Between Stoke Bruerne Lock 20 and Cosgrove Lock 21 - Grand Union Canal

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are looking to navigate this stretch this coming weekend. CRT says - 

Navigation between Stoke Bruerne Lock 20 and Cosgrove Lock 21 is now possible with care. Please be aware of strong currents and an increase in water levels due to adverse weather. 

Anything in particular we should be aware of? I assume it would not be sensible to moor up here overnight?

The River Tove runs in from the right about 100m below Stoke B bottom lock.  It runs out again over a series of big brick weirs on the left  after the lock landing/ services moorings.  The last one is near the next bridge.  Beware of the cross current. Mooring on the services should be fine, but you are in the SB  mooring zone, so read the signs  ( if they are not underwater🙂) .

Assuming it is not forecast to rain heavily again:

After the weirs it should be OK to Cosgrove, though there is another weir on the left approaching Cosgrove which may have a pull.  Depending on water levels you may be able to moor in the usual spots, but I would put good and extra pins in if doing that.  The rings in Cosgrove itself (from the fancy bridge to the services)  should be OK if the level is not too high. 

At least if the water is up the wide but shallow bit near the Castlethorpe marina should be easier.

In last years floods, there were a couple of boats sunk as the pound level rose above the towpath, one in Cosgrove!!

Coming out of SB bottom lock is fun when it's really up, you can get some serious speed on the first half mile.

We are probably going that way, and arent worried.

There used to be a Bond Bug beside a Boat on the moorings in the river Tove just below the bottom lock. I rather like the brick flood weir just further down there under the towpath. 

It looks like a miniature viaduct. A very nice bit of work. 

Not been that way since 2009 

26 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It looks like a miniature viaduct. A very nice bit of work. 

Not been that way since 2009 

The dog rolled in fox poo there, shampooed him wit Head and Shoulders, it was the best we had onboard

Grafton Regis..

Water at or over towpath all the way to Kingfisher marina

Canal flow at Thrupp is about 1mph.

Sorry to all those boats I passed at well over tickover, unfortunately, I needed oomph to steer.

20240329_140608.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Grafton Regis..

Water at or over towpath all the way to Kingfisher marina

Canal flow at Thrupp is about 1mph.

Sorry to all those boats I passed at well over tickover, unfortunately, I needed oomph to steer.

20240329_140608.jpg

Its a shame, a tidy looking boat and someone will be very unhappy -  but - a good reminder for others that they should learn how to moor properly, consider the weather forecast and investigate if there is history of flooding where they plan to moor.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its a shame, a tidy looking boat and someone will be very unhappy -  but - a good reminder for others that they should learn how to moor properly, consider the weather forecast and investigate if there is history of flooding where they plan to moor.

You can see how he has tied, down with short tight ropes to the piling...which is well underwater. 

20240329_174704.jpg

There was zero chance of doing tickover past boats today, with strong flow and cross wind.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You can see how he has tied, down with short tight ropes to the piling...which is well underwater.

I'd guessed that was how they'd tied up. But spring-lines would have worked even when tied below the water line.

I'm sure pins would have pulled out with the buoyancy of the boat lifting.

Still a lot of water in the fields this morning, but the Tove is back within its banks and the canal dropped 6" overnight. with flow stopped ..which made getting off the bank quite interesting this morning.

Worth it though.

20240330_091018.jpg

On 30/03/2024 at 07:56, Alan de Enfield said:

Well did you go, or stay elesewhere until the levels subside ?

Yes we did, we noticed no flow at all. To be honest had we gone without any research we would never have realised the river was flowing into the canal!

On 29/03/2024 at 17:48, matty40s said:

20240329_174704.jpg

There was zero chance of doing tickover past boats today, with strong flow and cross wind.

Thanks for leading the way for us Matty!

Definitely sporting conditions!

We came back through on Saturday after mooring for the night just after Kingfisher marina. Totally different experience. I reckon the level dropped over a foot overnight and the lock landing was clear. I wonder how many times that WB moored opposite the Tove got clobbered that day!!

Tove.jpg

• Happy 1

Ah, it was you....you do get a glimpse of Dougal at the end of the video.😀

Just passing Dougal now!!

Weve got (some of) the grandkids tommorow.

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, it was you....you do get a glimpse of Dougal at the end of the video.😀

Just passing Dougal now!!

Weve got (some of) the grandkids tommorow.

Saw us

Enjoyed that. Definitely a character building experience!