fishing near my boat

Featured Posts

I'm pleased to say that every angler I know, without exception, behaves responsibly. After all, if we don't, we stand to lose our club cards. None of our local clubs will tolerate anti-social behaviour such as you've described.

Ahh, if only that was the case.

Unfortunately, no matter how considerate boaters are to anglers, they continue to fish off lock moorings, complain when boats turn in winding holes, Complain when you slow down/speed up/move towards them/move to the offside/ stir up the water/ don't stir up the water/ etc etc.

If anglers really find boats so annoying, why do they fish in the canals? There are plenty of ponds around, many even made into "canals".

And if boats are really so disruptive to fishing, why do I see so many fish caught just after I have gone past?

Come on you anglers, please enlighten us. Why, oh why, do you continue to dangle your maggots in the canals when you so hate boats going past?

Like some on here i am both a Boater and a Fisherman and on a fishing forum recently there was a thread put up by canoists and the crux of it was they suggested that they would take out 10 anglers in canoes for the day on the river and then the fishermen return the compliment and take 10 canoists fishing on the river for the day in an effort to give both factions a better idea of each others sport and how actions from both sides affect each other,Nothing came of it due to apathy and ridicule from both sides.

Maybe this is the way forward invite some of the local fishing clubs comittee members out on a canal boat for the day and then they could return the favour with the hope of building closer ties with the local boaters,understand there will be some that just refuse to try to see the others point of view and yes many on both sides will not listen to the others viewpoint but if you dont try!!!.

Use our cruiser on the Thames and obviously being such a big river conflicts dont happen as often as on the cut,Good and bad on both sides etc etc steve.

we have to remember you can only educate the ones that want to be educated

...so what do we do with the ones that don't want to be educated, or simply don't care? Personally I'd love to put them up against a wall and shoot the lot of 'em, as I'm fed up of having to defend my chosen sport because of these idiots! As I stated before, none of the local anglers I know would ever act in such a way. They would lose their cards instantly.

With all of the clubs that I'm a member of, fish welfare is paramount, as is showing courtesy to other waterway users.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Some of us are actually quite nice!

Janet

snip

You (I assume) pay for your mooring and your licence etc? I pay for my club ticket, EA licence, boat insurance also. I consider that I have as much right to use the canal as you do, albeit in perhaps a different way. There is room for all of us on our inland waterways...boaters, anglers, dog walkers, cyclists, joggers...you name it. It's a public amenity, and it's there for all of us to share. We just need to find a way of doing it that doesn't intrude on the enjoyment of other users.

snip

Janet

Lets just stick with the fishing bit of the above.

The EA rod license goes to the EA not BW so all you are really paying to use BW waters and its land is the club ticket. Club day tickets are advertised for a few pounds a day and club membership is far cheaper.

When the individual fishermen contribute similar amounts to BW as individual boaters then they can have equal rights to the BW amenities, until then equity should indicate boats take precedence.

I am happy to see at last that fishermen in London are supposed (but I bet most do not) have a BW £10 fishing license.

...so what do we do with the ones that don't want to be educated, or simply don't care? Personally I'd love to put them up against a wall and shoot the lot of 'em, as I'm fed up of having to defend my chosen sport because of these idiots! As I stated before, none of the local anglers I know would ever act in such a way. They would lose their cards instantly.

With all of the clubs that I'm a member of, fish welfare is paramount, as is showing courtesy to other waterway users.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Some of us are actually quite nice!

Janet

You kind of lost me there Janet. I'm sat here covered in tar.

Edited to say

I think I caused the confusion for myself. What I was trying to say was that the noddies masquerading as anglers could never be educated because they don't want to and the same applies to some boaters so the conflict stays causing unecessary problems all round. It will never change.

Edited by jeb

...so what do we do with the ones that don't want to be educated, or simply don't care? Personally I'd love to put them up against a wall and shoot the lot of 'em, as I'm fed up of having to defend my chosen sport because of these idiots!

Janet

Totally unacceptable behaviour Janet. Then to further quote your previous post.

"I'm both an angler and a boater, but right at this moment, after reading some of the comments on this thread, I'm quite ashamed to be either...."

I would suggest that it is the angler side of you that allows you to display a lack of consideration for others and then causes you to lose your temper to the point that you want to go around shooting people. :lol:

Janet

Last time we were out the angling club had put up notices telling their members in no uncertain terms that fishing tackle hitting boats would not be tolerated, also that ground bate must not be thrown but spotted using a cup on the pole.

Totally unacceptable behaviour Janet. Then to further quote your previous post.

"I'm both an angler and a boater, but right at this moment, after reading some of the comments on this thread, I'm quite ashamed to be either...."

