Water heating

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Manxcat54 said:

What other ways are there for hot water on a boat apart from a calorific.

Thanks

That is calorifier.

An instant gas water heater colloquially known as an Ascot, but more probably actually a Paloma.

Gas or diesel boilers can provide domestic hot water via the calorifier.

If on a shore line then an electric immersion heater.

Calorifier can of course be heated by 3 sources (at least), the engine - which is "free", an electric immersion heater (if you have shore power or a genny) or by whatever you use for central heating (diesel, gas or solid fuel stove). Instant gas water heater is a solution that doesn't require any electricity or engine running or diesel,  and you only heat what you need, but the downside is a fairly slow flow rate making winter showers a bit miserable.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Calorifier can of course be heated by 3 sources (at least), the engine - which is "free", an electric immersion heater (if you have shore power or a genny) or by whatever you use for central heating (diesel, gas or solid fuel stove). Instant gas water heater is a solution that doesn't require any electricity or engine running or diesel,  and you only heat what you need, but the downside is a fairly slow flow rate making winter showers a bit miserable.

Gas water heaters are also expensive to run if you use a lot of hot water, and gas heating boilers even more so...

• Haha 1

plenty of bollards on this forum... 

i suppose solar heating could be an option either direct solar water or via solar PV/immersion but obviously only any good on one of those rare hot summers days and therefore not the primary/only water heating method...   

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

plenty of bollards on this forum... 

i suppose solar heating could be an option either direct solar water or via solar PV/immersion but obviously only any good on one of those rare hot summers days and therefore not the primary/only water heating method...   

Solar thermal for the last sixteen years, heating the calorifier. Good for most days from end of March to start of October, unless it is chucking it down with rain. Stove back boiler to the cauliflower over winter. A couple of weeks around the spring and autumn equinox, when the sun is relatively low in the sky, but not cold enough for the stove.

• Happy 1

39 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Solar thermal for the last sixteen years, heating the calorifier. G

But still involves a calorifier which the OP doesn't want

39 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Solar thermal for the last sixteen years, heating the calorifier. G

But still involves a calorifier which the OP doesn't want. Its a pity @Manxcat54 doesn't tell us what they are trying to achieve or what they are considering.

Edited by ditchcrawler

When I got my fire made we put a 1 inch stainless steel tube through the firebox as a boiler. provided the water moves at the correct rate this will work as a boiler for radiator or hot water. 

It has occurred to me that one could probably run fresh cold water directly through it and tap it off via a thermostatic mixer valve. It would need an open vent through the top of the cabin and circulation would need to start before lighting the fire. 

I think it could work as a wood fired instantaneous water heater. Because it is a pipe it sits unused with no problems so when you don't need it you just leave it empty. 

One could route cold water back to the main water tank and any heated water either to a storage tank or direct to the shower. 

there must be calculations which can be done about energy transfer and fluid flow speed. K type thermometer in the back of the fire would be good. 

Edited by magnetman

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not sure he actually said he doesn't want one. But worth considering that a calorifier, however it is heated, is a store of hot water ready for use. The alternative will involve heating the water as you use it. And that usually involves an instantaneous gas water heater (e.g. Morco, Paloma), or just use of a kettle. Instantaneous gas water heaters have a limited heating capacity with a tradeoff between temperature and flow rate. That might be OK supplying hot taps, but may also mean you have to choose between a shower that is powerful and one that is hot, especially in winter when the incoming water temperature is lower.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

agree with David Mack, I didn't read it like that, just what are the other ways. I suppose pedantically most of the suggestions apart from instantaneous gas heaters have been ways to heat a cauliflower rather than provide hot water directly.   

if he really doesn't want a cauliflower then its gas or electric, there are some around 2-3kw electric water heaters designed to supply modest amounts of hot water for hand washing and the like, so on a 'gas free' boat with a lots of battery capacity that could (just about) be an option.  

something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-undersink-water-heater-2kw-15ltr/9720g

arguably thats just another form of heat store. 

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

agree with David Mack, I didn't read it like that, just what are the other ways. I suppose pedantically most of the suggestions apart from instantaneous gas heaters have been ways to heat a cauliflower rather than provide hot water directly.   

if he really doesn't want a cauliflower then its gas or electric, there are some around 2-3kw electric water heaters designed to supply modest amounts of hot water for hand washing and the like, so on a 'gas free' boat with a lots of battery capacity that could (just about) be an option.  

something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-undersink-water-heater-2kw-15ltr/9720g

arguably thats just another form of heat store. 

As I said its a pity that @Manxcat54 does tell us what they have in mind as an end result and why.

• Happy 1