How do you lower humidity?

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We tried to stop breathing but it's just not practical. 

You're not trying hard enough!

Cooking and tea brewing is another big one for humidity. Not only the evaporated water from the pans/kettle, but from combustion of propane.

I'll second solid fuel stove. Fresh, low humidity air from the outside being continually drawn in to replace the humid air used by the stove and sent up the flue.

Speaking of outside air being drawn in, high and low level air vents make a big difference. My bathroom, through a series of unrelated decisions, ended up with two roof vents. It makes an excellent all year round laundry drying room.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not only the evaporated water from the pans/kettle, but from combustion of propane

Try telling Mrs Rusty that. She refuses to put lids on pans. Grrrrr. 

Though cooking on the squirrel helps reduce the Propane use. 

Edited by rusty69

Dogs are a big source of humidity as well. Have you got enough top ventilation.

There is book for houses all about it called "the warm dry home" by Peter Ward.

Explains all about the dew point

Dead spaces in cupboards, particularly in corners can allow cold air to linger, increasing the relative humidity inside and allowing it to wet out on surfaces. Air vents, lower and upper, as much as you can, help circulate air and increase the internal temperature.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

A pressure cooker is a great investment, saving fuel.

Steam is contained within the vessel, so you let it go outside!

There are segments for veg etc, so not only for casseroles, but if you read the recipe booklet, i believe it can be used for numerous things.

I have a solid fuel stove, it runs 24/7, I rarely get condenstation on the windows. 

I have a fan in the shower room, but that is the only place where damp air is generated. If its causing a major problem eg several people showering every day,  fill a 5l container with warm water with some shower gel, pouring this over your head will work OK, without creating steam. 

I just don't have this problem, it's a well insulated steel NB, with a back boiler which circulates warmth round the boat using fat copper pipes. I would anticipate problems with a GRP boat, they are going to be difficult to adapt, but I'd go for s f stove every time,  even If it is difficult to install. Alternatively find a mooring with shorepower for the winter months, living in a damp environment is unhealthy.

Edited by LadyG

59 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

So, in short, it's pretty much impossible to keep the humidity within the 'safe zone' of about 30-60%? 

Without knowing other peoples readings, its hard to say. For us, we could certainly improve our humidity levels, which in my opinion are a bit high.It would mean changing our lifestyle,not drying washing inside, getting a window vac for the shower, using the pressure cooker more often, maybe buying a dehumidifier etc etc and making certain improvements to the boat, and it would probably cost a lot more in heating too.

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A pressure cooker is a great investment, saving fuel.

Got one, though it isn't taken outside to remove the lid. See above.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

You can take over the cooking, it's not that difficult, there are books!

• Haha 1

We always found the diesel heater on our GRP boat did a great job of keeping the air dry and circulating the air to keep a fresh source of air in the boat.

Similarly the gas heater (works similar to the diesel heater with combustion moisture and gases vented outside) does the same job on the van. It's always warm and dry even on the coldest of nights and mornings.

5 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

So, in short, it's pretty much impossible to keep the humidity within the 'safe zone' of about 30-60%? 

Boats aren't usually sealed very well so if it's 80% humidity outside then it's pretty much going to be the same inside and by running your dehumidifier you're trying to reduce the humidity of the planet too.  As you've probably got enough ventilation it's going to be heat that's your friend and as others have said a stove is likely to be best.

I wouldn't worry too much about that safe zone.  It's going to be pretty much unobtainable on a boat anyway.

• Greenie 1

I agree heating with some ventilation is the way to go .

A dehumidifier (which I have in use now)  is , for me , more of a device to use while the boat is on shore power but vacated.

• Greenie 1

According to the calibrations on my hygrometer 38% to 70% is optimal humidity, just done some cooking so its up at 72% right now and although the temperature is OK I feel cold, dehumidifier going on, but Im in my house right now.

K