I would suggest that it is the angler side of you that allows you to display a lack of consideration for others and then causes you to lose your temper to the point that you want to go around shooting people. :lol:

No Zeneteomm, that was my fault, it was'nt Janets quote it was mine and I hit the wrong button replying which made it look like Janets quote. Apologies all round

Lets just stick with the fishing bit of the above

Ok. Let's do so....I'll let you start...

The EA rod license goes to the EA not BW so all you are really paying to use BW waters and its land is the club ticket. Club day tickets are advertised for a few pounds a day and club membership is far cheaper.

Yes, my EA rod license money goes to the EA. I never said othewise.

My club ticket money goes to my clubs and from there it goes from them to BW at whatever the negotiated fee for the lease of the stretch of canal is. Yes, you may see angling tickets advertised for just a few pounds a day to recoup some outlay, but please bear in mind that these clubs may have paid a considerable amount for the rights to fish that particular stretch. I'm currently a member of four clubs with several hundred members between them, and I pay membership fees totalling over £100 per annum, as well as paying for day tickets for stretches where I'm not a member. Multiply my fees by the several hundred other members and day tickets issued on the bank, and it's clear that us anglers DO pay our way.

When the individual fishermen contribute similar amounts to BW as individual boaters then they can have equal rights to the BW amenities, until then equity should indicate boats take precedence.

An angler using a couple of feet of bank doesn't make quite as much use of the canal amenites as boaters do, surely?

Keep it in proportion please, and remember that the canals aren't solely for boaters...they should be available to all. There has to be space for everyone.

Janet

An angler using a couple of feet of bank doesn't make quite as much use of the canal amenites as boaters do, surely?

I agree with everything you've said, Janet except this bit.

An angler may use a couple of feet of bank but the actual swim is at least as long as a full length boat and the full width of the cut.

That said, I've never fallen out with an angler and I don't intend doing now.

That said, I've never fallen out with an angler and I don't intend doing now

Ah bless...you can cruise past my swim any time you like....

Seriously, it's time that boaters, anglers, walkers, joggers, cyclists etc just learned to loosen up a bit and realise that none of us have priority. We need to learn to share what we have, for the benefit of us all.

Janet

Well said Janet - the voice of reason

There are lots of angling boaters and boating anglers on the forum who understand both sides of the argument

Just as there are boaters who have no intention of seeing the anglers point of view and who are quite happy to label all anglers the same way, there are anglers who have no interest in the boaters' point of view

To my mind each is as ignorant and bigoted as the other

Well said Janet - the voice of reason

There are lots of angling boaters and boating anglers on the forum who understand both sides of the argument

Just as there are boaters who have no intention of seeing the anglers point of view and who are quite happy to label all anglers the same way, there are anglers who have no interest in the boaters' point of view

To my mind each is as ignorant and bigoted as the other

Well said again ,I think we are getting there now.

This i s what one chap on the fishing site said they payed.It is only part of the post.

That can be on restoring pathways, locks, fish stocks (less likely), or even fishing access (yeh, dream on). I can't remember what a BWB charge for a stretch, but it used to be something in the region of £1 to £1.50 per yard per year. If that doesn't seem much consider that many licences purchased by clubs are for several miles of canal.

(Edit addition - one club I know rents a stretch of 1½ miles of which almost a mile of it is taken with moored-up narrowboats, some of which are permanent and have gardens opposite the bank. And yes, the club still have to pay their £1+ per yard per year for that banking too, even though it is unusable.)

It is obviously that to hit a narrow boat with a hook and line repeatedly is wrong,or with bait for that matter. The cruelty aspect is also a consideration as is the effect on the bird life from discarded line and weights.That fishermen are yobs (my Shorthand def) some probably are some are not.The canal historically was made for boats and it would not exist if it was not for boats,so all other activities are a byproduct of it and hence subsidiary to it.That said consideration is due to all, in the first instance.i then recommend a sawn off shot gun(NOT added just in case) :lol:

Edited by greywolf

The canal historically was made for boats and it would not exist if it was not for boats,so all other activities are a byproduct of it and hence subsidiary to it.

I've used this argument myself a number of times in the past. However, when using it, I've also been aware that its not quite entirely valid.

Canals weren't created for boats. Canals were created to make money by transporting goods - boats were 'simply' the means used to achieve this.

The very great majority of canal boats no longer transport goods and canal usage has therefore fundamentally changed, even though boats still use them. Canals are - essentially - part of the leisure industry now, and fishing, cycling, walking etc all also achieve aims of the leisure industry.

Despite the above and for a whole host of reasons (including history, tradition, the limited extent of the network available to boats compared to the number of places available to undertake other activities etc etc), I consider that, where there is a conflict between activities on canals, the needs and wants of boats and boaters should generally be afforded greater 'weight' than those of other leisure activities. However, I recognise that the arguments are not always straightforward and that there should be room on the canal system for a diverse range of activities.

