Vinly self adhesive tiles 1.1 sq m

LadyG

Featured Posts

20240113_101124.thumb.jpg.a32489e0fe5e211f087c726ddf280e4d.jpgHi, well I want some tiles to complete the galley refurb.

They are to stick on the cabin walls, and need to be thin to slip behind cabinetry.

So far been unable to find any that are plain, glossy and roughly metro size,  which have good reviews.

Also sizing is difficult, some even give the dimensions of the package! Some of their own calculations seem bizarre, which does not inspire confidence.

I am looking at Amazon and B&Q.

As they are expensive i have allowed only 10% extra.

Edited by LadyG

I would just paint it a complimentary  colour to whatever is going above. as sometimes you can use too much tiles, just paint up to the line with a nice piece of trim to separate what covering your putting above it.

Not impressed by your tiler for not putting a proper edging trim on the tiles to finish the tiles off, far better looking then a thick uneven line if silicone.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

20240113_101124.thumb.jpg.a32489e0fe5e211f087c726ddf280e4d.jpgHi, well I want some tiles to complete the galley refurb.

They are to stick on the cabin walls, and need to be thin to slip behind cabinetry.

So far been unable to find any that are plain, glossy and roughly metro size,  which have good reviews.

Also sizing is difficult, some even give the dimensions of the package! Some of their own calculations seem bizarre, which does not inspire confidence.

I am looking at Amazon and B&Q.

As they are expensive i have allowed only 10% extra.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Livelynine-Adhesive-Flooring-Bathroom-Waterproof/dp/B08QZC9MSP/ref=asc_df_B08QZC9MSP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=499398303979&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14591794335899425315&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046325&hvtargid=pla-1379509512880&psc=1&mcid=dd3b08f76c9b3bb3a159a35a3c1f2ea2

Surely the cabinet is too tight to the bulkhead and you do not have the option of using tiles. 

He is at fault or if you have instructed him properly then you are at fault 

I'm looking for what are termed self adhesive vinyl tiles as used for splashback.

Well, actually I'm looking for someone who has used them and found them satisfactory. Not flooring tiles, more glossy, they are the  d-c type, I'll try to copy.

The d-c-fix people make these, but some a no tougher than vinyl wallpaper., and are on a roll

d-c-fix

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, blu said:

I had them in my bathroom in an old flat. They were pretty good but yeah expensive if using a lot. 

These were the ones I used:
https://www.diy.com/departments/opp-slate-stone-effect-self-adhesive-vinyl-tile-pack-of-13/3663602563266_BQ.prd

No, those are floor tiles, the ones I want are the very latest technology [!], and are sort of hi tech, very arty.

Cost £40 to £75 sq m!

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

No, those are floor tiles, the ones I want are the very latest technology [!], and are sort of hi tech, very arty

But you say you want plain metro type, I think this would look odd as you say your only going to do the bit next to the cabinet door. What are you doing above and above the tiles?

1A73F4C8-22E6-4A1D-B003-C0688A76C5D3.jpeg.478c5d32981890c58a538b924ecb3619.jpeg

5 hours ago, Tonka said:

Surely the cabinet is too tight to the bulkhead and you do not have the option of using tiles. 

Looks like also not the best at tiling??

I would of left the bit cuts in the opposite corner and worked the turn out so not too bitty/un-even, the metro tile end would look better if full tile, half tile, full tile with proper tile edging, obviously not paying too much for the job.

8616C587-2977-4AF2-8938-A56D608D3380.jpeg.4268cca43c99f6bc6999fa1edc078b4a.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

For a very cheap and effective tile effect you could do the following:- Choose a colour and buy a tin of gloss and a tin of matt paint in the same shade. Paint the whole area in matt. Depending on the base surface you may need to use a primer first. Mask out 'grout lines' using fine line masking tape. (De-tack it by sticking each strip to fabric, eg jeans/overalls, a couple of times if required.) Then paint over the area in gloss. The matt paint acts as an undercoat for the gloss. Remove masking tape when dry. This will be cheap, quick, reasonably hard wearing and easy to touch up in the future. Using the same colour in different levels of sheen can be extremely effective and good value. Look forward to pictures of the rest of your new galley. V exciting!

