Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?

GSer

Featured Posts

Last night I was standing at the bow of my boat on the K&A, talking to a group of walkers about the canal and its facilities, it was a lovely early evening scene of traquility when all of a sudden 15(ish) cyclists came flying down the towpath, the lead rider was shouting ahead to clear the path for others, I would say they were doing 15mph (ish) maybe faster, one of the women in the walker group stood her ground, not unreasonably IMO, but had to jump out of the way of the lead rider when he showed no indication of slowing down and we all ended up crammed onto a foot or so of grass, while the cyclists passed.

One of the walkers were really upset and started remonstrating with the following group the only reaction was a couple of shoulder shruggs and a 'fek off' shouted back to us from a safe distance away down the canal.

Now I like the idea of cyclist being able to share the facility (the canal), but some are just travelling too quick compared to most other canal users, a typical cyclist appears to fat mid 30's lycra clad mountainbiker, 85 gears :lol: knobbly tyres , full suspension, you know "all the gear and no idea".

Nearly all other users use the canal at a snails pace, boats, anglers and walkers, all seem to get along OK till the 'sports' cyclists turn up.

They just don't seem to fit?

Or do they?

Paul

ps I've nothing against people just bimbling along back from the pub or to the shops its the racers that seem to cause the most conflict IMO.

Edited by GSer

Last night I was standing at the bow of my boat on the K&A, talking to a group of walkers about the canal and its facilities, it was a lovely early evening scene of traquility when all of a sudden 15(ish) cyclists came flying down the towpath, the lead rider was shouting ahead to clear the path for others, I would say they were doing 15mph (ish) maybe faster, one of the women in the walker group stood her ground, not unreasonably IMO, but had to jump out of the way of the lead rider when he showed no indication of slowing down and we all ended up crammed onto a foot or so of grass, while the cyclists passed.

One of the walkers were really upset and started remonstrating with the following group the only reaction was a couple of shoulder shruggs and a 'fek off' shouted back to us from a safe distance away down the canal.

Now I like the idea of cyclist being able to share the facility (the canal), but some are just travelling too quick compared to most other canal users, a typical cyclist appears to fat mid 30's lycra clad mountainbiker, 85 gears :lol: knobbly tyres , full suspension, you know "all the gear and no idea".

Nearly all other users use the canal at a snails pace, boats, anglers and walkers, all seem to get along OK till the 'sports' cyclists turn up.

They just don't seem to fit?

Or do they?

Paul

ps I've nothing against people just bimbling along back from the pub or to the shops its the racers that seem to cause the most conflict IMO.

Report the incident to BW and make sure it is logged. If BW get enough reports they may realise there is a problem.

Sue

I'm both keen boater & keen cyclist.

I see no issue with 15mph on a clear towpath with a good view ahead, but the basis on which towpath cycling is allowed is that the cyclist does not have priority, and must give way to other users.

These people are therefore just w***ers, but it's not a reason for banning all cycling on towpaths.

Unless where permitted locally, cycling is only by permit, (admittedly that just means downloading a page from the Web these days). It's quite likely people like you describe haven't bothered, but they are still cycling there.

Do you imagine if it were made illegal, and "No Cycling" signs erected, that these people would stop? I doubt it, for the same reasons as many people cycle (illegally) on public footpaths and pavements.

Of course if the towpath involved is now part of the National Cycle Network, (as many are), then no permit required, but same rules about cyclists giving way to others apply.

Nothing wrong with mountain bikes or Lycra. Something wrong with just some of those that fit that model. (I wish I was thirty something, though!).

Regards,

Alan

Part of the tow path I cycle on to work each morning is a registered Cycle Path (Route 5 - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1148053468062 ) - As a cyclist I generally Stop when passing walkers - allowing them the right of way. I slow at bridges, and would never shout to tell someone to move out of my way while on a narrow path.

I think - like so many problems - there are cyclists who are inconsiderate. I find this rather frustrating as it generally gives all cyclists a bad name.

That's just rude and antisocial behavior, and should not be tolerated on the towpath, any more than we should accept bad and selfish behavior anywhere else. (road, supermarket, pub, city centre etc.)

Trouble is, it's difficult not to be intimidated by aggression, especially when outnumbered.

Cycling is fine on the towpath, if done politely. I know it's difficult, but we should try to stand up to the rude and selfish, to teach them the error of their ways. They can't actually ride through you! I will only step aside when asked nicely, and when it's safe and convenient.

