Rivers flood at Gunthorpe, Billing Aquadrome etc.

Featured Posts

Everyone pays for privatisation in the end. It may not be financial but payment will be made. 

11 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Scary amount of red double-exclamation-marks (currently discharging sewage into a water course)

So its coming from the river Loddon. That makes sense. I always did wonder about the fig trees and other lush vegetation in that small but very significant tributary. 

I'm sure they (TW) are misreporting the little Marlow STP as the website says it has not discharged since May. I've been past it on the floating electric beer drinking platform numerous times last summer and at times the lower discharge outlet was stinking terribly. 

Feeling very lucky up here in TS12.

We rarely get more than just localised flooding on roads etc. but here and the North East in general we have got off lightly regarding heavy rain and flooding. Nothing really significant other than a bit of heavy rain. Unlike much of the country.

We have sadly had one possible death in the Tees but this possibly would have occurred anyway regardless of current river levels and flow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-67867306

On 03/01/2024 at 22:41, matty40s said:

Cogenhoe has similar problems, as does Cosgrove Park next to the GU with the Great Ouse spilling out.

Have you been down to Cogenhoe? I'm interested in whether my old mooring is flooded. In the 5 years I lived there I never met anyone who'd ever seen the river go over the south bank of the mill stream. It sounds like it must have this year. I used to moor at the head of the mill stream where it meets the river.

5 hours ago, pearley said:

St Ives on Wednesday night. Will have risen more now. The ester is just lapping over the Quayside. Normally the roof if that narrowboat would be level with the Quay.

That's the navigation arch.

PXL_20240103_172336446.jpg

I hope the owner is there to watch the ropes, that one is very tight if there is any level change 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Spilling

Yes. It looks like a sensible hitch* which one can undo from the bollard side under load but it will pull the Boat over anyway. 

Not a very good situation if levels are rising. 

*Seems a bit like a lightermans hitch but could just as easily be a terrible bodge up !

Edited by magnetman

Meanwhile near Denver on the Great Ouse the water level is below normal -- this is standard operating practice. There was a bit of a current yesterday, but it only really got noticeable when going under the main road bridge at Littleport and the railway bridge at the north end of Ely  - where the river must be a lot shallower than elsewhere. Standing waves at Ely....

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To be that far up the access road it must be pretty high.

There are some properties flooded nearby

The water level was not quite a new record and hopefully is to recede now

The following from the river gauge in the marina just now.

image.png.3330ddb1092cb21ca4e39cf3af1a9695.png

I saw your comments on the YouTube thread Rick, sad news, the whole pontoon ripped away at 3am!

If climate change keeps things getting worse, you will need a penny farthing on the towpaths soon 

Edited by matty40s

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I saw your comments on the YouTube thread Rick, sad news, the whole pontoon ripped away at 3am!

If climate change keeps things getting worse, you will need a penny farthing on the towpaths soon 

Scary, it was over the towpath here at Harris in syston about a foot deep, my poor labrador was almost swimming .

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Scary, it was over the towpath here at Harris in syston about a foot deep, my poor labrador was almost swimming .

Can you put a link to the YouTube piece please

7 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Can you put a link to the YouTube piece please

Hi Richard, hope you are both well.

Which video do you need a link to.

Barrow sinking or pillings.

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What about the wife??

Wife was last seen doing backstroke towards Cossington.🙃

• Happy 1

Just now, Rickent said:

Hi Richard, hope you are both well.

Which video do you need a link to.

Barrow sinking or pillings.

Barrow sinking. I've seen the Pink boat one of Pillings lock.

Our boat is fine at Sileby

I spent an entertaining spare hour this afternoon trying to cross the Kennet just west of Reading, from south to north. The Kennet seems to be a few hundred metres wide at the moment and all roads approaching crossings in the Ufton Nervet/Padworth area are notionally still open. But no-one is daring to try as it is impossible to see where the roads actually are. 

Dammit I forgot to take any photos!

Drone footage of Bleasby just upstream of Hazelford Lock. 

BBC News - Watch: Drone footage shows hamlet cut off by floods
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67896425

Dunham Bridge closed.

BBC News - Lincolnshire flooding forces caravan park residents to leave homes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-67891723

• Greenie 1

Similar story on the Thames. Plenty of locks above Henley exceeded the last large flood which was 2014. In the case of Abingdon this morning on the downstream gauge it was about 2 feet above the 2014 level. Other locks downstream have predictably followed suit but not to the same extent as the River gets bigger obviously. 

Screenshot_2024-01-06-13-10-32-622_com.android.chrome.jpg.81146fbe78950df7ef3d90183be68957.jpg

Edited by magnetman
missing word

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

A new record high achieved at Torksey on the tidal R Trent

image.png.05389b3eec996ad9a0328a55ba72a2c2.png

Our neighbours have just gone to check on their caravan at Torksey. It was close last night. Fingers crossed for them!

Will be a close call on the flood gates at Torksey Lock that 😳

Edited by Naughty Cal