Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?

GSer

Featured Posts

Having brought up the subject of horses, and wandering off-topic.

If the towpath is not wide enough for two cyclists to pass, or a cyclist to pass a walker, how did two horses pass each other?

Richard

Very carefully? :lol:

I think back in the day, the towpaths would have been better suited to passing horses, and with the decline, they just got overgrown with trees, bushes and nettles, hence they got narrower and less able to handle as much traffic, so, blame BW... :lol:

Very carefully? :lol:

I think back in the day, the towpaths would have been better suited to passing horses, and with the decline, they just got overgrown with trees, bushes and nettles, hence they got narrower and less able to handle as much traffic, so, blame BW... :lol:

Maybe we should divide the tow paths into broad beam and narrow beam and not let fat people on the narrow beam ones?

Yes, cyclists are inconsiderate. They all go far too fast, they mow down innocent old ladies, and if there were red lights on the towpath, they'd jump them. We should ban cyclists.

Also, the other night I was walking along the T&M in Burton and there were a bunch of kids sitting on the towpath leaving glass bottles everywhere - very dangerous. Kids are always doing this, so I reckon we should ban kids. Come to think of it, these kids didn't cycle to the canal, they walked there. In fact, most canal vandals seem to walk there. If we banned walkers, as was the case in the old days, the canals would be much safer - and hey, they don't pay like we do, do they? Let's ban them.

Anglers leave litter, too. Moreover, their general grumpy demeanour (so different from John's perpetual ray of sunshine) hardly enhances the canalside experience. So let's ban anglers. And those bloody hire-boaters, eh? Always crashing into the gates that we pay our licence fee to maintain. Nothing but a nuisance. Ban them, I say.

Mind you, when we were on the BCN the other month, we saw a private boater emptying his Elsan into the Old Main Line, just above the Smethwick Pumping Station. Absolutely disgusting. It's with a heavy heart I say it, but clearly, we must ban private boaters.

Still, after everyone's been banned, at least the floating water plantain will have the Rochdale to itself. I hope it enjoys it.

I agree with every word you wrote except the bit about banning boaters. Get rid of everyone else.

Sue

much like a cycle PATH not a cycle ROAD ???

Ahh but Graham the modern term is Cycle 'Track' and that implies speed.

Probably not the best first post, but after lurking here for boat info i can't help but to comment on this

You can't tar everybody with the same brush.

I think the point is to be considerate to other users.

You are going to get inconsiderate people:

on the towpath

on the road

in the park

living next door

on the bus

on the tube

on the train

in the pub

in the restaraunt

in the shops

at the petrol station

in the post office

And everywhere else.

Some of those people will be boat owners.

Lets ban boat owners from all those places.

I hope some of you can see my point, or just ban me...

Steve

(BTW I use about 3 miles of the GU for my 10 mile each way cycle commute)

Given that this thread is about Cyclist on the tow path and not boaters in pubs. shops. etc I feel I have to say :lol:

Maybe you could start another thread about banning boaters in pubs, shops etc. but please, wear a flak jacket . . . . . it wont be easy. :lol:

I for one did not intend to imply that all cyclists are at fault but the fact is that many or most towpaths

are just not wide enough for multi-use, but it is true to say that almost by definition it is the

pedestrians that must leap into the hedgerow when there is any kind of conflict.

I wish that were true when I'm on a towpath, minding my own business, and some walker's great big German Shepherd, running free, decides I'm not going to continue.

It's usually me that ends up where I don't want to be in those cases.

I like dogs, but as has been said repeatedly on this and related topics, there are responsible and irresponsible members of just about any group you chose to target.

To me this is very much about the particular location. Some places can easily support "multiple use" of a towpath, particularly if in practice that means you can go 5 miles without passing any other pedestrian or cyclist. Other places are much narrower, or much more frequented, possibly to the point that expecting to make reasonable progress on a bike is not realistic. Trying to enforce any blanket rule, irrespective of towpath type, or numbers of cyclists, walkers, fishermen, etc, is, in my view, bonkers.

