If you think you are too old to go boating...

BilgePump

Featured Posts

remember that Frank Rothwell (73) is about to complete his second solo transatlantic row in three years, beating his own 2021 record for the oldest rower. He established Manchester Cabins, which sponsored the Ocean Youth Club, and in recent years he took over ownership of Oldham Athletic. I do hope he's been wearing his trademark flat cap on the crossing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68307134

2 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Quite an achievement, but he didn't have to get on and off the boat and deal with stiff lock gates or swing bridges!

And think of all the stoppages he avoided! Bet no one asks him if he has pumpout, cassette or composting loo on board!

3 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

And think of all the stoppages he avoided! Bet no one asks him if he has pumpout, cassette or composting loo on board!

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Or a weed hatch to get the stuff off 

I wonder if his toilet is what he calls his 'weed' hatch ?

12 minutes ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

You don't stop boating when you get old.

You get old when you stop boating.

I can think of at least three people over the years who passed away enjoying themselves on the water, right to the end. They just didn't know it was the last day. All late 70s to 80s, sudden, natural causes, when they were out on their boats. One sailing in the Irish sea, one at anchor fishing in the med and one just at anchor for the night on the river here. Always seems a better way to go than many others.

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder if his toilet is what he calls his 'weed' hatch ?

Don't call it a 'weed' hatch over in the Caribbean. They'll think he's going to stuff it full of the finest and row back over. Mind you, the OAFC players could get a nice bonus.

I'll be 70 next year, bought another boat recently so I have grp near home, metal narrowboat 30 odd miles away.

I could do a boat/marina swop but now I'm "flying solo" a narrowboat single handed is hard work.

Still thinking what's for the best...or even liveaboard.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

I can think of at least three people over the years who passed away enjoying themselves on the water, right to the end. They just didn't know it was the last day. All late 70s to 80s, sudden, natural causes, when they were out on their boats. One sailing in the Irish sea, one at anchor fishing in the med and one just at anchor for the night on the river here. Always seems a better way to go than many others.

Our mate died with us on the boat two years come 29th April.  He was a mere boy of 72.

• Sad 1

A very interesting chap. He gave a talk  that I attended  a couple of years ago, he started as a truck driver for a haulage firm and built up the Manchester Cabins firm later. Have a look at his steam powered Land Rover   and interesting things in his garden! A worthy successor to Fred Dibnah with an infectious laugh😃

• Greenie 2

There arevmire than a few elderly boaters around. 

George and Ruby Stoddart-Stones were boating into their late 80's and early 90's with Wyton.

ISTR that Jim MacDonald's parents werec still boating significant distances in their 80's.

N

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Jerra said:

Our mate died with us on the boat two years come 29th April.  He was a mere boy of 72.

My birthday. 50 this yar. 

And 30 yars living on Boats come 4th April. 

Long may it continue. 

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Appy birthfay for April.

25 years for us last week.Same boat.

Cor thats good ! 

I have lived on 8 different Boats. 

Finally got the right two now no need to change again. 

• Happy 1

We are both knocking on the door of 71. We are leaving where we have been moored for the past 15 months. All of our lock wheeling muscles seem to have gone elsewhere. I suppose they will reappear once we’re on our way.

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

There arevmire than a few elderly boaters around. 

George and Ruby Stoddart-Stones were boating into their late 80's and early 90's with Wyton.

ISTR that Jim MacDonald's parents werec still boating significant distances in their 80's.

N

It's George we have to thank (or otherwise) for BW allowing continuous cruising. He was refused a license because he didn't have a mooring. He told them that when he went abroad he put his boat into a marina and paid them his dues. BW thought it was only dossers who continuously cruised. George definitely couldn't be described as a dosser. He always wore a tie and Harris tweed jacket. An officer and gentleman to the last.