Made to measure water tanks

LeonR

Featured Posts

First decision is whether you want stainless steel or a plastic one.

If it's going to be under the bed, it will need very good spray foaming to stop condensation problems, and if the bed is to the side of the boat, have you considered how you will ballast to counter full/empty tank.?

We used Stansa Plastics when fitting out Innisfree, good few years now (2005 - bit of a one man band then, might still be) but at that time they were the cheapest in UK. Joe made us three first class tanks, 2x water 1x holding in 12 mm black polypropylene,

FWIW we had holding tank on port side and water tanks under diner, one midships + one on stb side as an adjustable ballast tank to counteract holding tank, worked a treat. 

https://stansa.co.uk/

Edited by nb Innisfree

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

First decision is whether you want stainless steel or a plastic one.

If it's going to be under the bed, it will need very good spray foaming to stop condensation problems, and if the bed is to the side of the boat, have you considered how you will ballast to counter full/empty tank.?

Hey. Thanks for the reply - I was thinking about it being safe to drink from - I imagine the plastic ones have some micro particles floating about it? In which case I probably would opt for stainless. 
We’re good for where it’s going, but yes insulation is a good point. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

We used Stansa Plastics when fitting out Innisfree, good few years now (2005 - bit of a one man band then, might still be) but at that time they were the cheapest in UK. Joe made us three first class tanks, 2x water 1x holding in 12 mm black polypropylene,

FWIW we had holding tank on port side and water tanks under diner, one midships + one on stb side as an adjustable ballast tank to counteract holding tank, worked a treat. 

https://stansa.co.uk/

Great thanks a lot!

3 minutes ago, LeonR said:

Hey. Thanks for the reply - I was thinking about it being safe to drink from - I imagine the plastic ones have some micro particles floating about it? In which case I probably would opt for stainless. 
We’re good for where it’s going, but yes insulation is a good point. Thanks!

Be careful with stainless, if it's not the correct grade it can perforate, I once spoke to a leading marine equipment supplier that dropped stainless after a tank perforated. Polypropylene is very stable. 

4 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Be careful with stainless, if it's not the correct grade it can perforate, I once spoke to a leading marine equipment supplier that dropped stainless after a tank perforated. Polypropylene is very stable. 

Ah good to know, just did a bit of research and it appears they are safe for drinking from? 

I've had two tanks made by Jay Wolfe Engineering - and they're used by my local boatyard too.  Both mine were made to measure stainless steel.  Excellent quality, excellent service.  Based in Kingsthorpe near Northampton.  

Stainless was always my go-to over plastic for the cleanliness/taste, but the boatyard also recommended it as if on the off-chance in the future there was ever a problem it is easier to repair than plastic.  I just hope I never have to experience that.... 

I used Goodwin Plastics, too. They are on Facebook and have hundreds of photos on their page.

Got mine with filler inlet, main outlet, breather and inspection hatch. Also has baffles fitted.

20231208_174253.thumb.jpg.c7e7d1f7438b7814545b6ea19c3897cf.jpg

Edited by Lee Crook
  • Greenie 1

On 04/12/2023 at 13:52, TandC said:

I've had two tanks made by Jay Wolfe Engineering - and they're used by my local boatyard too.  Both mine were made to measure stainless steel.  Excellent quality, excellent service.  Based in Kingsthorpe near Northampton.  

Stainless was always my go-to over plastic for the cleanliness/taste, but the boatyard also recommended it as if on the off-chance in the future there was ever a problem it is easier to repair than plastic.  I just hope I never have to experience that.... 

Great thanks... I was thinking of getting anew waste tank made. The current one is black, would that be iron/steel? Obviously no need for it to be stainless and I imagine plastic might corrode? 

On 08/12/2023 at 17:44, Lee Crook said:

I used Goodwin Plastics, too. They are on Facebook and have hundreds of photos on their page.

Got mine with filler inlet, main outlet, breather and inspection hatch. Also has baffles fitted.

20231208_174253.thumb.jpg.c7e7d1f7438b7814545b6ea19c3897cf.jpg

Brill, gonna check them out now. Thanks

11 minutes ago, LeonR said:

Great thanks... I was thinking of getting anew waste tank made. The current one is black, would that be iron/steel? Obviously no need for it to be stainless and I imagine plastic might corrode.. 

We use Jay Wolfe for all our tank replacements. 

Your waste tank DOES need to be stainless or plastic, we use Jay as all the 15-20 year old waste tanks are rotting through.....there is no worse job than trying to get a collapsing tank off a boat in one piece....

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

We use Jay Wolfe for all our tank replacements. 

Your waste tank DOES need to be stainless or plastic, we use Jay as all the 15-20 year old waste tanks are rotting through.....there is no worse job than trying to get a collapsing tank off a boat in one piece....

Yikes, yes that sounds awful

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

If it's made from food grade plastic, yes.

I'd love to know why anyone would want to know that it's safe to drink from a pumpout tank... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I'd love to know why anyone would want to know that it's safe to drink from a pumpout tank... 😉

You have to be considerate to the hooligans, or, with this namby-pamby state, they can sue you.