When I cycle, I expect to achieve an average speed of between 15 and 20 mph and, at these speeds, it is plainly unsafe to share the same path as pedestrians.

I don't actually always agree with this.

There are plenty of bits of towpath around here, straight, with a clear view ahead, where there is no reason at all why you should not cycle at these speeds, (if fit enough!), provided you stop doing so well before you have to pass or overtake anybody.

I'm not condoning the nutters who cycle London Towpath's at these speeds, as clearly there is too much else going on, but I could easily (say) ride the 3 miles of Tring summit some evenings, and not find one other "shared" user. Why should I be denied that, (even in Lycra :lol: ), just because of other prats behaviours ?

There are plenty of bits of towpath around here, straight, with a clear view ahead, where there is no reason at all why you should not cycle at these speeds, (if fit enough!), provided you stop doing so well before you have to pass or overtake anybody.

In that case you are very fortunate - I certainly wouldn't consider myself safe riding at more than a fast walking pace on the Oxford Canal towpath - its narrow, muddy and treacherous - give me tarmac any day.

In that case you are very fortunate - I certainly wouldn't consider myself safe riding at more than a fast walking pace on the Oxford Canal towpath - its narrow, muddy and treacherous - give me tarmac any day.

Yes,

As I said, it varies enormously from place to place, and even where not upgraded to cycle paths, Grand Union towpaths down this way tend to be better than most. If one cycles into central London, (about 45 miles from here, I think), I can think of only three places where the surface is particularly poor, and only one where it can sometimes be a quagmire, (except when, exceptionally, the Chess was in flood, and you couldn't see the towpath at Ricky at all!)..

Even so, at some places, conflicting uses means you need to kill your speed completely.

The sections of the Paddington arm that have had high voltage cables laid under concrete decking have a better surface than many roads, so road speeds are easily possible. However there are enough other folks around that I can't condone 15 to 20 mph, except when you really have got it all to yourself.

From what I understand of vegetation cutting on the Southern Oxford, I get the impression that just locating the towpath must be hard sometimes, let alone cycling on it.

Wouldn't it be nice if people just had the intelligence to act sensibly, rather than needing rules, or even bans. For some reason the entire GU towpath right through the whole Milton Keynes area has now been designated "no cycling", despite being high quality. Not an issue where MK's "red routes" run alongside, but is a problem on the long stretches where they don't. I'm not one for breaking rules, but if cycling up there, I'd probably ignore that one, where no easy alternate route has been provided.

Earlier in the year I did find an alternative to cycling on the tow path . . .

railbike.jpg

Stange that Graham - I saw you more as a standard gauge man.

Something more like this, perhaps ?

(The two "lads" in the photo might not thank me for posting though, as they are now 20 and 18!).

Velo_Rail.jpg

Stange that Graham - I saw you more as a standard gauge man.

Something more like this, perhaps ?

(The two "lads" in the photo might not thank me for posting though, as they are now 20 and 18!).

Velo_Rail.jpg

As a matter of interest where was that - my rail-biking was on a private line belonging to a friend of mine in Worcestershire and I had to get a move on because the train was following at a rate of knots.

Edited by NB Alnwick

As a matter of interest where was that - my rail-biking was on a private line belonging to a friend of mine in Worcestershire and I had to get a move on because the train was following at a rate of knots.

That "Velo Rail" is at Commeqiers in the Vendee region of France.

http://www.vendeens.com/Balade-velo-rail-commequiers.htm

There are quite a few French ones, we have also done one at Vesoul. (Different technique on each - on the first you have to lift off and carry round on the outward trip, if you meet someone coming the other way - on the second you swap "car" with the people you meet!).

This site shows them all, but unless a lot more energetic than us, the video at the start has been heavily speeded up. The "cars" weigh a great deal, and only two can pedal, making all other passengers dead weight. There is also only one gear.

