Baton Twirlers Stage Protest (again)

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, cheesegas said:

Besides, I think the people who flaunt the rules by staying in one place for too long etc know perfectly well of the rules and choose to ignore them...a little pamphlet isn't going to make a difference.

The little pamphlet would have given CRT the first points in the battles with the Lee Anderson, JonathanGulis types who are coming to the waterways and saying after 6 months, .

"I didn't know, nobody told me, why should I?"

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The little pamphlet would have given CRT the first points in the battles with the Lee Anderson, JonathanGulis types who are coming to the waterways and saying after 6 months, .

Just add the cost of it onto the licence fee, or make it a fee for first application.

7 hours ago, Peanut said:

Just add the cost of it onto the licence fee, or make it a fee for first application.

Forgive the pun, but compared to the cost of enforcement , the pamphlet cost would be peanuts.

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

To be honest I've only heard of people not knowing the rules twice. Most people are fully aware of the rules and those who overstay are also aware and try to get around them; as someone who's worked on boats, I've been asked many many times 'what's a serious breakdown I can tell to the CRT so I can overstay here for a few weeks, I like it here'.

The info is out there and I think the vast majority of people have read it, or make a Facebook post etc about buying a boat and are pointed towards it.

Edited by cheesegas
  • Greenie 1

Is this not the cause of the change a few years ago, where current licences ceased to be transferrable to a new owner when a boat is sold? Boaters claiming not to be subject to the rules because they have not signed anything agreeing to them? 

CRT now cancel a currnet licence and issue a refund on transfer of ownership, in order to force the new owner to agree to the T&Cs from the get-go, when purchasing their own new licence AIUI. 

No need for booklets or whatever now. 

• Greenie 2

23 hours ago, cheesegas said:

Totally - I agree that there’s a lot of people who just hover around the same area simply because it’s cheap, and don’t let anyone else have that spot. However, it’s not just scruffy boats who do that, plenty of new widebeams are at it as well for example! Walthamstow Marshes in London is notorious for that behaviour. I also echo your thoughts on the NBTA, I’ve joined their zoom meetings out of interest and it’s like a student politics club, only more angsty and with less direction and meaning. 

I’ve got a lot of snootiness from shiny boaters over the past couple of years when I chat to them at locks etc and mention I don’t have a home mooring. ‘You’re one of them’…‘trying to avoid tax eh’ and so on. I did some of the Oxford loop last summer and it seemed especially bad - my boat is a little scruffy and could do with a repaint at some point as it’s fading, and I have a tarp on the roof covering the inevitable two bags of coal I didn’t use over winter! Unmistakably liveaboard, along with the solar panels. 

Strange, I always talk to all boaters, and say hello as I pass and am really envious of people like you and @beerbeerbeerbeerbeer who genuinely continuously cruise but recently have found a kind of "reverse snobbism" from some of the bridge hoppers, where they deliberately ignore you because you are "not one of them".

Pity really, because I have had great pleasure from canalling over the last 50 years, but don't want to see it come to an end or some canals closed because too many people are not prepared to pay their share to keep it properly maintained.

• Greenie 4

54 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Pity really, because I have had great pleasure from canalling over the last 50 years, but don't want to see it come to an end or some canals closed because too many people are not prepared to pay their share to keep it properly maintained.

Its 'chicken and egg' territory though isn't it. There are "too many people" because CRT/BW have kept licence fees artificially low and relied on govt handouts which are now stopping. In the meantime through patchy to non-existent enforcement they have allowed the canals to be over-run with cheap-homers whose only interest is low running costs. Some of them with £1/4m widebeams but many with £20k sinkers that get no maintenance from one decade to the next.

Had licence costs for the last 40 years genuinely reflected the cost of running the system, we probably would not be where we are now. 

• Greenie 4

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its 'chicken and egg' territory though isn't it. There are "too many people" because CRT/BW have kept licence fees artificially low and relied on govt handouts which are now stopping. In the meantime through patchy to non-existent enforcement they have allowed the canals to be over-run with cheap-homers whose only interest is low running costs. Some of them with £1/4m widebeams but many with £20k sinkers that get no maintenance from one decade to the next.

Had licence costs for the last 40 years genuinely reflected the cost of running the system, we probably would not be where we are now. 

If license costs reflected the cost of running the system, there would be no boats and no system.

If the thing is supposed to be a resource for the general public, walkers, cyclists, fishermen, leisure boaters, hirers,, then it should be publicly funded. It's not been a commercial waterway for a century.

Bit like the water industry, really. Trying to run it is a private concern when it's meant to be a utility is to guarantee failure. It can't be both.

• Greenie 4

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If license costs reflected the cost of running the system, there would be no boats and no system.

If the thing is supposed to be a resource for the general public, walkers, cyclists, fishermen, leisure boaters, hirers,, then it should be publicly funded. It's not been a commercial waterway for a century.

Bit like the water industry, really. Trying to run it is a private concern when it's meant to be a utility is to guarantee failure. It can't be both.

Ah yes, public funding. AKA print the money. 

And economists know exactly where THAT leads! 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's no way that license fees -- direct to CART and indirect via marina fee slicing and commercial licenses -- can pay 100% of the cost of running the canals, and neither should they given the other sources of CART income including property, water extractions and the DEFRA grant, and the use of the canals as a resource by non-boaters.

But it's clear that they are artificially low, and -- even after the recent changes, which will take 5 years to come into effect -- are not graduated enough, the differences between different types of boats and boaters are too small, and there is insufficient enforcement of the rules about moorings, especially overstaying CMers.

