BSS due date

Clodi

Featured Posts

My BSS is due in a couple of months time. I have a problem in that we may not actually be in the country to arrange an inspection before the due date. Our boat is kept on a CRT Waterside mooring & I'm not sure what action to take. Obviously if possible I'll get an inspection asap but if this isn't possible does anyone know what the score is?

I've asked our CRT 'local manager' but as they're not actually boaters & new to the job they couldn't tell me & now it's the holidays I don't expect an answer until the new-year.

Our licence runs for another 10 months until renewal.

1 minute ago, Clodi said:

In that case over here in the Real World you have 10 months to arrange a new BSS

Others will prattle on about your insurance being invalid and stuff like that, so just don't sink your boat in the meantime! 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Does it really matter they run for 4 years, just do it as late as you can and forget about it for  47 months. 

Or follow MTbs advice and worry about it sometime before your licence expires or you need to book something via the crt booking system

Edited by jonathanA
Sp
  • Greenie 1

I don't see a problem there.

Ideally one wants to arrange it so the BS ticket lasts for 5 yars.

Not all that easy to achieve unless one has a Thames or Gold licence which always start at the beginning of the yar even if you buy it in February.

Options

1.  Do it now and have a BSS cert dated from the test date

2.  Do it within the 2 months before you go - which may not be possible 

3.  Ask CRT and they will -

A).  Say it’s ok to be a bit late, but probably they won’t as the rules are clear

B).   Say it is definitely not ok.  In which case it’s either option 1) or ignore CRT instruction.  Not wise.

4.  Say nothing, do it as soon as you return.  If CRT notice which I doubt, say ‘very sorry, I tested as soon as I realised I was late’.

I know which I would do as it’s always better to say sorry than try to explain why you disobeyed an instruction.  But if you don’t like being a bit naughty, or worrying about insurance, upsetting CRT etc then it’s option 1.

• Greenie 1

I got so fed up with having mine done in the winter and being moaned at by my brass monkey while watching the entirely pointless exercise, I just got it done four months early in the summer. For a once four yearly thing a month or two makes little odds. I keep thinking "this'll be my last one", but so far it hasn't been.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Options

1.  Do it now and have a BSS cert dated from the test date

2.  Do it within the 2 months before you go - which may not be possible 

3.  Ask CRT and they will -

A).  Say it’s ok to be a bit late, but probably they won’t as the rules are clear

B).   Say it is definitely not ok.  In which case it’s either option 1) or ignore CRT instruction.  Not wise.

4.  Say nothing, do it as soon as you return.  If CRT notice which I doubt, say ‘very sorry, I tested as soon as I realised I was late’.

I know which I would do as it’s always better to say sorry than try to explain why you disobeyed an instruction.  But if you don’t like being a bit naughty, or worrying about insurance, upsetting CRT etc then it’s option 1.

A further option is to arrange for someone else to enable access for the examiner whilst you are away.  Most marinas will hold the keys for you and hand them, to the examiner. Since we are not close to our marina this is how we do it without having to be in a foreign country!

Depending on the examiner, you may need to ensure that anything that needs to be moved (like 'extras' in the gas locker!) is fixed before you depart. Our last one fell due during Covid restrictions and the examiner was very 'helpful' as he could go there but we could not.

The only problem is if the test reveals something that will need to be done before the cert can be issued. Whilst this will not be picked up by CaRT until the licence needs to be renewed you need, as has been said, to check your insurance small print as you may not be insured until it is fixed, but if you are concerned,  ,belt and braces would dictate asking them to be lenient. Unless it really is serious then I doubt if they will be picky. But doing nothing risks having a claim rejected when it is too late to do anything about it. Again, if you have an existing maintenance person you could arrange for them to have access via the marina office.

4 hours ago, Clodi said:

My BSS is due in a couple of months time. I have a problem in that we may not actually be in the country to arrange an inspection before the due date. Our boat is kept on a CRT Waterside mooring & I'm not sure what action to take. Obviously if possible I'll get an inspection asap but if this isn't possible does anyone know what the score is?

I've asked our CRT 'local manager' but as they're not actually boaters & new to the job they couldn't tell me & now it's the holidays I don't expect an answer until the new-year.

