Dudley Tunnel.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

As for depth, which someone else mentioned, we whacked something (metallic) on the bottom a couple of times, we reconed Earnest was nearly level at around 2ft 9ins draught at the time.

I'm interested in the depth issue, as, if I wanted to take Victoria through there (even if I could fit the gauges unloaded) I draw a lot more than 3 foot.

Maybe another part that I'm unable to go :-(

Mike

Too much public money gone into it, I feel.

There has been a lot tiz true. Sorry if that post seemed a bit snappy, but I do feel that the DCT are one of the best run on the canal and many others could learn a lot from them. I guess I can see your point but I don't think there is really any better alternative.

There has been a lot tiz true. Sorry if that post seemed a bit snappy, but I do feel that the DCT are one of the best run on the canal and many others could learn a lot from them. I guess I can see your point but I don't think there is really any better alternative.

Possibly DCT are well run but the issue has moved a long way from the objective of opening the tunnel for navigation, it now seems to encompass DCT & BW H&E plus business strategy.

My boat is insured for such trips plus I also have BCA underground insurance, I see no problem with out of hours access to suitably equiped boaters.

I also have BCA underground insurance, I see no problem with out of hours access to suitably equiped boaters.

What have the British Cheerleaders Association got todo with it?

Seriously though, I doubt your BCA insurance would cover you, steering a boat through a man made tunnel.

It's going back many years but my insurers made it quite clear that I wasn't covered, when involved in surveying abandoned mines.

Seriously though, I doubt your BCA insurance would cover you, steering a boat through a man made tunnel.

I believe the BCA insurance indemnifies land owners and possibly mineral leesees, you have to be part of a bona fide caving or mine exploration group.

A possible foil to the H & E brigade?

I believe the BCA insurance indemnifies land owners and possibly mineral leesees, you have to be part of a bona fide caving or mine exploration group.

A possible foil to the H & E brigade?

How I remember reading Health and Efficiency as a lad :lol:

Tim

• 1 year later...

Nice little report and video from the Guardian here

"Britain's best views: Dudley canal tunnels. Who says a great view means gazing into the distance? Beneath the Black Country lies an extraordinary subterranean labyrinth created during the Industrial Revolution"

Whilst checking the various DCT restrictions on navigating the tunnel, gas testing, and other safety concerns were a high priority.

Further enquiries revealed that safety concerns had led to the erection of an "Anti Sniper" fence and screen around the open basins!

IMG_2511.jpg

Whilst checking the various DCT restrictions on navigating the tunnel, gas testing, and other safety concerns were a high priority.

Further enquiries revealed that safety concerns had led to the erection of an "Anti Sniper" fence and screen around the open basins!

Any idea why????

Any idea why????

Why do people throw darts at a board.

Why roll balls towards skittles.

Why throw pebbles into the Sea.

What's the use of a sling-shot.

The origins are in hunting and protection for survival, and a test of one's skills in hitting a target. When as a youth one expands one's territory beyond the front gate one meets with the locals. They may be hostile, they may be friendly. Once established then demarcation lines are drawn. In the past this was simple knowledge of your area, latterly grafitti appeared used in the same way a Fox will scent his boundaries. At Dudley, 'foreigners' come by boat. The oiks are showing their territorial command. The apparent evidence of attacking a metal fence with grinders for access to attack, may be indicative of a population frustrated with no work, no incentives, no future, and an excess of regulative measures - yet see others doing what they perceive as that which they cannot do (and peer pressure also). It comes down to a battle between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. The solutions, are in education and direct involvement. Less "KEEP OUT" and more 'Come and help - come and see'.

Why do people spit from bridges onto boats beneath? To see if they can hit it - can you spit down the funnel?

Edited by Derek R.

Well put Derek R. We still retain 'hard wired' tribal skills that made us the dominant species on this planet, this reflects in the behavior of young men in our largely undisciplined modern society.

In less 'enlightened' times these young men would have been absorbed by industry or laid down their lives for country, empire etc, now they are (mostly) surplus to requirements and tend to expend their energy in most annoying ways.

Edited by OptedOut

From the Guardian Web site - a video about the Dudley Tunnes/Caverns

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2011/feb/03/britain-view-dudley-canal-video

Tim

From the Guardian Web site - a video about the Dudley Tunnel/Caverns

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2011/feb/03/britain-view-dudley-canal-video

Tim

Well put Derek R. We still retain 'hard wired' tribal skills that made us the dominant species on this planet, this reflects in the behavior of young men in our largely undisciplined modern society.

In less 'enlightened' times these young men would have been absorbed by industry or laid down their lives for country, empire etc, now they are (mostly) surplus to requirements and tend to expend their energy in most annoying ways.

Dudley has been tribal for a very long time gaining its name from Dodo's Lie where the trible chief had his lair. When a small boy says Dudlie in response to a query about his address don't reprimand him he is probably speaking better Anglo Saxon than we do.

Edited by Max Sinclair