Dudley Tunnel.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

Reading the previous page of their log I found their other preparations.

a) turning gas locker at bow into water locker (no gas!)

b] removing front doors, stopping off bottom half of door hole with tongue and groove planking, installing front cockpit swimming pool facility, filling with water, installing legging boards cover (more T&G)

c) redistributing pavoirs from front cockpit.

d) installing plastic liner in shower/hip bath (plug leaks!) and filling.

e) positioning four large plastic dustbins strategically to balance ballasting and filling them with water.

f) filling toilet tank with water

g) filling engine bilges with water (to safe level)

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I think you have confused this tunnel with the Lapal tunnel on the Dudley No 2 canal. That had a system installed by Thomas Brewin that cut transit times from 4 to 2 hours. See link Here

Richard

The Worsley mine canals also used water flow to help boats. The system was used for draining the mines and had several single gates within the mines. Empty boats entered with the gates open and the water depth thus reduced and head room at a maximum to allow empty boats to pass. After they had gone through a gate, it was closed and this slowly increased water depth so that the boats could be fully loaded. With the water level high and headroom at a minimum, the gates were then opened to allow the loaded boats to leave the mine. The flow of water out of the mine made moving the loaded boats easier which accounts for the story of one man moving a hundred boats. The mine boats were not as small as the surviving mine boats, which were just built for maintenance. At one time there were six different sizes of mine boat depending on how far into the mine they would work.

As I moor my boat alongside the tunnel entrance, the gauge is VERY low much lower than 95% of boats !

You cannot run your engine in the tunnel, all passages must be pre-booked and you are TOWED through the tunnel by an electric powered tug.

Officially, your not allowed to artificially ballast your boat to pass under the gauge either !

The problem arises as you have to be towed through so there must be a safe margin to avoid damaging boats. We cleared Froghall Tunnel with little more than an inch or so to spare, but we walked the boat carefully through the low bit. To give the Tunnel Trust their due it would be nigh impossible to do this in a tug and tow situation.

That said, it does rather blow their credibility if the gauges really are set at different heights.

Come on you canal anoraks!

Somebody must know why there are gates at either end, surely!

Alan

Posh stop planks perhaps, so they can drain down a length without having to empty nearly 2 miles of tunnel?

Perhaps this would shed some light on it?

The Canals of the West Midlands, Hadfield, Charles (1969).. David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-4660-1.

I read somewhere that the purpose of the gates was this: boat or boats were moved into the tunnel, at one end or the other , the gate was closed and water from a large pump, at one end, was pumped in or pumped out from the tunnel, creating a current which carried the boats through in the relevant direction. The size of the pump obviously regulated the speed of the boat(s) which I don't expect was that great. It would of course , only be necessary to close one gate at any one time.

I have no idea when this method of propulsion was dispensed with.

HTH

Bill

Don't be discouraged: this system was used here too

Come on you canal anoraks!

Somebody must know why there are gates at either end, surely!

Alan

yes

Posh stop planks perhaps, so they can drain down a length without having to empty nearly 2 miles of tunnel?

Perhaps this would shed some light on it?

The Canals of the West Midlands, Hadfield, Charles (1969).. David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-4660-1.

but the gates face INTO the tunnel, so you can drain the canal either side rather than the tunnel

As far as I'm aware, they were used to allow a flow of water through the tunnel by pumping round them, although at the park head end it would have been easier to lift a paddle at the top lock...

whereas at the Tipton end you need to drain half the BCN :lol:

Edited by magpie patrick

I can remember spending some time in this area with the Dudley Caving Club when the caverns were open on the hillside, we also looked at the Wrens Nest tunnel.

There was a concrete dam in the Wrens Nest portal with a valve to drain the tunnel, if this valve was shut the water filled the tunnel to at least roof level (estimate dam was 2 feet higher).

Anyway, I digress, the point being that if there was any sigificant flow from the mines the pound formed between the gates (if shut) would need a drain paddle/valve somewhere?

Edited by OptedOut

but the gates face INTO the tunnel, so you can drain the canal either side rather than the tunnel

That is was I said....

If they wanted to drain the top pound at Parkhead, with out the gate they would need to dewater the tunnel.

Why would the gates still survive and appear well maintained if they were to do with some ancient boat assisting process?

That is was I said....

If they wanted to drain the top pound at Parkhead, with out the gate they would need to dewater the tunnel.

Why would the gates still survive and appear well maintained if they were to do with some ancient boat assisting process?

I don't know but I suspect that now they are used to close and padlock the tunnel when there are no staff on duty.

Richard

From what I remember of my time with DCT, the gates had 2 every day uses.

1. To stop rubbish being drawn into the tunnel.Going down the weedhatch in the dark is no fun, and a boat can easily become wedged by a piece of floating timber in the tighter sections.