I have a CaRT mooring and they sent me a reminder three months before BSS was due to expire. Forgot and only remembered a day before. When phoned BSS chap he was able to do it a week later but told me that there probably wouldn't be problems until licence renewal in any case. CaRT never sent me a message about being a week out and once it was done system updated automatically with new BSS pass.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

You can get the BSS done up to two months early without changing the renewal day, so it sounds like you could just get it done now, or at least before you go away.

Problem is unfortunately we're not in control of our departure date due to a relative's health condition.We are not even at our mooring at the moment but expect to leave as soon as we get back in the new-year.

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

A further option is to arrange for someone else to enable access for the examiner whilst you are away.  Most marinas will hold the keys for you and hand them, to the examiner. Since we are not close to our marina this is how we do it without having to be in a foreign country!

Depending on the examiner, you may need to ensure that anything that needs to be moved (like 'extras' in the gas locker!) is fixed before you depart. Our last one fell due during Covid restrictions and the examiner was very 'helpful' as he could go there but we could not.

The only problem is if the test reveals something that will need to be done before the cert can be issued. Whilst this will not be picked up by CaRT until the licence needs to be renewed you need, as has been said, to check your insurance small print as you may not be insured until it is fixed, but if you are concerned,  ,belt and braces would dictate asking them to be lenient. Unless it really is serious then I doubt if they will be picky. But doing nothing risks having a claim rejected when it is too late to do anything about it. Again, if you have an existing maintenance person you could arrange for them to have access via the marina office.

We are not at a marina & don't have a maintenance 'person'. One thing in our favour is we don't have gas on board. Thank's anyway.

I don't see it as a problem at all.

Your Boat is licensed. It is insured (one hopes) but even if it was not insured the probability of anything bad happening is incredibly small. I would say it is so small as to be indescribable. 

Deal with your other things, have an enjoyable christmas time and don't worry about Boat related things. 

It seems to me that the Boat is secondary or tertiary in this situation. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 3
  • Love 1

Get it done sooner rather than later. 

My last one was in 2019, after 2009, 2015 with no issues.

I have had to change/alter, make accessible things that have been in place from original construction 30 years ago to comply.

Under the new regime, things that have been overlooked as inconsequential for 25 years are now being enforced. 

Not the BSS examiners nit- picking, the 'powers above' are regularly checking their tests and even over-riding their results if they see fit to. They (the powers to be) are also insisting on random site visits to quality check BSS examiners boats after a test to ensure compliance.

It isnt daft to look through the BSS regs and go through your boat first....but you need to be ruthless, just because it's been like that for so long  doesnt mean it will pass now.

There are lots of BSS examiners previously used which are no longer available....some due to age, most due to the cost of the courses, BSS certificate cost, and the hassle of having to go back single/or indeed multiple times if rechecks are needed. There also those who used to do them who passed your boat every four years as safe as it was built properly! Without specifically carrying out the checks specified by the BSS.

The cost of a BSS used to be £150-200 in the Midlands....retests now have to be charged for just to make it worthwile, quite rightly in my opinion... to check changes, mileage and time.

I am in the lucky position of being able to get these jobs done in my own valuable family care and social time....to get my previously OK boat took about 8 hours of work and probably £50 bits and fittings.

Yes, I had to alter 30 years old back cabin work by the esteemed Braidbar.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I have had to change/alter, make accessible things that have been in place from original construction 30 years ago to comply.

Under the new regime, things that have been overlooked as inconsequential for 25 years are now being enforced. 

Not the BSS examiners nit- picking, the 'powers above' are regularly checking their tests and even over-riding their results if they see fit to. They (the powers to be) are also insisting on random site visits to quality check BSS examiners boats after a test to ensure compliance.

It isnt daft to look through the BSS regs and go through your boat first....but you need to be ruthless, just because it's been like that for so long  doesnt mean it will pass now.

There are lots of BSS examiners previously used which are no longer available....some due to age, most due to the cost of the courses, BSS certificate cost, and the hassle of having to go back single/or indeed multiple times if rechecks are needed. There also those who used to do them who passed your boat every four years as safe as it was built properly! Without specifically carrying out the checks specified by the BSS.

The cost of a BSS used to be £150-200 in the Midlands....retests now have to be charged for just to make it worthwile, quite rightly in my opinion... to check changes, mileage and time.