If you have put your "DIESEL" label onto the pump-out tank and the thieves come and syphon your diesel you dont want them suing you because they have ingested some rust, or chemicals from a 'non-food' plastic  tanks.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have to be considerate to the hooligans, or, with this namby-pamby state, they can sue you.

If you have put your "DIESEL" label onto the pump-out tank and the thieves come and syphon your diesel you dont want them suing you because they have ingested some rust, or chemicals from a 'non-food' plastic  tanks.

You been reading the Wail again? 😉

Go on, provide a real example of something like this happening, you *know* you want to...

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Go on, provide a real example of something like this happening, you *know* you want to...

Would providing you with the relevant paragraphs from Common law & a number of Acts be OK for you ?

"In English law, occupiers' liability towards visitors is regulated in the Occupiers' Liability Act 1957. In addition, occupiers' liability to trespassers is provided under the Occupiers' Liability Act 1984." The 1984 act is similar to the common law rule discussed below,

Duty of occupier to persons other than his visitors.

(1)The rules enacted by this section shall have effect, in place of the rules of the common law, to determine —

(a)whether any duty is owed by a person as occupier of premises to persons other than his visitors in respect of any risk of their suffering injury on the premises by reason of any danger due to the state of the premises or to things done or omitted to be done on them; and

(b)if so, what that duty is.

(2)For the purposes of this section, the persons who are to be treated respectively as an occupier of any premises (which, for those purposes, include any fixed or movable structure) and as his visitors are —

(a)any person who owes in relation to the premises the duty referred to in section 2 of the M1 Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 (the common duty of care), and

(b)those who are his visitors for the purposes of that duty.

(3)An occupier of premises owes a duty to another (not being his visitor) in respect of any such risk as is referred to in subsection (1) above if

(a)he is aware of the danger or has reasonable grounds to believe that it exists;

(b)he knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that the other is in the vicinity of the danger concerned or that he may come into the vicinity of the danger (in either case, whether the other has lawful authority for being in that vicinity or not); and

(c)the risk is one against which, in all the circumstances of the case, he may reasonably be expected to offer the other some protection.

(4)Where, by virtue of this section, an occupier of premises owes a duty to another in respect of such a risk, the duty is to take such care as is reasonable in all the circumstances of the case to see that he does not suffer injury on the premises by reason of the danger concerned.

(5)Any duty owed by virtue of this section in respect of a risk may, in an appropriate case, be discharged by taking such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances of the case to give warning of the danger concerned or to discourage persons from incurring the risk**.

(6)No duty is owed by virtue of this section to any person in respect of risks willingly accepted as his by that person (the question whether a risk was so accepted to be decided on the same principles as in other cases in which one person owes a duty of care to another).

** I very much doubt that mislabelling the Pump-Out tank as the  Diesel tank would be considered as 'discouraging persons' 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would providing you with the relevant paragraphs from Common law & a number of Acts be OK for you ?

"In English law, occupiers' liability towards visitors is regulated in the Occupiers' Liability Act 1957. In addition, occupiers' liability to trespassers is provided under the Occupiers' Liability Act 1984." The 1984 act is similar to the common law rule discussed below,

Duty of occupier to persons other than his visitors.

(1)The rules enacted by this section shall have effect, in place of the rules of the common law, to determine —

(a)whether any duty is owed by a person as occupier of premises to persons other than his visitors in respect of any risk of their suffering injury on the premises by reason of any danger due to the state of the premises or to things done or omitted to be done on them; and

(b)if so, what that duty is.

(2)For the purposes of this section, the persons who are to be treated respectively as an occupier of any premises (which, for those purposes, include any fixed or movable structure) and as his visitors are —

(a)any person who owes in relation to the premises the duty referred to in section 2 of the M1 Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 (the common duty of care), and

(b)those who are his visitors for the purposes of that duty.

(3)An occupier of premises owes a duty to another (not being his visitor) in respect of any such risk as is referred to in subsection (1) above if

(a)he is aware of the danger or has reasonable grounds to believe that it exists;

(b)he knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that the other is in the vicinity of the danger concerned or that he may come into the vicinity of the danger (in either case, whether the other has lawful authority for being in that vicinity or not); and

(c)the risk is one against which, in all the circumstances of the case, he may reasonably be expected to offer the other some protection.

(4)Where, by virtue of this section, an occupier of premises owes a duty to another in respect of such a risk, the duty is to take such care as is reasonable in all the circumstances of the case to see that he does not suffer injury on the premises by reason of the danger concerned.

(5)Any duty owed by virtue of this section in respect of a risk may, in an appropriate case, be discharged by taking such steps as are reasonable in all the circumstances of the case to give warning of the danger concerned or to discourage persons from incurring the risk**.

(6)No duty is owed by virtue of this section to any person in respect of risks willingly accepted as his by that person (the question whether a risk was so accepted to be decided on the same principles as in other cases in which one person owes a duty of care to another).

** I very much doubt that mislabelling the Pump-Out tank as the  Diesel tank would be considered as 'discouraging persons' 

I wasn't asking for your usual reaction of posting a big chunk of legalese, I was asking you for an actual example of "with this namby-pamby state, they can sue you" that had happened in real life as opposed to a rant worthy of the Daily Wail.

And please don't bring up the tired old tropes of shooting burglars in the back...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1