Roof paint

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

The roof of this old boat bugs me every time I look, and so it will be the first thing I paint on the outside of the boat, I have considered many colours, but keep returning to red, even though I know that reds always fade, but I suddenly also thought of something else, isn't there a non slip paint, you know the one which goes on looking like sand paper, I do realise that one trick is to cast sand onto the still wet paint, then brush the residue off. I need some advise please, and it must be RED

Dont use sand.

Buy a pack of non slip granules and follow the directions.

I put first topcoat on then final topcoat on before it has fully cured, (read directions) and the granules are mixed with the second coat, stir frequently.

I use 4 " rollers plus a 2 inch brush.

If you have to leave first topcoat too long you need to sand it before the second coat.

I do my gunwales this way, its not an expensive additive.

There is somethibg called raddle red traditionally used on boat roofs.

Edited by LadyG

Dulux Weatherseal is often recommended as well 

2 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Many people use Floor Paint - with or without the sand / granules, and it comes in Red!

We're picking up 'Red Wharf' from John the Paint at Stourbridge next week.

He said he won't put sand on a boat roof as the weight makes the boat too top heavy.

ETA Just to add, we wouldn't have asked for a sanded roof. Non-slip for us.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

Oh dear...

Dont use sand.

nothing wrong with using sand so long as it is dried in an oven and paint stirred regularly whilst using it.

Buy a pack of non slip granules and follow the directions.

international do a nice fine granule pack.Again, mix thoroughly (power drill and paddle recommended, and stir whilst using.

20240331_185021.jpg.35c8c9ba51623464dcd160f2cd17e2dd.jpg

I put first topcoat on then final topcoat on before it has fully cured, (read directions) and the granules are mixed with the second coat, stir frequently.

I would do 2 topcoats and and a final no slip coat....the roof takes all the weather abuse.

I use 4 " rollers plus a 2 inch brush.

If you have to leave first topcoat too long you need to sand it before the second coat.

you only need to key the top coat, sanding removes too much paint.

I do my gunwales this way, its not an expensive additive.

There is somethibg called raddle red traditionally used on boat roofs.

nothing traditional about it, Phil Speight invented it to fit in with the Craftsmaster range as a non-porous matt finish topcoat alternative to Red Oxide.

Edited by matty40s
  • Happy 1

57 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Dulux Weatherseal is often recommended as well 

Just been using some of that (Weathershield) today; for exterior wood and metal, quick dry satin.

It's a no-thin paint, quite thick. It does dry quickly, which is good for painting outdoors, but difficult to get brush marks out.

There are a number of non-slip deck paints pre-mixed with aggregate but very few which are easy for the DIYer to apply that will give an even finish. The only one I've used is International Interdeck. Unfortunately colours are limited and I don't think it comes in red so your next best option are the sachets of International non-slip additive which are ridiculously expensive for tiny sachets, but it does mix well and will go on evenly.

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/International/Interdeck-Non-Slip-Additive/BUA

Edited by blackrose

Craftmaster do Raddle red deck paint pre mixed and available from a few chandlers. 

https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/C5CM-ASRR-1L&Locale=en_GB

it has to be the yellow labeled one, the satin raddle red purple colour label is too slippery unless you add sand as Matty mentions. 

Red has less glare when cruising in sunny days. Raddle being rather matt has barely any glare at all. Some will suggest white roof reflects light so gets less hot inside the boat in the Summer. I’m not sure as the roof is insulated anyway against heat loss and presumably heat gain. 

I painted my roof with white grey  matt finish, it was a tad glary for a week or so, but has settled down with local pollution.

The cabin sides are a similar colour,.

i thibk the boat does keep cooler, but i can close the curtains and have them lined with insulated fabric, which makes a big difference. 

4 minutes ago, Janey M said:

Is the advice against sand just that it makes roof too heavy - so fine for gunwales? Does anti-slip paint mean less slip than sand?

