NB Bix

Orca

Featured Posts

I saw 'Bix' moored today in Northamptonshire - just wondered if this was the original boat from Iris Bryce's 1970's adventures as featured in her book or a newer version?? I recall the original boat was built circa 1973??

I believe it's the original one. It's not far from its original home either. AFAIK Iris still lives in the same house at Blisworth.

But someone told me there's no longer a piano on board (don't know if that's true, just repeating what I was told)

I believe it's the original one. It's not far from its original home either. AFAIK Iris still lives in the same house at Blisworth.

But someone told me there's no longer a piano on board (don't know if that's true, just repeating what I was told)

We called in to see her last year and she sold us one of her books we didn't have

I saw 'Bix' moored today in Northamptonshire - just wondered if this was the original boat from Iris Bryce's 1970's adventures as featured in her book or a newer version?? I recall the original boat was built circa 1973??

Yes, it use to be moored at Blisworth near where she lives. we passed it yesterday between Gayton and Braunston but I can't remember where.

• 6 years later...

We called in to see her last year and she sold us one of her books we didn't have

Yes, it use to be moored at Blisworth near where she lives. we passed it yesterday between Gayton and Braunston but I can't remember where.

Saw it again last week on the Staff and Worc all this talk of pianos on boats reminded me about her

Edited by ditchcrawler

Yes, thats the same one. We went out with Iris and Owen years ago, and going down one of the locks at Stoke Bruerne he managed to get caught on the cill! Not badly, and quickly rectified. (Blimey, that must be 25+ years ago).

eta - If I remember correctly, Bix was named after the jazz musician, Bix Beiderbecke

Edited by Mike Tee

• 1 year later...

Bix is moored outside the Heart of England PH at Weedon today! I have just read Iris's three canal books and couldn't help myself going to have a chat. The new owner is in regular contact with Iris and Owen.

• Greenie 1

For those of you who may have known him, Owen died last October.

Didn't know him - but I think that they and Bix were featured in one of the boatimags some years ago.

A bit of advice if you find yourself behind "Bix" as it makes its way very slowly up the canal......

If they wave you past, expect the unexpected.

We had a more than slightly "interesting" experience in what should have been an entirely straightforward overtaking. No damage done, fortunately, but they had me working hard to avoid any!

Nice try!

Bix Beiderbecke, Jazz composer, pianist and cornet-player

Leon Bismark 'Bix' Beiderbeck. Born in Davenport Iowa. Died tragically young in 1931. His playing was describes as sounding like 'a girl saying yes'. Great music.

Nice try!

Bix Beiderbecke, Jazz composer, pianist and cornet-player

And (indirectly) leading to "The Beiderbecke Affair", a TV series around the mid 1980's? - A Yorkshire schoolteacher mad about Bix getting dragged into the shady world of illegal record imports.

And (indirectly) leading to "The Beiderbecke Affair", a TV series around the mid 1980's? - A Yorkshire schoolteacher mad about Bix getting dragged into the shady world of illegal record imports.

Starring James Bolam and Barbara Flynn. A wonderful sureal comedy including a spoof on Get Carter except the principal character rode a bike round the car park!!

• 6 years later...

She's actually surprisingly solid!

I still haven't gotten the hang on turning round without parking the bow in a hedge (my last boat was 43' so a bit easier to spin)

Saying that I CAN see daylight through the rust holes in the rear bulkhead 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Squirrelyt said:

Just an FYI for anyone who's still active on this post... I bought Bix in November 2020 and started the long process of re-fitting/repairing and rebuilding.

She's seen far better days but is still alive and kicking!

If it is the Owen's Bix it is a Harborough Marine boat built in Market Harborough and most likely has a Lister SR3 engine.   Wet bilge boat.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

I'm aware.

It's actually two different lister sr3s frankensteined together at the moment.

I'm going to dig the book out later to have a look... I've always worked off the basis she's Harborough Marine but the Fernie Fab comment above has me questioning