Stern floor supports

Flipflop

Featured Posts

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make a frame out of wood to support the flooring. A photo of the area in question would help.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Is this for a cruiser stern deck?

If the metal channels are already there why would you not use them to support the deck panels?

Good point, again, a photo would help

To answer the original Q.

Wooden deck supports are entirely feasible, but, even if made of treated timber are liable to rot, particularly at joints.  They will also not channel water overboard, so the bilge will be wet when it rains

Steel channel, with good sized drain holes is a better bet.

N

Crikey, you've taken on a project, good luck with that, I'd be getting full personal protection kit, and start de rusting the hull next spring, cupped wire brushes are useful. Can you remove the windows and all the bits that could be worked on in a workshop, with proper tools, dry and warm.

Cor, that's a job, well done for tackling it. In my opinion (frequently wrong) you will, as you say, have to keep the steel channel just to drain water away but tanalised wood - that's the greenish stuff - will be OK for a sub frame but it will eventually rot anywhere that the deck boards join over the wood.  "Cruiser sterns" do tend to suffer from problems with drainage and rot/rust unless they are carefully designed and built.

Coming on nicely mate.  
Out of interest have you taken timber out from the floor structure?  I’ve only taken out the first couple of feet at the bow so far and the 18mm ply floor seems to be just laid onto the steel bearers, and a bit like yours has no support around the hull perimeter (might all change once I get past the toilet and shower area).  I’m assuming I’ll need to add some supports around the hull for the new floor.  Even at 18mm I’d  expect a bit of flex without.  Either well protected timber or angle iron. 

what are your plans?  

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

Cor, that's a job, well done for tackling it. In my opinion (frequently wrong) you will, as you say, have to keep the steel channel just to drain water away but tanalised wood - that's the greenish stuff - will be OK for a sub frame but it will eventually rot anywhere that the deck boards join over the wood.  "Cruiser sterns" do tend to suffer from problems with drainage and rot/rust unless they are carefully designed and built.

In my day job I see 4” tantalised posts that can rot through in a couple of years if not allowed to dry out.  I’d be concerned about airflow where the floor is sat against them.  Will be fine if spaced off or well protected with bitumen or similar, though heat in the engine bay might mean there’s a better product for that location.