Rickmansworth Festival 2024 Cancelled

Featured Posts

• Tim Lewis changed the title to Rickmansworth Festival 2024 Cancelled

Asbestos in the aquadrome car park? 

is it an old landfill site? I know there was a lot of that going on around there with Sabeys tip (chess basin I believe) and opposite the Springwell moorings. 

From TRDC 

" It is recognised that there is asbestos containing material (ACM) at the Aquadrome. 
This was deposited while the site was filled in following gravel extraction in the 1920’s & 1930’s. The risks posed by asbestos fibres were not known at that time and it was extensively deposited across the site without recording or documenting. The Property Team are currently enhancing the Asbestos Management Plan and have engaged external consultants to assist with this work. Early recommendations include 
maintaining the water level in Batchworth Lake to encapsulate ACM beneath the surface, regular picking of loose ACM, along with prohibiting any work to the banks of the lake, unless agreed and managed by TRDC. "

Dodgy !

13 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

All of a sudden the ground has become dangerous😱

Or the Festival has become too commercial. Why do they need to use a large area of land to host a canal Boat festival? I thought it was just about the Boats. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Or the Festival has become too commercial. Why do they need to use a large area of land to host a canal Boat festival? I thought it was just about the Boats. 

It was very far from being just a canal Boat festival.

Little of what took place in the Aquadrome was really directly canal related, and included a large repertoire  of musical acts, for example.

I can't think of many other canal events that combined quite as many entertainments.

We shall miss it - it actually got us dragging two heavyweight historic boats through many lock intensive miles - something we are far less likely to do if there's no event at the end of it.

I'm amazed everyone who attended it last year hasn't died of asbestos poisoning, following all that lethally dangerous 'ground piercing' that went on.

Amazingly lucky. 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm amazed everyone who attended it last year hasn't died of asbestos poisoning, following all that lethally dangerous 'ground piercing' that went on.

Amazingly lucky. 

They arent alive to complain or point out that they have died from such dangerous activity dont  you realise? 

What a shame. 

Moral of the story, never lick your mooring pins clean in Rickmansworth. 

• Greenie 2

50 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

They arent alive to complain or point out that they have died from such dangerous activity dont  you realise? 

What a shame. 

Moral of the story, never lick your mooring pins clean in Rickmansworth. 

Yes I wondered if anyone would point this out. We survivors are a self-selecting group, just like everyone who says "Covid never did me any harm"! 

52 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It can take a couple of decades for asbestos to affect the body, the lungs.

That's too late for most of the Ricky regulars, beer and chips and gravy will have done for most before that.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's too late for most of the Ricky regulars, beer and chips and gravy will have done for most before that.

I certainly had the worst Cornish pasty ever, at Rickmansworth. 

On 02/01/2024 at 13:03, magnetman said:

Dodgy !

No - it is also a music festival - my son played there over 10 years ago