Re-boarding: washing line between the rubbing strakes?

wakey_wake

Featured Posts

I've been looking at the dark patch of water down the side of the boat these nights and thinking it would be a bad place to end up. (So don't fall in)

Then I thought, if I ran a length of steel-core washing line from the bow well deck drain hole down to the rear button (or something else around there, might need to add a weld-in), then I would have a grab rail the whole length of the boat. Not enough to get out, but enough to move along to a better place.

Do you think it would snag? I reckon a 3mm washing line will sit between the rubbing strakes and not get hooked up on anything.

I'm thinking of it as a semi-permanent fitting, unlike fenders which of course I never leave down while cruising 😉

Thoughts please..? 🤔 

I know I also need some kind of re-boarding ladder. That's a separate problem and maybe something to do before this.

Edited by wakey_wake
...as a semi-permanent fixture

7 minutes ago, wakey_wake said:

Thoughts please..? 🤔 

I would think washing line will be too small and slippery to usefully grasp. Old lifeboats tend to use rope as grab line, probably 10mm plus. You are still left with the problem of getting out of the water onto the boat, or onto the bank.

I fell in for the first time last year. My biggest problem was that I hit my ribs on the way in, and they took a couple of months to fix.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Life vest is a simpler solution.

Even better than remembering to put it on before falling in is remembering not to fall in before falling in. Safety is belt & braces. (is that a tautology?)

I have a nice self-inflating one and wear it while cruising, but pottering around outside and "not planning to get wet"? Not so much... maybe I should re-think that.

But how about the first bit, from arriving to getting into the boat? The current perch isn't good, it requires a slide along the side before I can unlock.

2 minutes ago, wakey_wake said:

Even better than remembering to put it on before falling in is remembering not to fall in before falling in. Safety is belt & braces. (is that a tautology?)

I have a nice self-inflating one and wear it while cruising, but pottering around outside and "not planning to get wet"? Not so much... maybe I should re-think that.

But how about the first bit, from arriving to getting into the boat? The current perch isn't good, it requires a slide along the side before I can unlock.

So wear the life vest when you get out of the car!  Just how deep is the water around your mooring?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would think washing line will be too small and slippery to usefully grasp. Old lifeboats tend to use rope as grab line, probably 10mm plus. You are still left with the problem of getting out of the water onto the boat, or onto the bank.

I fell in for the first time last year. My biggest problem was that I hit my ribs on the way in, and they took a couple of months to fix.

Ouchy.

So there is effectiveness (which can only be tested, maybe in summer) and safety of not causing new problems.

Yes I know it's not the whole solution. Having a reboarding ladder 50ft away might not always be a great solution either, which is why one should only fall in at the correct end & side of the boat. 🤦‍♂️

I don't think I would want a 10mm line down between the rubbing strakes, and it may be too stretchy anyway. Perhaps worth a try... in summer.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Just how deep is the water around your mooring?

Variable. Some is recently dredged, some isn't deep enough to move a boat. One could end up like a dinosaur in La Brea tarpit.

(moorings are temporary...  so am I, but I'm not ready to move on yet!)

4 minutes ago, wakey_wake said:

Ouchy.

So there is effectiveness (which can only be tested, maybe in summer) and safety of not causing new problems.

Yes I know it's not the whole solution. Having a reboarding ladder 50ft away might not always be a great solution either, which is why one should only fall in at the correct end & side of the boat. 🤦‍♂️

I don't think I would want a 10mm line down between the rubbing strakes, and it may be too stretchy anyway. Perhaps worth a try... in summer.

Any boat (even a narrowboat) built commercially since 1998 is required to have a method of reboarding for a 'man overboard'.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

7. Add non slip tape/paint to the slippery bits on the gunwals at the front, back and gas locker.

Just now, Mike Tee said:

11. If you do go in, keep your mouth shut for as long as possible, you don't want to be swallowing any of that

Oh yes, done all these sensible things. Haven't been for an accidental swim in many years but I do know it's rather disorienting, sudden and doesn't taste nice at all.

