Decorating your boat for Xmas...

twocvbloke

Featured Posts

I was returning from Preston by train yesterday, and of course I had to look out the window towards Reedley marina as we passed, and I noticed a few of the boats had lights all along the edges or down the middle of their roofs, which made them look rather nice... :lol:

So, what have you liveaboard lot done in this festive period? :lol:

I have just about managed to squash our 12 inch pre-decorated christmas tree into an appropiate corner. There's going to be very little room for Hubs to put my pressies let alone trying to get Father Christmas down the flu of the Old Dutch. I think I am going to have to leave the door open again this year - he's bound to have lots of goodies for me!!!!

We have a 3 foot tree up the corner, and tinsel around every curtain, mask, shelf and it looks very much like santa's grotto, but the kids love it!!

We have a tinsel ball thing hanging from the ceiling too. Nothing outside though, our solar lights from last year have broken.

We have 'put up' all our decorations at home, there is a list below:

A 12" (30cms) tree (includes pot) with fibre optic lighting, battery powered and if I had my way that would not be 'put up'.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Swmbo puts up some shiny stuff, I get covered in sap, dragging a tree out of its natural environment, swmbo puts some more shiny stuff on the tree, two year old monster pulls the tree over and we start again.

When am I allowed to open the Quality Street?

We are not liveaboards, but Mrs. Athy and I take the boat out each Christmas morning, just in time to moor at the Globe Inn for lunchtime Elgood's. Boat usually sports tinsel around the tiller and along the handrails/ round the engine chimney on such occasions. Daft I suppose, but passing vehicles do hoot and their drivers do wave, albeit varying numbers of fingers, so we must add our bit to the jollity of Yuletide in Fenland.

Last year we met another narrowboat coming the other way, just under Upwell Church Bridge. When we had both finished reversing, I called cheerily to him "So there are two loonies around here?". He did not reply, and his facial expression was not one of goodwill. I hope he goes somewhere else this year.

We are not liveaboards, but Mrs. Athy and I take the boat out each Christmas morning, just in time to moor at the Globe Inn for lunchtime Elgood's. Boat usually sports tinsel around the tiller and along the handrails/ round the engine chimney on such occasions. Daft I suppose, but passing vehicles do hoot and their drivers do wave, albeit varying numbers of fingers, so we must add our bit to the jollity of Yuletide in Fenland.

Last year we met another narrowboat coming the other way, just under Upwell Church Bridge. When we had both finished reversing, I called cheerily to him "So there are two loonies around here?". He did not reply, and his facial expression was not one of goodwill. I hope he goes somewhere else this year.

Albeit varying numbers of fingers ,thats normal for the folk of fens something to do with long dark nights and nothing to do :lol:

Well ive been rather busy trapping mink,dying their fur a festive colour of red and hand stitching them into a wonderful pair of slippers.

When I can stop laughing - well said........we have ..Ok where to start - we have two ceramic sheep (just waiting for a shepherd and a virgin - ( more likley to find a shepherd around our wharf), 3 strings of christmas lights across the fence, a completely lit up fir tree (thats fir as in tree not fur as in mink) two lanterns with candles, one 8 inch high chrismtas tree and santa on a train in the window and the gnomes have tinsel - ok so we are common (and economic migrants as well) so what can i say :lol:

We're not on the boat, but the lights we used on the boat for the national have gone up outside the house on the tree.

- Looks a bit more plastic and 'LED' then i usally does. But sadly 60% of the string we had the last few years has now packed in so its be religated to to the bin.

Daniel

Ooh that might be worth a trip to Woolies while it's still around - they had Christmassy stuff at half price a couple of weeks ago. I got some white outdoor lights that are proudly twinkling on the cratch cover (try saying that to non boaters and see their reaction!).

I've even taken to getting up early to put them back on for the early birds going to work!

Sx

Ooh that might be worth a trip to Woolies while it's still around - they had Christmassy stuff at half price a couple of weeks ago. I got some white outdoor lights that are proudly twinkling on the cratch cover (try saying that to non boaters and see their reaction!).

I've even taken to getting up early to put them back on for the early birds going to work!

Sx

You will be lucky. Our local Woolies had a closing down sale. Went in it looked like the place had been ransacked. Nothing of any value remaining.

Hi all

Mawkish sentimentality, I know, but later today I'll put a small tree on the tug deck, modestly decorated and wired to and behind the 18" wooden stand that carries the headlamp. I first did this a couple of years ago with the baot on the Waterfront moorings above Delph Locks. This area is fequented by a mix of loxcal office workers, revellers and shoppers at nearby Merry Hill (Hell) Centre. They had rresolutely ignored the boat (couldn't resist the pun) until I added the tree...subsequently, itattracted rather more attention. I may even add a picture later.

Cheers

Dave

Here's a pic of our cheery festive efforts! My husband is out of shot - apparently busy making my christmas present which I am told will have a mink theme....

xmasdecs.jpg

On the subject of festive cheer (but slightly off topic) - mine is being stretched to the limit this year with all the charity bag packers at the end of supermarket tills! Just got back from our local store and yet again every single till is covered by an obscure charity trying to raise money. I am sure these may be worthy causes, but I do not like being made to feel it is obligatory to contribute to every single one! :lol: Sorry - grumpy rant over!