Zebo Stove Polish

Featured Posts

I have used Zebo Grate Polish for years, to blacken and polish the cast iron bases of Traditional Victorian Oil lamps. I still have an almost full tube in my workshop cupboard. Before Zebo, I used it's predecessor, Zebrite Grate Polish.  I can still remember when the name changed some time around 2000 and, apparently, a long time before that it was called Zebra, having been originally inintroduced in the 1890's.  Zebo has not been available for a number of years, but the HotSpot polish packaging seems to be a fair attempt to relate to Zebo, whether it is as good, I have no idea. Fortunately, I still have enough Zebo to out last me, (he said smugly).

Edited to Add :-  I have just looked at an advertisement for Hotspot Grate Polish, and it is apparently Water Base.

This makes it different from Zebo, which is described on the box, as "Inflamable"

Edited by David Schweizer

I just repaint my stove once every 5 years or so and it looks fine in mat black. I see no need to polish it. What's the point exactly? Shiny stove? Each to their own I guess, whatever you're into. It seems a tad unnecessary to me but then I don't spend my time polishing brass either.

But you don't need to keep polishing it. It goes on as a protective layer and then you leave it alone. The 'polishing' is just the application process to remove excess.  It's not especially shiny once finished and probably quicker and easier to apply than paint. Each to their own as you say.

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Hob Bright for electric solid cast iron hobs works fine and is easy as it is in a loaded foam pad.

I could only find it for ceramic, Halogen and induction hobs, a glass cleaner 

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

This makes it different from Zebo, which is described on the box, as "Inflamable"

I remember having a protracted and bad tempered argument with someone (probably on here) long ago, who insisted inflammable meant the opposite of flammable, i.e. inflammable means will not burn. 

I could their reasoning, even though it was wrong.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I just repaint my stove once every 5 years or so and it looks fine in mat black. I see no need to polish it. What's the point exactly? Shiny stove? Each to their own I guess, whatever you're into. It seems a tad unnecessary to me but then I don't spend my time polishing brass either.IMG-20240419-WA0001.jpg.b4253f5552f767a3c99a8c87a23ed7b8.jpgIMG-20240419-WA0003.jpg.101434ba45d6e60f692a260bb0e9b134.jpg

Before and after using Stove Polish 

IMG-20240419-WA0001.jpg.097b277b67ef98379b05a3fbb0d60588.jpgIMG-20240419-WA0003.jpg.e2168393f19c0f6ea27e1337f500905d.jpg

Edited by Naartjie - Duck Hatch
  • Greenie 3

17 hours ago, MtB said:

I remember having a protracted and bad tempered argument with someone (probably on here) long ago, who insisted inflammable meant the opposite of flammable, i.e. inflammable means will not burn. 

I could their reasoning, even though it was wrong.

It's one of those words where common usage is altering the definition. The original definition of being easy to ignite is covered by "flammable" (and is usually the preferred word now to avoid confusion) and "inflammable" is changing to mean the opposite these days. The joys of language!