Canal World - Fundraising

RichM

Featured Posts

Good afternoon,

As you may know, Canal World is funded entirely by our loyal members. However due to recent increases in operating costs, current donations are not meeting our full running costs each month. (To read more about our finances, please see Nigel's post here.)

Our operating costs consist mainly of the techy stuff. - Canal World is hosted on two powerful servers, one of which is dedicated to hosting VNC as to help us provide a fast & stable service while enabling us to achieve this while being 100% ad-free! 

The downside is that unfortunately this comes at a cost and this is dependent on how much we use, a bit like our energy bills. As such, we would greatly appreciate any additional donations from our valued members.

To make a donation via PayPal, you may click the "Donate" button at the top right of the page, or click here. All donations received are invested in the site and will help us keep our much loved site and community online & stable for years to come. As a small token of our appreciation to those who donate to Canal World, we will display a small star next to their forum name. 

Please click here to donate today!

Thank you

Rich

16 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Hi it says click here to donate but instead I seem to be in a rabbit hole of discussion. Happy to donate - point me to the slot. 

There's a donate button under the menu top right if you are on your phone.

Screenshot_20230925-161030_SamsungInternet.jpg.df2f80947e0ff642746576a667418619.jpg

Edited by David Mack

Thanks for the donations received thus far. Every penny we receive (minus PayPal transaction fees) is re-invested in the forum and covers our monthly running costs.

We're just over half way towards reaching our goal for this donation campaign. I'm sure Nigel will share this in his next financial report. Keep the donations coming. :)

Thanks again

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, RichM said:

Thanks for the donations received thus far. Every penny we receive (minus PayPal transaction fees) is re-invested in the forum and covers our monthly running costs.

We're just over half way towards reaching our goal for this donation campaign. I'm sure Nigel will share this in his next financial report. Keep the donations coming. :)

Thanks again

I think the wording on the orange flash may be causing a little bit of confusion if you can't see the tab on the top, perhaps "Please help us stay ad free! Click here to learn how to donate to Canal World today" ?? And also make the actual link in your post bigger and bolder ??

Just a thought :) 

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think the wording on the orange flash may be causing a little bit of confusion if you can't see the tab on the top, perhaps "Please help us stay ad free! Click here to learn how to donate to Canal World today" ?? And also make the actual link in your post bigger and bolder ??

Just a thought :) 

Thanks for the feedback.

It is difficult with the orange banner, if it's too wordy it won't display properly on some smaller devices. I have actioned your second suggestion though and have made the text bigger + added another link.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, RichM said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It is difficult with the orange banner, if it's too wordy it won't display properly on some smaller devices. I have actioned your second suggestion though and have made the text bigger + added another link.

The orange banner says "click here donate to Canalworld today". But if you click on the banner it just opens another copy of this thread. Wouldn't it be better if clicking on the banner took you directly to the donate page?

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Chris G said:

How do you pay without setting up a PayPal a/c?

I paid via PayPal as a guest using my card. PayPal does try to make this more difficult than need be, but read the screens carefully and it can be done without.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I paid via PayPal as a guest using my card. PayPal does try to make this more difficult than need be, but read the screens carefully and it can be done without.

It would probably be helpful if that option is made clear in both forum requests and the payment pages.  Like others, I had assumed that no PayPal account meant no way to donate.

22 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks Tony; I managed to pay without setting up a PayPal a/c.

• Greenie 1

Might be worth looking into setting up the very popular Stripe payment gateway which has a transaction charge of 1.4% rather than the 2.9% that PayPal charges. People donating can enter their card details online as they seem to be doing at the moment through PayPal anyway. The only downside is that a stand alone bank account would be needed.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

The only downside is that a stand alone bank account would be needed.

That is a major hurdle.  Canalworld is not a legal entity, so cannot open a bank account among other things we cannot do.

We did look at becoming a legal entity and whilst it would be relatively easy to incorporate  a Limited Company, that brings a lot of things in train:    Returns to Companies House , HMRC paperwork, ( my own limited company had a filing cabinet drawer full of HMRC stuff within a week of incorporation),  filed accounts and more.

Not worth it.

Nor can we easily become a charity or CIO.  We just dont tick enough boxes, and again, there is massive additional admin overhead for little gain.

N

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you to all those who kindly donated, much appreciated! We invest all monies received to maintain the site and depend on our Patrons who allow us to do this while being 100% ad free. More details will be posted in Nigel's next financial update. 

For anyone who would like to donate, you may of course do so by clicking the secure link below:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/store/category/9-please-donate/

Thanks again :)

• Greenie 2