I'm struggling to find any sympathy here when, at the end of the day, all that was required of the party of walkers was that they step to one side. Gosh, have they recovered yet? Can we have a bit of perspective? Ok, they may have been a bit brusque about it, but does it really merit more than a "My, they were a bit ignorant..."????

We all need to get back to the attitude of living along side others rather than at the expense of others. All it takes is a bit of give and take - and that's not "you give and I'll take!"

In this scenario, all the bikers need to do is to slow down and sound a bell and the walkers to move to the side - everyone's happy and no-one gets hurt.

I'm struggling to find any sympathy here when, at the end of the day, all that was required of the party of walkers was that they step to one side. Gosh, have they recovered yet? Can we have a bit of perspective? Ok, they may have been a bit brusque about it, but does it really merit more than a "My, they were a bit ignorant..."????

I find the most effective thing is to grab the centre line and then step back into the bushes the other side of the towpath!

works every time.

Another ruse that a friend in London uses to stop the mini motos is a some bricks across the towpath about 50m either side of his boat, his score so far two in the bushes and one in the cut :lol:

Julian

I find the most effective thing is to grab the centre line and then step back into the bushes the other side of the towpath!

works every time.

Another ruse that a friend in London uses to stop the mini motos is a some bricks across the towpath about 50m either side of his boat, his score so far two in the bushes and one in the cut :lol:

Julian

When they fall off does he go and give them a good kicking or does he feel causing injury using less direct methods more morally justifiable?

I do have sympathy with Paul (Gser).

The problem on the K&A is that it is a dedicated cycleway.

There are signs telling cyclists to give way to pedestrians.

This group were not the typical ones I have met on the K&A.

Maybe I have been lucky.

Not looking for sympathy, there was plenty of room for the cyclists to manouver had they slowed a little, there were children, dogs, elderly people all using the towpath at the time and all had to give way to the cyclist group or else risk injury.

They were very ignorant not just a bit, if they want to travel fast then there is a road that runs paralel to most of this canal, of course that would mean using a few more of those gears because its not always dead flat. :lol:

This was not an isolated incident, I cycle along towpaths, but I'd like to think I travel at a speed that is not in confict with the other users of the canal. Ride at pace on a deserted towpath if you wish, but a crowded area with moored boats and other visitors and sundry hazards then slow down or go somewhere else.

Modern bikes with suspension and light weight materials allow riders to travel much quicker than in the past, in the old days skill and a little stupidity was needed to ride a rigid, fixed wheel bike at speed on the dirt, nowadays it seems much easier as any muppet seems to be able to do it now with ease.

Paul

I do have sympathy with Paul (Gser).

The problem on the K&A is that it is a dedicated cycleway.

There are signs telling cyclists to give way to pedestrians.

This group were not the typical ones I have met on the K&A.

Maybe I have been lucky.

I assume that you are referring to the section of the K&A between Bath and Bradford on Avon, which is part of a National Cycle way, and it really depends when you have been on that section. In the main during the week, the only cyclists you see are either people cycling to and from work, mature tourists, or mothers, with young children, but at the weekend particuoarly on Sundays in the summer, it can be mayhem. It is not unusual to encounter sizeable groups of cyclists who consider the topwpath to be their own dedicated race track, and wo-betide anyone who gets in their way. They charge along in packs shouting at everyone and being abusive to anyone who does not immediately jump into the bushes. BW are already aware of this problem but have said that they can only take action if they see it happening, or members of the public can provide details of the offenders. Fair enough, but even a Photo will reveal little as these people are a either looking downwards, or cover their faces with large reflective cycling sunglasses. As a result I do not think that any prosecutions have taken place.

As an aside, the most interesting confrontations experienced are between these groups of unsociable cyclists and anglers, this has been known to result in punches being thrown. Several years ago at a Users Group Consultatative Meeting, the Cyclsts representatives and Anglers representatives had a a disagreement over priorities, which resulted in punch up between them in the meeting!! Meanwhile the Boat club and K&A Trust reps sat quietly uninvolved, bemused at this display of animosity.

Edited by David Schweizer

Whether it's cyclists, fishermen, horse riders or boaters .............

The minority will always spoil it for the majority.

And the rule applies to life in general and not just canals. Idiots are dangerous and need harnassing for the benefit of everybody. Report them.

I assume that you are referring to the section of the K&A between Bath and Bradford on Avon, which is part of a National Cycle way, and it really depends when you have been on that section. BIG SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

David

Yes,

I can only relate what I have seen, been involved with, (whole section not all at once) hence my last line, "Maybe I have been lucky"

Sounds like the cyclist gave plenty of warning so the woman should have moved. Walkers don't own the towpaths. I personal find it better to shout politly than use a bell as this way you can warn people what side you will be passing them on.