The weight thing is a joke I think - it'll be negligible compared to a few mm of steel.

I've seen sand-added surfaces that have broken up and started peeling fairly early. Probably can work fine but there are more variables than with plastic granules or premixed anti-slip paint - needs to be the right type and size of sand, perfectly dry without clumping, not contaminated by salt/dust, etc.

14 minutes ago, Janey M said:

Is the advice against sand just that it makes roof too heavy - so fine for gunwales? Does anti-slip paint mean less slip than sand?

The too heavy thing’s a joke(should of added that comment this morning) as the ones I’ve seen done by owners tend to be too thick and uneven and eventually going more like concrete when trying to remove.

Why mix sand and go through trying to get it the right consistency when you can buy products that work straight from the tin🤔

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

27 minutes ago, Janey M said:

11 minutes ago, Janey M said:

Thanks @Francis Herne and @BoatinglifeupNorth - I couldn’t work out whether sand would do that, particularly when the point of it would be to enable you to walk on the roof more easily...but sounds like sand can be tricky.

As I said there’s enough pre mixed non-slip paints on the market that do the job, unless you want a heavy gritted roof that rips your skin off when you touch it.

The heavy thing’s a wind up, go and put a couple of bags of coal on your roof and see if it makes your boat top heavy😂 he probably ment too heavy with regards to texture??

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

18 minutes ago, Janey M said:

I couldn’t work out whether sand would do that, particularly when the point of it would be to enable you to walk on the roof more easily...but sounds like sand can be tricky.

Think carefully about the area you want to make 'non-slip'.

Any stippled surface will hold dirt and require regular cleaning with a stiff brush. Leave it a week or two (particularly in cool damp weather and it'll start to go 'green'.

There are many non-slip paints available 'ready to use' and in differing grades of non-slip.

I used a "Hempel light Grey 19500 Non-Slip deck coating complete with granules"  (It was about £22.14 for a 750ml tin) on my side walk-ways and across the forecabin roof

Coverage 9.2 sq mts per litre. 2 coats recommended.

image.thumb.jpeg.e95ef0afb9258a3d2c8e4e9599f43fb4.jpeg

It comes in 2 grades (coarse and fine - I used 'fine')

image.thumb.jpeg.99f4037016b7e24cbd74e9acf1eb850a.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

44 minutes ago, Janey M said:

When we took the boat to John the Paint to discuss what we wanted he was adamant he would never put sand on a boat roof as the extra weight would make a boat too top heavy.

No problem for us as we are fine with a non-slip finish.

(And I would argue that he knows what he is talking about when it comes to boat painting)

ETA Top heavy and potentially unstable. Especially when the roof might be used to store bags of coal etc.

Edited by Victor Vectis

11 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

When we took the boat to John the Paint to discuss what we wanted he was adamant he would never put sand on a boat roof as the extra weight would make a boat too top heavy.

No problem for us as we are fine with a non-slip finish.

(And I would argue that he knows what he is talking about when it comes to boat painting)

ETA Top heavy and potentially unstable. Especially when the roof might be used to store bags of coal etc.

Bags of coal and a garden

26 minutes ago, Manxcat54 said:

Bags of coal and a garden

And a 2ft deep sand pit by the sound of it, too heavy? “How much sand did you use?”  As the kids built a sand castle and the Donkey rides trotted by just missing the mushroom vents🏖

Maybe be was politely saying he didn’t want to do it😂

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Janey M said:

Is the advice against sand just that it makes roof too heavy - so fine for gunwales? 

You have to do both gunwales on the same day, or risk the boat rolling over and over.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You have to do both gunwales on the same day, or risk the boat rolling over and over.

I think I could sort that by suspending a cat with butter on the bottom of its paws on the other side whilst it was drying.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

The weight thing is a joke I think - it'll be negligible compared to a few mm of steel.

Anyway, you can avoid top weight and get the job done much quicker and cheaper by applying the sandy paint to the soles of yer clogs instead...