I should point out that so far as I know, none run service trains at the same time!

http://www.velorailsdefrance.com

That "Velo Rail" is at Commeqiers in the Vendee region of France.

http://www.vendeens.com/Balade-velo-rail-commequiers.htm

There are quite a few French ones, we have also done one at Vesoul. (Different technique on each - on the first you have to lift off and carry round on the outward trip, if you meet someone coming the other way - on the second you swap "car" with the people you meet!).

I've obviously led a sheltered life, having not been exposed to such delights!

My only excursions to France have been in persuit of operational steam railways but this looks like a novel way af managing redundant tracks . . .

I've obviously led a sheltered life, having not been exposed to such delights!

My only excursions to France have been in persuit of operational steam railways but this looks like a novel way af managing redundant tracks . . .

I was staggered that there are now numbers approaching the mid thirties. That said when we did it, you had to book an awful lot of days in advance - little prospect of just turning up, and expecting a ride.

It's a beautifully French thing, and a bit odd!

oooh, cycling by rail, if only we could do that, the branch line that stops here in Colne is empty for about 1/2-3/4 of an hour while the old diesel chuggers are awaiting their turn to run on the single track (I really wish they'd make it a double, at least up to Nelson (where the original line for the other direction now has a footbridge over it to get to the lift in "Nelson Interchange" bus station)), but the likelihood of ever doing that here happening is slim... :lol:

Back to the canals though, I was really concious about the walkers and boaters yesterday, avoiding them by going over speedbumps so they could walk over the flattened bit of the bumps, and today I have a sore ar53 for doing so!!! :lol:

There was also a fella filling up his water tank, and at that point I was walking, and as I approached the hosepipe across the path, I lifted my bike as not to crush the pipe (I could hear the thing leaking at the other end, and a sudden pressure build up could mean it pops off the tap!!!), then when I was past, I hopped back on after walking round a family with kids and freewheeled all the way down to the big farm-type gate below the top Barrowford lock. And even them I was still going over speedbumps, but that's cos of the cars that run up and down there to the carpark (there's another topic, do cars belong on the towpath? :lol: )... ;)

Then it was off under bridge 143A, past 143, under 142 (the M65 motorway bridge, what an eyesore!!!), slowed for the two people that were stood in the middle of the path and thanked them for parting and letting me through and then it was off round onto Greenfield Road, then I was off home again... ;)

I might have a night-time cycle tonight (bad sleeping pattern you see), and may even have a naughty nosey at that poor boat, if I'm brave enough... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

we have an added 'nuisance' on the Staffs and Worcs canal in Wombourne in the form of 150+ (yes 150+) female joggers who make their way at various speeds along the towpath. Some are jogging, some walking and talking. All though pound up the towpath which is great and all that but when you're grabbing a few hours fishing on a beautiful summers evening, the approach of this group does put a damper on your eve. Last time it took them 15 minutes to pass through. I dont mind this really but you do think, 'Hang on a bit, I pay to sit here and this group probably do more wear and tear to the towpath than any other individual activity on that stretch. Beware the running clubs!!! coming to a canal near you soon!!! :lol:

we have an added 'nuisance' on the Staffs and Worcs canal in Wombourne in the form of 150+ (yes 150+) female joggers who make their way at various speeds along the towpath. Some are jogging, some walking and talking. All though pound up the towpath which is great and all that but when you're grabbing a few hours fishing on a beautiful summers evening, the approach of this group does put a damper on your eve. Last time it took them 15 minutes to pass through. I dont mind this really but you do think, 'Hang on a bit, I pay to sit here and this group probably do more wear and tear to the towpath than any other individual activity on that stretch. Beware the running clubs!!! coming to a canal near you soon!!! :lol:

Some gents I know would pay a small fortune to see that..'specially in the rain!

• 2 weeks later...

It is an interesting observation of the effect of undamped oscillation that one bobs up and down whilst the other describes a perfect figure 8!

It is an interesting observation of the effect of undamped oscillation that one bobs up and down whilst the other describes a perfect figure 8!

Or as, in the skipping chant... Jelly on a plate.

Do they return so you get a view of the oscillation of both sides. Mind you some of the blokes jogging have better bums.

:lol:

Edited by Tiny