I had a bit of a run in with a cyclist yesterday with our new rescue pup I thought she had ignored him but as he cycled off she gave chase. He was really nice and stopped till I had caught up with her and got her back on the lead.

Us cyclists are not all bad. :lol:

Sounds like the cyclist gave plenty of warning so the woman should have moved.

Don't understand this - if somebody is in your way you avoid them, they don't have to, or may not be able to, move, maybe they are deaf.

You have absolutely no right to tell anyone to move so you can be where they are.

Personally I don't see that anyone was right here!

Certainly the cyclist was probably going too fast, but he did shout a fair warning, therefore the walker did have plenty of time to move by was being as equally beligerent.

for me it was just two wrongs, which as we all know will never make a right!

Obviously the cyclist never considered the possibility that the walkers may have suffered from impaired hearing.

it is a sad fact that too many groups think the canals and towpaths are only there for them.

My old grannies favourite trick was to wait until the last moment to step aside and drop her shopping bag under the front wheel, then apologies most profusely to the heap on the ground saying she was deaf and he had startled her, and walk away smiling.

Tacks.....

That's the solution.

No seriously I havn't got a problem with the odd cyclist here and there but when start treating the tow path like a stage of the 'tour de France' then they deserve being pushed into the cut.

As a matter of interest is you were a horse boat would they expact the horse to move out of the way?

A little civility costs nothing.

Personally I don't see that anyone was right here!

Certainly the cyclist was probably going too fast, but he did shout a fair warning, therefore the walker did have plenty of time to move by was being as equally beligerent.

for me it was just two wrongs, which as we all know will never make a right!

Obviously the cyclist never considered the possibility that the walkers may have suffered from impaired hearing.

it is a sad fact that too many groups think the canals and towpaths are only there for them.

My old grannies favourite trick was to wait until the last moment to step aside and drop her shopping bag under the front wheel, then apologies most profusely to the heap on the ground saying she was deaf and he had startled her, and walk away smiling.

Sorry but there was no fault by the walkers, a dozen of them were trying to get out of the way, one lady was unable to clear the wide tow path totally, the cyclists never deviated from their chosen path or slowed their pace. She eventually had to get very familier to another passer by to stay safe, if it had have been me I would have stayed put as the cyclists could have easily avoided any collision, but they didn't, they just shouted "coming through, coming through"

This wasn't a group of militant ramblers (don't get me started on them) just a family day out looking at the canal and some boats, there were 3-4 generations from toddlers to granny, on an afternoon after lunch gamble

Paul

A mooring pin, pushed through their spokes at the right time, would work wonders.

When I used to do a bit of fishing there was a guy that would just cycle straight at a fishing pole shouting at the top of his voice that he would run through anything obstructing his path, I thought that one day it would be nice to have a nice heavy boat pole across the path and see if he could ride through that :lol:

Never had the chance to see if he could :lol:

Paul

When they fall off does he go and give them a good kicking or does he feel causing injury using less direct methods more morally justifiable?

I belive he leaves them where they land.

it is illegal to ride a mini moto on the towpath and is a problem in the London area.

J

Sounds like the cyclist gave plenty of warning so the woman should have moved. Walkers don't own the towpaths. I personal find it better to shout politly than use a bell as this way you can warn people what side you will be passing them on.

I had a bit of a run in with a cyclist yesterday with our new rescue pup I thought she had ignored him but as he cycled off she gave chase. He was really nice and stopped till I had caught up with her and got her back on the lead.

Us cyclists are not all bad. :lol:

If they all share this attitude, then I may have to disagree with you.

This is a SHARED path, which means that cyclists and pedestrians each have an entirely equal right to be there.

Your post implies that the pedestrian has a perfect right to be there, UNLESS he has been given sufficient warning to get out of the way by a lycra lout.

You seem to believe that in any circumstance where there isn't room for both cyclist and pedestrian, the pedestrian should get out of the cyclists way. What an arrogant, self-centred, view of the world. Why should the cyclist not give way to the pedestrians?

If there isn't room for everybody at a particular point, all must adjust their use accordingly. The pedestrians should move into single file (but shouldn't have to get into the grass), and the cyclists should slow down so as to allow time for any potentially infirm pedestrians to move (if they need to slow down too much, they should hop off the bikes, and walk past the pedestrians), and should pay attention to the mud that they throw up.