Just like the current tax system this has been to the detriment of less well-off boaters with smaller older cheaper boats and to the advantage of better-off boaters with bigger newer more expensive ones, and also has favoured those who bend (or break) the rules to their own advantage (cheap living) while effectively penalising those who follow the rules.

It's also clear that the reduction of the government grant in real terms in recent years and even more so in the future is going to have a severe impact, and doesn't even make sense given their stated view of the canals as a "national treasure" or part of the national infrastructure -- but it's just another example of Tory privatisation-by-stealth, anything to get stuff to disappear off the government books and make it Somebody Else's Problem -- in this case CART, who can do very little about it.

The result of all this has been an ever-increasing maintenance backlog combined with more and more money spent on emergency repairs, more stoppages making it difficult for boaters to actually use the canals for -- well, boating, and a system parts of which are increasingly clogged up with CMers to the point of being well-nigh inaccessible to boaters who actually boat.

The problem is that the two things which would fix these problems -- restoration of the central grant (in real terms) to at least what it was when CART was formed, and a significant and rapid increase in license fees with more graduation (bigger and faster than CART have proposed, with a bigger surcharge for wideboats and CCers to discourage CMers) -- are being blocked, the first by the government and the second by the boaters who would be worse off as a result, including the NBTA... 😞 

• Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Ah yes, public funding. AKA print the money. 

And economists know exactly where THAT leads! 

It's by and large a public facility. 

The towpath I'm on can best be described as a bog. Churned up by bikes and walkers.

Edited by Higgs

59 minutes ago, IanD said:

surcharge for wideboats and CCers to discourage CMers)

Someone needs to help me with the logic here. How does increasing the cost to CC'ers somehow work to discourage CM'ers? I thought the only premise of the increase was that CC'ers used the system more.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Putting a big surcharge on CC'ers in order to deter CM'ers is a really bad and unfair way to solve the CM'er/cheap housing problem. CC'ers, often older retired people with a real interest in the canals, are an essential part of the canal community.

Yes I know -- but still they're paying less for their use of the canals than HMers are, so I think some surcharge is fair, the existing 25% is easy to justify from this point of view.

I did suggest the way to fix this -- which is also more redistributive -- is to also make the license fee a function of boat age, so those with shiny new expensive boats pay more and those with old cheap boats pay less. Easy to administer, but no doubt would cause howls of anguish from many (not me!) who would pay more as a result. Something like a 2:1 variation with boat age would solve that particular problem, for example new boats might pay 40% more and old ones 30% less without affecting the total license fee take for CART.

Then a bigger CC surcharge (e.g. 40%) would put the older retired boaters back to where they were before it was introduced), but with more income for CART from new shiny boaters who would be paying double what the oldies pay (100% more than before the CC surcharge).

The numbers could be changed to alter either what oldies pay or newbies pay but the principle is clear, link the license fee to boat age which is a reasonable proxy for boat value.

The trouble with any change like this is that the people who have to pay more make a big fuss, and the people who pay less don't, so it's difficult to push through... 😞 

8 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Someone needs to help me with the logic here. How does increasing the cost to CC'ers somehow work to discourage CM'ers.

It doesn't make any difference as folks who are going to overstay will do so anyway.

Perhaps could be said  the CC'ers and wide beams should be given enhanced rights and  priority as they are paying more for their license

Edited by Momac
  • Happy 1

22 minutes ago, Momac said:

It doesn't make any difference as folks who are going to overstay will do so anyway.

Perhaps could be said  the CC'ers and wide beams should be given enhanced rights and  priority as they are paying more 

That's precisely what I think.

Anyway, I've worked out how much CRT will cost over the coming year = £0.00. I'm having the boat hauled out, to work on it and do other things with my time. 

Edited by Higgs

29 minutes ago, Momac said:

Perhaps could be said  the CC'ers and wide beams should be given enhanced rights and  priority as they are paying more for their license

It does make a difference because it puts the cost of living on the cut up for the CMers, which must reduce the numbers doing it since they're in it for the cheap housing.

CCers and widebeam owners are paying more to get more money for CART; they don't get any extra privileges any more than people paying more tax do.

12 minutes ago, IanD said:

It does make a difference because it puts the cost of living on the cut up for the CMers, which must reduce the numbers doing it since they're in it for the cheap housing.

CCers and widebeam owners are paying more to get more money for CART; they don't get any extra privileges any more than people paying more tax do.

I know you won't see this, but...

Your rationale is that CM'ers will decide to leave the canal. Because, IMO, increasing the cost does not impose altered habits on people, it increases the cost. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Because, IMO, increasing the cost does not impose altered habits on people, it increases the cost. 

The only quick example that came to mind for me was minimum alcohol pricing - which when introduced, I expected to not considerably reduce drinking among problem drinkers, just make them more poor. The truth, as always, lies somewhere in-between. Reduced deaths caused by alcohol by 13.4% and related hospital admissions by 4.1% [1]. Of course, those addicted (which we can use as a vague analogy to those on the system that are not in a position to change their circumstances) cannot stop and will simply pay more and end up poorer.

[1] - https://www.bmj.com/content/381/bmj.p1477.full

40 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I know you won't see this, but...

Your rationale is that CM'ers will decide to leave the canal. Because, IMO, increasing the cost does not impose altered habits on people, it increases the cost. 

I will quote your post so she can see it.............Oh, hang on a minute 😂

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will quote your post so she can see it.............Oh, hang on a minute 😂

Yep. You're blocked (ignored) (solipsism) too. I think. ??

Edited by Higgs

51 minutes ago, IanD said:

I agree they don't have any privileges  legally but they might claim that they have privileges morally  because they  pay a higher license fee.