Is it a Cart or Wheelbarrow

Featured Posts

I think it depends.

Personally I tend to move the boat to the Elsan, so usually I only carry cassette a short distance, however I occasionally use my sack barrow.

This is my second sack barrow, the first was poor quality, this one is from Amazon, about £60, its strong, and its chrome, so it lives indoors.

I have my groceries, coal, logs, gas delivered, often in to the boat. The sack barrow is still essential for me, a cart would be inconvenient to store.

Edited by LadyG

You could do worse than an electric kick scooter for that job. Its amazing how much they can carry. 

I don't own any wheels for religious reasons but I did see someone transferring 2 x 20 litre metal gerry cans full of diesel across a field with an escooter. 

It looked like a normal xiaomi jobbie. 

Bolt a piece of ply to it for a wider platform making sure not to drill into the battery. 

In terms of the Original Question

Is it a Cart or Wheelbarrow

Generally speaking one can tell the difference by the number of wheels. If it has more than 1 then it is a cart. Exceptions will of course exist but this is an agreeable and reliable rule. 

The 'sack barrow' may introduce some confusion here but note it isn't a 'sack wheelbarrow' for a good reason. 

My cassette has wheels on it😱

Coal and gas were delivered

Can't you manage a bag of shopping? 

Collapsible sack truck for use when required.

Cart won't be of any help they never are

• Greenie 2

I guess it depends on what the surface is like. If you have a smooth metalled surface, a two-wheeled sack barrow will be fine, but if the surface is unmade or  rutted, a single wheeled barrow with a  large pneumatic tyre may be more practical. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

Is that the old Regent tug Brent in the background ? 

I think so. 

19 minutes ago, TCTC said:

IMG_2904.png

definitely is

v0_web%20(2).jpg?itok=X22Ftz-E

Always did have a smokey engine that one. I hope the damage to the left bow area isn't too bad. 

Hit the wall by the pub coming into Limehouse a few yars ago. Hard. Misjudged the eddy. 

It was in Poplar dock for ages as a houseboat. Wooden craft but had some steel tingles nailed on. 

A survivor but i wonder how long for.

Heavily modified of course. 

Just as a heads up, I know it won't be suitable for many but a young lad I know has a low slung electric bike with a vaguely similar frame to a compton. It has really thick but small tyres and he has a rack on the back. I sometimes pay him to deliver materials to domestic houses in central London  if I'm working on the roof there or similar as I do rope access work. He's keen and sometimes it's often simpler to pay him than take a van in with all the charges. He can put bags of sand and cement, slate tiles, all sorts on that bike. It's a wonder to behold. The bike is very heavy but it's not bigger than a normal bike. One for the widebeam owners only maybe. It would cope with towpaths and so on easily.

Agreed it's neither a cart or a barrow, just a suggestion.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Frankgh said:

Sack Barrow? Oh, you mean a Hand Truck! Thank goodness for google translator!

That's a new one on me I have never known them called anything but Sack Barrow.

I have used one of the collapsible ones, stores away in a very small space.

Edit to add:

A sack truck, also known as a hand trolley, dolly, stack truck, sack barrow, cart, two wheeler or bag barrow originated in the 18th century to move large sacks of spices on docks by young boys, who were unable to lift the large sacks by hand.

Perhaps this is why I have only ever heard it called a sack barrow.

Edited by Jerra

I find a wheelbarrow good for transporting bags of coal short distances, from the car to the boat for example, and also for taking cassettes to the elsan point a few hundred yards away. Yes I know they've got their own wheels but those little plastic wheels wouldn't last long on the rocky pathway.

I've also got a folding sack barrow but I don't use it very much.