down and the mast and stands taken down. Unfortunately we have no pictures.

I was there when the TNC took Earnest through the tunnel.

I must of been 15 then so was with friends on their boat. I saw this bloke stick some sort of pond liner in his gas locker and then used the water point to fill it up so I walked over for a closer look. I rthink they did the same pond liner thing for the actual cratch too aswell as filling up the sinks, shower/bath and even bilges with water to bring the boat down in the water.

I am quire sure I remember it took them a few "tests" on the guage before they were finally given the go ahead. Interesting stuff.

Edit: Is what appears to be a lock gate at the museum a gate or just a barrier?

I believe it's a gate:

2315153570_bcfd0aa817.jpg

Someone more knowledgeable than I may be able to give it's exact purpose.

My memory (from over 2 years ago) is that it is locked closed across the portal, other than when the trip boats are operating.

Something similar at the other end, just not as close to....

5586197.jpg

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

I believe it's a gate:

2315153570_bcfd0aa817.jpg

Someone more knowledgeable than I may be able to give it's exact purpose.

My memory (from over 2 years ago) is that it is locked closed across the portal, other than when the trip boats are operating.

Something similar at the other end, just not as close to....

5586197.jpg

Alan

I read somewhere that the purpose of the gates was this: boat or boats were moved into the tunnel, at one end or the other , the gate was closed and water from a large pump, at one end, was pumped in or pumped out from the tunnel, creating a current which carried the boats through in the relevant direction. The size of the pump obviously regulated the speed of the boat(s) which I don't expect was that great. It would of course , only be necessary to close one gate at any one time.

I have no idea when this method of propulsion was dispensed with.

HTH

Bill

I read somewhere that the purpose of the gates was this: boat or boats were moved into the tunnel, at one end or the other , the gate was closed and water from a large pump, at one end, was pumped in or pumped out from the tunnel, creating a current which carried the boats through in the relevant direction. The size of the pump obviously regulated the speed of the boat(s) which I don't expect was that great. It would of course , only be necessary to close one gate at any one time.

I have no idea when this method of propulsion was dispensed with.

HTH

Bill

I think you have confused this tunnel with the Lapal tunnel on the Dudley No 2 canal. That had a system installed by Thomas Brewin that cut transit times from 4 to 2 hours. See link Here

Richard

I think you have confused this tunnel with the Lapal tunnel on the Dudley No 2 canal. That had a system installed by Thomas Brewin that cut transit times from 4 to 2 hours. See link Here

Richard

I stand corrected then. Obviously very confused at this time of the year, sorry. It did sound like a good reason for having gates there though. So, just what purpose did they serve, assuming they are original( 18th/19th Century) installations ?

Bill

I saw this bloke stick some sort of pond liner in his gas locker and then used the water point to fill it up so I walked over for a closer look. I rthink they did the same pond liner thing for the actual cratch too aswell as filling up the sinks, shower/bath and even bilges with water to bring the boat down in the water.

They flooded the front cockpit

Dud41.jpg

They also had some brick/block paving ballast inside the cabin....

Dud40.jpg

And when they got to Parkhead they cleared the gauge by miles. I suspect our boat would have clearance at this portal without additional ballast. Very little anyway. Am determined to give it a go as Dudley Tunnel is pretty much the last bit of the BCN I have left to navigate.