Last time pre-dates everyone carrying a camera and they helped me out pronto.

Also,

12. Have some light on the side. I don't have full coverage yet but the proof of concept is a short length of 12V LED strip, waterproofed onto a block of wood with a little pot magnet. It works a treat, good illumination over several meters and not dazzling...  but the switch is under the cratch. I'll move it to wifi and/or PIR at some point.

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Any boat (even a narrowboat) built commercially since 1998 is required to have a method of reboarding for a 'man overboard'.

Yep, it's on the list. Boat is older than that.

Canalised rivers can be quite deep. For our second canal holiday in the very wet Queen's Jubilee week of 1977 we went up the Leicester branch via the Watford flight and Foxton staircase. When we were passing through Leicester on the River Soar, one of the crew who had just been praising his newly-bought waterproofs that were keeping him nice and  dry in that day's downpour, missed his footing while going along the outside to avoid dripping water everywhere inside, and fell in, going completely under. We had only encountered shallow canals before.

Cold water will mean you lose dexterity and strength in your fingers very quickly as your body concentrates on keeping warm blood in your core. Will make gripping any small diameter line tricky. Having a ladder set up nearby is a good idea. Where I moor it is five to six feet deep. The couple of times I've helped people out of the water here it has been remarkably difficult. Required a minimum of two to pull them out as they were both quite large guys. Alcohol was a contributing factor in both incidents! We petitioned the mooring operator to put in some ladders, which they did.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The couple of times I've helped people out of the water here it has been remarkably difficult. Required a minimum of two to pull them out as they were both quite large guys. Alcohol was a contributing factor in both incidents!

In the absence of alcohol you wouldn't have bothered to pull them out?

• Haha 4

A couple of decades ago there was a piece in one of the canal mags  by a single-hander about winter canal  boating where he described his experience of falling in. The main problem he had in hauling himself out of the water was the weight of his several layers of now sodden winter clothing.  Although he was in a marina, there was no-one else around.

Edited by Ronaldo47
  • Greenie 1

I have a telescopic ladder on the roof with ropes running down to the gunwhales, so I can pull it down if I fall in. Got it after I fell in, in a marina. Nowhere suitable to climb out. Luckily it was a lovely day, I could stand, and there were people about to go get a ladder.

I blamed falling in on not having enough tread on my boots.

Edited by DShK
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What does that mean -- what counts as "a method of reboarding"?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My boat has those, the "yoghurt pot slashers" on the stern, flat steps about an inch under water.

I found using them surprisingly difficult when I tried reboarding following a long swimming session in the Avon river near Pershore last year (remember that heatwave?). And I consider that I have pretty strong leg muscles.

Yet I couldn't get adequate purchase on the slippery slimy step to pull myself vertical (grabbing onto the taff rail) in order to haul myself out. In the end, I waded ashore over rocks.

Edited by Puffling

25 minutes ago, IanD said:

What does that mean -- what counts as "a method of reboarding"?

It is required by, and explained in, the RCR/RCD

The boat builder that fell foul of the RCD (I mentioned him in a previous thread) had shown in his owners manual that he had installed a 'means to reboard' but, he had 'forgotten to do it'.

It was one of the features (along with wrong glass, not 'screwed down' stove etc etc) that the Trading Standards raised with him (and the court).

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is required by, and explained in, the RCR/RCD

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply -- I would have expected an expert on the legalities of canals such as you to have the answer immediately to hand, but obviously not... 😞

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply -- I would have expected an expert on the legalities of canals such as you to have the answer immediately to hand, but obviously not... 😞

I do, but I'm not your research assistant - if you want to know if your boat complies maybe ask your builder.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I do, but I'm not your research assistant - if you want to know if your boat complies maybe ask your builder.

I'm sure it does, but since you brought the subject up I though you might want to actually post something helpful to the less knowledgeable members of the forum.

I should have known better... 😞