NB you could use a lighter shade of matt to make the grout lines stand out more but this might look a bit gimmicky imo. (You are giving the 'effect' of tiles rather than trompe l'oeil).

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

No, those are floor tiles, the ones I want are the very latest technology [!], and are sort of hi tech, very arty.

Cost £40 to £75 sq m!

You seem to know exactly what you want, unlike me and other posters on this thread. What actually is your question?

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm looking for what are termed self adhesive vinyl tiles as used for splashback.

Well, actually I'm looking for someone who has used them and found them satisfactory. Not flooring tiles, more glossy, they are the  d-c type, I'll try to copy.

The d-c-fix people make these, but some a no tougher than vinyl wallpaper., and are on a roll

d-c-fix

Is it not better to get feedback on whether they are any good before starting the project in the first place, and limited fall back options. 

11 hours ago, blu said:

I had them in my bathroom in an old flat. They were pretty good but yeah expensive if using a lot. 

These were the ones I used:
https://www.diy.com/departments/opp-slate-stone-effect-self-adhesive-vinyl-tile-pack-of-13/3663602563266_BQ.prd

Self adhesive floor tiles will just fall off if stuck to a vertical surface as I think Lady G is talking about.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Cost £40 to £75 sq m!

Are they designed to be stuck to vertical walls? I hadn't heard of them before. Can you paste a link please?

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Self adhesive floor tiles will just fall off if stuck to a vertical surface as I think Lady G is talking about.

They lasted 5 years stuck vertically on my bathroom wall. And might still be there, I left before they fell off.

Edited by blu

2 hours ago, blu said:

They lasted 5 years stuck vertically on my bathroom wall. And might still be there, I left before they fell off.

Self adhesive or did you stick them up with something else? I've never seen self adhesive vinyl flooring that will stay attached to walls because it's not designed to do that. You may have been lucky but I wouldn't recommend others to risk their money doing that because the chances are it will fail.

Edited by blackrose

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Self adhesive or did you stick them up with something else? I've never seen self adhesive vinyl flooring that will stay attached to walls because it's not designed to do that. You may have been lucky but I wouldn't recommend others to risk their money doing that because the chances are it will fail.

Oops.. Sorry, forgot to add that I used "No Nail" glue.

On 13/01/2024 at 12:58, Tonka said:

It looks like maybe there has been a cabinet removed from the bulkhead and thats just a blank covering, as it’s under the sink and I can’t see any finger pull handles like the draw to the left. 
 IMO would look better just painted as tiling that low would just look odd.

@LadyG who did the work? Was it the guy in the two boats, that was moored next to you at Bramwith junction?

13 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

When I bought some genuine Formica more than 30 years ago, it was only available in sheets about 10' long by 4' wide.  I only wanted it for a kitchen table I was making, so I had plenty left over!  

That’s why I’m suggesting making a mosaic from a sample swatch.  A local undertaker has still got some random sheets and he let me have some last year to make a work surface for a Dandy Camper restoration for the price of a pint

Other laminate sample swatches must be available and the edges are generally finished nicely

Genuine Formica was always very expensive

Oh well, part of the current problem is that I'm out in the sticks. 

As it happens I've got 750ml of Zinsser paint which is expensive enough £30 delivered, so I'm going to use that if I can get the existing adhesive off, it's what I used on the lower cabin walls.

The galley refurb has turned in to a boat refurb.

If you sand the adhesive flat Zinsser phenolic primers are brilliant you can paint over it. Zinsser have a really helpful helpline with a tech man manning it

As an aside I agree with the others that the edges of the tiles are not ideal. Could you not get your man back to cut the silicone off and attach edging tiles or even a hardwood strip round the outside. It should be simple enough. I would worry that the silicon is going to look mucky pretty quickly and spoil the job. Please don’t take this personally it’s just my opinion and it’s easy for me to be wise after the event