Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?

GSer

Featured Posts

Er... if they drive or boat alongside the rest of us, they already are paying a licence to use the roads or canals.

twocvbloke: there's no public right of way for anyone on BW towpaths - they're permissive paths, not rights of way.

It was said (rather poorly i admit) in reply to Alan's post seemingly claiming a moral high ground for cyclists.

Yes, they are the same as everybody else, we have to pay for almost every other hobby or pastime, so why not cyclists?

A compulsory insurance for over 12 year olds and covered under a family policy if under age would be a good start

Paul

And for extra contentiousness, we should also make a distinction between those who have galvanic isolators fitted to their bikes and those who... (runs away screaming)

and those cyclists who don't need one, because they behave nicely and aren't about to have their bike thrown into the cut to teach them a lesson?

and for those saying that a bicycle isn't as manoeuvrable...

One of whom is me. And I'll set you a challenge. We'll lay a plank across the canal. I'll walk to the middle, stop, turn around and come back. And then you can do the same on your bike (and, yes, you can use your brakes). Don't worry, I'll fish you out after...

If we're licensing bikes on roads and towpaths, does that mean that one of mayalld's jackbooted officials may soon be leering down at my six year old daughter asking, "vere are your papers???"

For all we know the cyclist wouldn't have hit her anyway. I've seen so many near misses in situations like this but the cyclist will always get out the way when needed. He would probably get more hurt than her and if hes anything like most cyclists I know he wouldn't dare damage his bike that he probably gives more love to than his wife or gf. :lol:

One of whom is me. And I'll set you a challenge. We'll lay a plank across the canal. I'll walk to the middle, stop, turn around and come back. And then you can do the same on your bike (and, yes, you can use your brakes). Don't worry, I'll fish you out after...

If we're licensing bikes on roads and towpaths, does that mean that one of mayalld's jackbooted officials may soon be leering down at my six year old daughter asking, "vere are your papers???"

The jackboots will be optional.

Well, that's a job for those who dance about on rocks and benches and things, who I have seen in person turn around by 180 degrees... :lol:

What I was referring to is that I can slow down, and I can turn Left or Right to avoid an obstacle of some sort (Person, Dog, Cat, Toad, Poo, etc), I don't shout "Coming through" and just barge my way past, I slow down, even stop if necessary in some cases (bridges usually), and thank the person(s) if they do move for me, as I am a courteous rider. I usually ride on the opposite side of the towpath to the canal to avoid fishermen and boaters. Occasionally I've had a barsteward in Lycra force me over to avoid a collision, all because he/she wanted to stay in the middle of the towpath, not to the left or right!!! So they don't just order pedestrians out of the way... :lol:

And I know this sounds silly, but I actually can't wait to accidentally fall in the canal off my bike... :lol:

I think we need to make a distinction between boaters, who have a bicycle (ordinary cyclists) and what I like to call "continuous cyclists" who don't own a boat.

There should certainly be a distinction between responsible cyclists who are regular seen to keep moving, and not revisit the same spots too often, and those who leave their bike continually "moored" to a tree, often for more than a fortnight at a time. :lol:

As has been eloquently put by others, we can easily find both good and irresponsible members of any of the following groups...

Walkers

Dog owners

Cyclists

Fishermen

Drivers

Owner boaters

Hire Boaters

Church Goers

etc, etc

Belonging to one or more of these groups neither makes you good nor irresponsible.

It's how you chose to behave when going about your activity that determines that, not the actual act of going about it.

In some places (e.g. the Grand Union) where the National Cycle Network follows towpaths, a 10mph speed limit is requested.

It wouldn't hurt to have this on the K&A - and, for once, I'd actually like to see more signs promoting this. For a cyclist who's been following (say) the Bristol-Bath railway path, it may be helpful to see reminders that the towpath, despite also being an off-road route, operates under very different rules. The London scheme is a good example to follow.

Richard

(incidentally a volunteer Sustrans ranger, though obviously speaking in a personal capacity)

So we send our hate mail to you? :lol:

Sue

escargot.jpg

and where does this fit into it all?

Is it still around. It was a lovely idea but an abortion to ride. I have propelled it to raise money for wrg. One of the crew got blisters on her bum.

