posting pictures

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Manxcat54 said:

I still cannot post pictures on the forum, all my photos are over 2.93 kb how do i go about it. thanks for your help

For me I just do a screenshot of the picture and post that. 👍

• Greenie 2

There are a few solutions. Can open it in Paint or Paint3D or similar and save it as a jpg. With a bit of luck it will compress it below the limit. 

Alternatively you can use a third party image compressor website. Essentially you upload the original photo, it then compresses it and lets you download the compressed version which you can then upload here. The website linked below lets you do this

https://imagecompressor.com/

The other alternative is to use a third party image host. However, these have a tendency to disappear after time so I wouldn't recommend this. 

43 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

For me I just do a screenshot of the picture and post that. 👍

Easily the easiest way IMHO.

I used faff about with image re sizing programs but this is the easiest way.

2 hours ago, Manxcat54 said:

I still cannot post pictures on the forum, all my photos are over 2.93 kb how do i go about it. thanks for your help

2.93kb is tiny.

Am I the only one that doesn't have any problem posting photos taken on my phone without having to reduce the file size or post a screenshot?

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

2.93kb is tiny.

Am I the only one that doesn't have any problem posting photos taken on my phone without having to reduce the file size or post a screenshot?

Depends on your phone.

Pictures taken on my current Pixel 7a won't and the previous 6a wouldn't upload. But if I screenshot the image they upload no problem.

3 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Test. 3.8mb image from my phone camera. 

Weird given the forum gives this, when you upload.

Screenshot_20240208-203454.png

31 minutes ago, MJG said:

Weird given the forum gives this, when you upload.

Screenshot_20240208-203454.png

If you could kindly try again, it should say 3.00MB. Ideally Invision should have some kind of automatic image compression feature but unfortunately it does not. Will look into this further. 

Just now, David Mack said:

That's not what I get:Screenshot_20240208-213530_SamsungInternet.jpg.ed6ebed15e28b07c991d9e3aacf87c1e.jpg

That's weird. So some members have a huge image posting limit and others much less.

I find most pics are 300 dpi, using whatever graphics package you use reduce the dpi to 75, this reduces the size enough usually.   75 dpi is (or used to be) the maximum Dpi needed for web work.

P.S.  I think they may now call dpi ppi

9 hours ago, MJG said:

That's weird. So some members have a huge image posting limit and others much less.

That is wierd as I’m the same at 3 MB too.

Almost all my pictures are in the 4-6Mb so I use imagesize app. I can’t have donated enough to the forums coffers. 

The only way I can post several pics is to place the next image into the reply to my post and the pictures automatically merge. It means my original post or image has to be boring enough for no one to reply quickly else the two won’t link. 

This is the only bit I find easy. 

On 09/02/2024 at 06:48, Stroudwater1 said:

That is wierd as I’m the same at 3 MB too.

Almost all my pictures are in the 4-6Mb so I use imagesize app. I can’t have donated enough to the forums coffers. 

The only way I can post several pics is to place the next image into the reply to my post and the pictures automatically merge. It means my original post or image has to be boring enough for no one to reply quickly else the two won’t link. 

This is the only bit I find easy. 

I'm on 3MB too, which can be annoying since it means almost every picture has to be resized or screen snapshotted to get under this limit -- it can also restrict document uploads, which some might say is A Good Thing... 😉

Can a moderator comment on what's going on here if different people seem to have different size upload limits?

Edited by IanD

The limit has been adjusted to 4MB but we'd still encourage members to optimise files where possible. 

The reason for the discrepancy is because some members are in different permission "groups", some of which are defunct but kept in place in case we need them in future. However, I've gone through them all and they should now be consistent. 

Note some were simply mixing up their units which may have added to the confusion. Though there were none that were previously set below 3000kB

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine always quoted 2.9mB

It is because there is 1024kB in a megabyte if we're going to be precise. The previous limit was set to 3000kB on the backend hence it showed 2.9MB on the frontend. 

Regardless, I have changed it now so it should show as 4 MB exactly for all. 

• Greenie 3