I'm glad to see from a number of the later posts on this thread in particular, that I'm not the only one to think this....

We've been lucky so far and not experienced any particular problems with fishermen. Had we of been on the cut on Sunday however things may of changed. At Grindley Brook very busy with boaters and walkers two anglers had decided to go pole fishing in the pound two down from the staircase. When the poles were in straddling the pound = restricted passage and moorings for boats, poles retracted footpath blocked by rods. They had so much kit that was even on the footpath. Anyone who has done Grindley knows how difficult it is to navigate without the need to cater for fishermen ignoring the bylaws.

i suppose in the above case i would first ask them to retract the poles and line for you to get through,if this is refused then inform them that you intend to go through at a safe speed and course for your boat,then go through as if they were not there,they refused a reasonable request and so do not deserve others to act reasonable towards them.Most people are reasonable but there are always some that are not. The loading bay i worked on was often used as a dumping ground for fixtures,you could tell people to remove them,explain that they were very likely to be damaged etc they would not listen when inevitably they were trashed the department would complain and received short thrift from the senior management because it was the seniors who instructed us not to let the dumping go on.I am afraid some people only learn at cost to themselves.

Last time we were out the angling club had put up notices telling their members in no uncertain terms that fishing tackle hitting boats would not be tolerated, also that ground bate must not be thrown but spotted using a cup on the pole.

I think Luton AC rules state specifically that ledgering is not permitted near boats, as a former match angler I had no problem with boats as on the whole it helped the fishing by adding colour to the water. In the winter you'd almost pray for a boat to go through. Anglers prefer you to go down the centre as they usually bait the near and far shelf...If possible run your engine before the match is 'pegged out' and the pegger will not include your mooring in the match. Features like bushes and boats that have been moored for sometime are preffered by matchmen, in fact many go home if they don't draw a peg with a feature that might hold Carp or bream.

I would strongly advise reporting bad behaviour to the local clubs, many let visiting clubs hold matches to help pay for the angling rights and I suspect some of these people are less respectful if they are unfamiliar with canals and boats. The idiots you see by lock moorings are usually kids fishing without a dayticket and probably don't know any better...

I would hazard a guess that the anglers had little or no idea they were in the wrong, I suppose it's a bit like boaters not reading the rules/guidance on passing anglers in the correct, least disruptive manner.

30 years ago i'd turn up at fishing matches and practice for those matches with little knowledge of canals and boats and their particular wants and needs, perhap these guys were just fishing in innocence, its obvious to boaters but perhaps not so black and white from a visitors POV, trust me it's no fun fishing somewhere where you get moaned at/disturbed by boaters and walkers continually.

Paul

Sorry edit my post was a reply to this one from Mikevye

"We've been lucky so far and not experienced any particular problems with fishermen. Had we of been on the cut on Sunday however things may of changed. At Grindley Brook very busy with boaters and walkers two anglers had decided to go pole fishing in the pound two down from the staircase. When the poles were in straddling the pound = restricted passage and moorings for boats, poles retracted footpath blocked by rods. They had so much kit that was even on the footpath. Anyone who has done Grindley knows how difficult it is to navigate without the need to cater for fishermen ignoring the bylaws."

Edited by GSer

to be honest i dont think any of the people that fish near me are members of any club anyway and dont pay a penny to anybody, yesterday one of them was caught trying to get wriggle under the marina's locked gates to go and fish actually next to the boats.

Edited by djangobole

to be honest i dont think any of the people that fish near me are members of any club anyway and dont pay a penny to anybody, yesterday one of them was caught trying to get wriggle under the marina's locked gates to go and fish actually next to the boats.

I'd definitely let the local club know, then. I'm sure they'd be very interesting in people being on their patch unofficially.

Oh, goody ....... it does nothing for my damaged canopy though. :lol:

How big is your collection?

Some of those lures are very expensive and might be sold on

Might go towards the cost of repair or at least you'd get a beer out of it

Being a lure fisherman myself I'd be interested in taking some off your hands, particularly if they are reasonable condition

I'm currently moored near to a marina which is home to very large carp which by all accounts are virtually tame and can be hand fed. On a regular basis anglers night camp on the opposite bank to the marina and use baiting boats to lure the carp out of the marina. I don't know if they have any success but it does highlight the extremes that people will go.

I submit the following as the worst example of angler's collateral damage that I have ever seen with my own eyes:

Last summer leaving Great Heywood about 100 yards South of the lock, hanging from the trees was what appeared with the sun in my eyes, to be a leaf on about a yard of thread.

As I passed under it I realised that it was in fact a dead bat hanging on fishing line.

I guess that an angler had snagged and broken his line in the branches then left it there with the bait still attached. Subsequently the bat had taken the bait and been hooked on the line to suffer a slow and painful death.