2. As you have correctly guessed, to stop boats getting in "out of hours".

Boaters have gotten stuck in "The Gaol" with the potential for personal injury, damage to the boat and tunnel, as well as creating chaos for the trip boats.

I dont think there is any conspiracy by BW or DCT to keep people out, its just that most boats dont fit.

Opted Out I truly do not believe that the tunnel trust are in the buisness of denying access to the tunnel complex, they are up against increasing amounts of health and safety regulations and are doing their very best to preserve this historic site and provide public access to the tunnels. Sure I would love to have a mooch round in there with my mate and his canadian canoe but it isnt 1970 any more and DCT are responsible for my safety in the tunnels.I can recommend their trips if you happen to be at the museum. Michele is right about the stop gates and I for one are in favour of keeping rubbish out of tunnels. Recently a mate and I "found " a 45 gallon metal drum in Gosty hill tunnel.Its in my hold while I decide what to make it into.I have never been more glad I left my husband at home as BW would have had to empty the swear box in the tunnel with a shovel !!! .What a cracking venue for a domestic though.

Opted Out I truly do not believe that the tunnel trust are in the buisness of denying access to the tunnel complex,

Mrs Madcat, I have never suggested this scenario, I merely state the facts, DCT administer the assett to the best of their ability within the conditions HSE & trust objectives etc specify, this has a negative impact on the more adventurous explorer.

As others have said, imagine the whole waterway system managed by a trust.

BTW, I will avail myself of the tourist trip through the tunnel as I am sure it is the only way I can put my mind at rest as to the accuracy of the gauges.

Edited by OptedOut

Opted Out, like you I regret the limits placed on the adventurous by modern life in fact it does my head in big style.You will find that I tend to be a bit protective about my local area ,my territory so to speak as cats have territory.I would never have considered even thinking about the height of the gauges and if they could be different heights. let us all know if you find out. I never thought of taking my boat in there ,empty big northwich no chance. Gliding through in an electric boat is a dream, Dave the Lister HA2 bellowing unsilenced in my ear and filling a confined space with fumes a nightmare.Great fun in Netherton though.Another pleasure of the tunnel trip is that somebody else steers and you get to have a good look at stuff.

Ahh, common ground, both Lister HA2 powered, both rebellious by nature,lol. (I sheepishly admit to having a silencer).

I think the powers that be should set aside an overnight period when the wind is from the SW, during this time the more adventurous should be allowed to motor throught the tunnel, or as far as they will fit before reversing out.

The air quality can't be any worse than Harecastle on a southbound multi-boat run!

Simple question, I suppose, is Dudley tighter/lower than Gosty Hill?

Just realised I'd got these pictures on my website, all taken at different points in Gosty Hill Tunnel (the boat would have been several inches too high for Dudley Tunnel btw)

19880007r.jpg

19880008r.jpg

19880009r.jpg

19880010r.jpg

After that I stopped taking pictures because our fuel filter blocked so the engine stopped and I had to pole the boat the rest of the way.

:lol:

Fascinating pictures of Gosty Hill, Allan.

I've yet to do it, but have always been fascinated by that canal, as my first boat had been a tube carrier at the Stewarts & Lloyds works just after the tunnel.

My understanding is that the tunnel is very low at either end, but much more cavernous in between, and your pictures appear to confirm that.

Do you know the background to that strange change of profile. It seems to be by design, rather than accident, but I can't immediately think of any explanation that fits.

I do wonder how we would fare. Our shell is a very tall one, and definitely under ballasted, even with a full water tank. :lol:

Alan

:My understanding is that the tunnel is very low at either end, but much more cavernous in between, and your pictures appear to confirm that.

Do you know the background to that strange change of profile. It seems to be by design, rather than accident, but I can't immediately think of any explanation that fits.

I do wonder how we would fare. Our shell is a very tall one, and definitely under ballasted, even with a full water tank. :lol:

Alan

The changes in headroom are sudden. not gradual, which suggests design rather than accident. It's worth trying, these pictures were taken from Thistle which was a lot higher than Keeping Up (especially at the front) and as you can see there was plenty of clearance.

Ours fits Gosty OK. I heard somewhere that Gosty was all small bore, started to fail and was repaired to a larger bore at the failed area?

IIRC I heard the same. I seem to remember you can tell the brickwork is newer in the high bit.

Last visit we legged Union Canal Carriers 'Great Britain' through for the hell of it..... :lol:

Ours fits Gosty OK. I heard somewhere that Gosty was all small bore, started to fail and was repaired to a larger bore at the failed area?

IIRC I heard the same. I seem to remember you can tell the brickwork is newer in the high bit.

Last visit we legged Union Canal Carriers 'Great Britain' through for the hell of it..... :lol: