Good new prog C4 @4pm, weekdays, about Living On Canal and waterways

LEO

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

It was entertaining enough, but it really irked me that the woman with the raw water cooled boat that did not have a screwdriver, set off from the centre of Manchester bound for Llangollen, turned left (as expected) at Waters meeting, and then was on the Leeds Liverpool canal doing 2 swing bridges and a lock before mooring up in Parbold facing in the direction of Wigan.  

I can only assume that perhaps she started from Rufford, and went into Manchester and turned (it actually showed her turning in Manchester) before heading off to Llangollen, but they just decided to fake it, and have her start in Manchester, but why does that look better at the expense of facts?

Rant over!

I was surprised that she travelled past Barbridge before arriving at Parbold...

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was surprised that she travelled past Barbridge before arriving at Parbold...

I didn’t spot that, clearly they have just assembled the shots they have in a rather random order.  No doubt she will be at Barbridge again in the few episodes time!

Only seen the first 15 or so minutes.

As for the boat being delivered to Thorne...... reckon it would have been far more entertaining featuring THAT BLOODY FOOTBRIDGE !!!  the one the young woman was standing in front of.

(One might guess that we have had history with it. 😀 )

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

It was entertaining enough, but it really irked me that the woman with the raw water cooled boat that did not have a screwdriver, set off from the centre of Manchester bound for Llangollen, turned left (as expected) at Waters meeting, and then was on the Leeds Liverpool canal doing 2 swing bridges and a lock before mooring up in Parbold facing in the direction of Wigan.  

I can only assume that perhaps she started from Rufford, and went into Manchester and turned (it actually showed her turning in Manchester) before heading off to Llangollen, but they just decided to fake it, and have her start in Manchester, but why does that look better at the expense of facts?

Rant over!

And approached Anderton from the south!

The boats were all dubbed with the sound of traditional engines too! 🤣I’m not clever enough to know which engine though. 
That awful green boat at the Crick show has had most of its workings replaced at least once in the last 11 months so I hardly think it’s the wonderful, innovative design that guy from Oakums was claiming. I seem to remember one of those lads saying about it guzzling more diesel than their previous diesel boat.

My wife has also just told me that there’s a numbers of complaints on Faceache about Oakums too.

I’m concerned about the gal from Doncaster….thats going to be a steep learning curve. Pizza boat was brilliant. Overall I enjoyed watching….seldom bother with telly but very curious about the next episode. Graphic design lady tied her boat up in the lock to the ladder……some things just shouldn’t be shown on tv.

1 minute ago, Napton said:

The boats were all dubbed with the sound of traditional engines too! 🤣I’m not clever enough to know which engine though. 

I did wonder why I enjoyed the sound of them so much!

The first five episodes are actually all available on more4 or whatever it’s called these days. Pretty good in my opinion, at least it’s not showing only the idyllic side that we’re often exposed to in newspaper articles or instagram feeds. The blokes that run Waltzing Matilda are lovely, I’ve had more than a few pizzas from them!

i must admit, I initially rolled my eyes at the girl from Doncaster but after a few episodes, seeing her and her mum getting stuck in, I’m a massive fan. Really hope she falls in love with the canals and sticks with it, she’s definitely got the enthusiasm. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

History to as what the fu&k your confused about, what has this got to do with the original thread, stop trying to be clever and please relate to the TV programme. 

Do calm down!

• Greenie 1

Well I chanced on it today whilst retuning the TV, I only lasted a few minutes what a pile of crap. WTF has getting a sofa delivered got to do with boating. Would have been better if the sofa was too big to go in the boat.

Absolutely pathetic program

Just now, GUMPY said:

Well I chanced on it today whilst retuning the TV, I only lasted a few minutes what a pile of crap. WTF has getting a sofa delivered got to do with boating. Would have been better if the sofa was too big to go in the boat.

Oh no it wouldn't. DAMHIK... 😞 

10 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Got a spare sofa have you?

No, they took it back after a lot of arguing. Cost a lot of hassle though, plus a significant chunk of money for the time Finesse spent unpacking and dismantling it trying to break it down to go through the doors as the supplier had claimed it would, then reassembling and repacking it after it became obvious that it wouldn't... 😞 

Luckily I had an email trail which showed I'd told them before ordering it exactly what the requirements were and this was a condition of placing the order, and they'd confirmed (twice!) that it would fit. They still didn't believe me until I showed them the photos of it, and eventually got confirmation from the factory (in China, of course...) that it didn't break down as they'd said.

Still tried to charge me 25% for "restocking fee" on the basis that it was custom-made, I had to threaten them with the Sale of Goods act and small claims court to get them to refund the full sum...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

5 hours ago, GUMPY said:

I watched most of the first one of fast forward as in real time I couldn't stand it. It's a "reality" show, not a boating programme, so it's only interested in what they see as the "journey" of their subjects, not the journey of the boat. You'd have thought they'd have learnt something from the success of Canalboat Diaries, or even Great Canal Journeys, but this isn't the same kind of thing.

I thought she was overlooking several factors when ordering a standard sofa and a standard ( king size ?) bed.

Narrow boat furniture needs to double up as storage. How many of us have our favourite spanners...spare ropes....water pump bits ...assorted emergency stuff that we never use but need.....under the sofa and bed ?

I also notice that miss Fancy pants was starting to look a bit scruffy after a month aboard. 

Another few months....and she'll look as decrepit as the rest of us. 

😃 😀 😄 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I thought she was overlooking several factors when ordering a standard sofa and a standard ( king size ?) bed.

Narrow boat furniture needs to double up as storage. How many of us have our favourite spanners...spare ropes....water pump bits ...assorted emergency stuff that we never use but need.....under the sofa and bed ?

I also notice that miss Fancy pants was starting to look a bit scruffy after a month aboard. 

Another few months....and she'll look as decrepit as the rest of us. 

😃 😀 😄 

Not seen past the first but hopefully she will also be one of us. She is not the first to order stuff that wont go through the door, or even out when its been installed during fitout 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

She is not the first to order stuff that wont go through the door, or even out when its been installed during fitout 

Try getting a JP3 out when the boat has been built round it😱

I think it's the relentless jolly plinkety plonk background music that really does my head in. It's like beaing beaten round the head with a club that's got "this is fun, isn't it" stamped on the side.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

I had the immense pleasure of meeting Warren, the operator of the pump-out boat within our first week of owning our boat, as we were heading north on the GU. Shared many locks with him over a good days cruise. Very cheerful dude and gave us lots of tips for handling our boat. 

• Greenie 1