Sue

My daughter fishing with a twig and a bent pin was asked for her fishing licence.

Sue

Edited by sueb

I guess it's an archaic concept, we used to call it "manners". It goes something like this...

1st cyclist; "Hello, mind if we come past?"

Pedestrian; "Not at all, half a mo' while we sort ourselves out, come on kids, stand over here........There you go"

Cyclist; "Thank you"

Pedestrian; "That's all right, have a nice ride"

etc.

I really can't see the need for jackboots, insurance, rules, signs, more bloody bureocracy etc. etc. blah blah blah.......

Edited by Rick-n-Jo

Well we have had a couple of very irresponsible Catholic priests in this area recently, (one, unfortunately, attached to a school ).

Another's trial is in the local paper this week.

As I say, whatever you chose as a category, you can usually find good or bad, or resposible or irresponsible.

Well we have had a couple of very irresponsible Catholic priests in this area recently, (one, unfortunately, attached to a school ).

Another's trial is in the local paper this week.

As I say, whatever you chose as a category, you can usually find good or bad, or resposible or irresponsible.

If that's the cleric I think you mean, "irresponsible" is drawing it a bit mild. Are you, perchance, the Pope?

If that's the cleric I think you mean, "irresponsible" is drawing it a bit mild. Are you, perchance, the Pope?

Nah, The only white smoke associated with me is when I fire up the engine....

Nothing to do with me being made head of the Catholic Church, so far as I know.

(And yes, the people I'm thinking of abused their trust very heavily, and did a great deal more than just be irresponsible. :lol: But like the cyclists, it doesn't mean all Catholic priests are bad, just because there are some very nasty people amongst their number. )

I guess it's an archaic concept, we used to call it "manners". It goes something like this...

1st cyclist; "Hello, mind if we come past?"

Pedestrian; "Not at all, half a mo' while we sort ourselves out, come on kids, stand over here........There you go"

Cyclist; "Thank you"

Pedestrian; "That's all right, have a nice ride"

etc.

I really can't see the need for jackboots, insurance, rules, signs, more bloody bureocracy etc. etc. blah blah blah.......

:lol:

Well said

Not a direct contribution here, but I have used the lane to our house as motorist, cyclist and pedestrian off & on for over 40 years. It was originally the horse path over the tunnel.

There's been a very definite change in that period, most notable in the last 10 years or so.

Pedestrians would, as soon as they heard a vehicle coming, get themselves out of its path before it reached them.

Now they will continue wandering with their children and dogs all across the lane until a vehicle is right upon them, and then proceed to give the driver dirty looks as if to say 'What are you doing coming down here and disturbing our peace?' even when the driver has given them every possible consideration.

Another observation, which is nothing new, is that if a vehicle meets a group of people, even just two people, in a narrow track you can almost guarantee that they will split and go to both sides of the track thus further reducing the space available for the vehicle :lol:

Tim

Not a direct contribution here, but I have used the lane to our house as motorist, cyclist and pedestrian off & on for over 40 years. It was originally the horse path over the tunnel.

There's been a very definite change in that period, most notable in the last 10 years or so.

Pedestrians would, as soon as they heard a vehicle coming, get themselves out of its path before it reached them.

Now they will continue wandering with their children and dogs all across the lane until a vehicle is right upon them, and then proceed to give the driver dirty looks as if to say 'What are you doing coming down here and disturbing our peace?' even when the driver has given them every possible consideration.

Another observation, which is nothing new, is that if a vehicle meets a group of people, even just two people, in a narrow track you can almost guarantee that they will split and go to both sides of the track thus further reducing the space available for the vehicle :lol:

Tim

Again it works both ways though. I walk my new pup down the road to get to a field to let her off for a run. Shes still quite a hand full at the moment so as soon as I hear a car coming I try as hard as I can to get her to sit. This can take some time. Some car drivers see the trouble i have and give us a wide berth and a wave others speed past so close looking like they are trying to play chicken with us.

Like others have said you get bad people in all groups.

I am getting quite fed up with the moaning about cyclists though, the local press seems to be full of it to. People can't seem to keep out of other peoples business anymore... damn daily mail readers grumble grumble....