I am in the lucky position of being able to get these jobs done in my own valuable family care and social time....to get my previously OK boat took about 8 hours of work and probably £50 bits and fittings.

Did the hob pass?

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

I think bss are quite right to check up on examiners as there have been some reports which suggest the examination of the relevant parts of the boat has been less than satisfactory or non existent. I suspect the checks have been actioned and those poor  practices have been eliminated some time ago.

Unlike a mot on a car a boat has to achieve  the current standard regardless of its age.

However it would be upsetting to have to alter arrangements which passed 4 years ago if it was an item where the bss requirements have not changed.

You are suggesting a increased risk of a failure point on a boat that has passed before and with no changes  to the boat. In the OP's case would it not be  better to delay the bss until he can be available to deal with any issues that arise .

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

Unlike a mot on a car a boat has to achieve  the current standard regardless of its age.

However it would be upsetting to have to alter arrangements which passed 4 years ago if it was an item where the bss requirements have not changed.

I'm not sure thats 100 % correct. Yes for some things like CO alarms you have to meet the new requirement, but I'm struggling to think of anything else that has been new requirement that you HAVE to meet. Gas fridges and paloma type water heaters come to mind as something you might struggle with on as new but would be OK if existing. 

If your saying that adherence to the standard is going to be more strictly enforced then thats different.... 

Anecdotal evidence on here suggests the issue is more with examiners making up rules or being overly harsh in their interpretation.

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

If your saying that adherence to the standard is going to be more strictly enforced then thats different.... 

Anecdotal evidence on here suggests the issue is more with examiners making up rules or being overly harsh in their interpretation.

One example I can give you from Old Friends.

We have a traditional engine with under floor batteries one side and underfloor fuel tank the other. The heavy duty filler hose comes out of the top of the tank, goes behind the cabin walls and up to the gunnel filler. The breather vent similarly disappears behind the bulkhead and continues up to the roof. The cabin is 32 years old.

On this BSS, the boat did not comply with the regulation that says both ends of the hoses must be accessible for inspection, so access panels have had to be cut and created to enable this to happen.

This should have failed every other BSS the boat has had.

Edited by matty40s

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I'm not sure thats 100 % correct. 

Let me rephrase it.

Does anything in the BSS allow the age of the boat to be taken into consideration?

If not then all boats must comply with BSS requirements which are in place at the time of the exam.

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This should have failed every other BSS the boat has had.

So the complaint , if any , should be against every prior BSS examiner.

BSS started around 1996 I believe ? 

15 hours ago, MartynG said:

Let me rephrase it.

Does anything in the BSS allow the age of the boat to be taken into consideration?

If not then all boats must comply with BSS requirements which are in place at the time of the exam.

So the complaint , if any , should be against every prior BSS examiner.

BSS started around 1996 I believe ? 

I am not complaining, I am pointing out the fact that the BSS is now far more rigorously checked and enforced, meaning it is wise to get it done as early as possible, so anything now not complying has plenty of time to be brought up to standard.

I hold that there are so many requirements in the BSS that there is no chance of actually considering and inspecting each and every one of them during an inspection taking perhaps an hour or so. 

Just a handful of important rules will be actually checked in my experience, and most of the rest overlooked.

But random obscure contraventions here and there might be noticed for the first time on any re-inspection, and a fail issued. Matty40s's experience above is a good excample.

In the BSS requirements a great deal of emphasis is placed on fuel filler hoses (and breather hoses) . 

Clearly, from the extract below,  there is no scope to relax or omit this particular check if the fuel hose connections are not visible.

image.png.2ef79fb8b7a0b802d1c21cd89f68f70b.png

It does  seem that past poor practices are being corrected by the BSS

to my point  all of these examples are NOT examples of the rules changing and then folks having to update their boats to meet 'new' requirements, more a failing in the inspection regime, in that these things should have been spotted by previous examiners. 

My current examiner was at pains to point out that he would need at least 3-4 hours to carry out the test and I should be prepared for it to take that long.   I can vouch for his thoroughness,  it took just less than 3 hours and he commented that as everything was clearly labelled, and neatly laid out it made his job much easier and thats why he'd been a bit quicker.   Admittedly our boat is relatively straight forward, but does have, GAS, solid fuel stove and 240 V electrical systems so pretty normal. 

So I think MTB is right, I can't see how a BSS in and hour or so can be anything like thorough.