Coventry Victor single cylinder diesel

truckcab79

Featured Posts

See pics.  This is the engine in our new (to us) narrowboat.   Other than the pics I know nothing about it so would appreciate a few pointers and direction to some reading material.  

Went to the seller today to have a lesson on the starting procedure.  All seems quite simple(ish) but it didn’t want to start. I think a combination of water in diesel, their unfamiliarity with it and the fact that the gear lever slops about and ‘neutral’ is a bit hit and miss so initially I think we were trying to start it in gear. 

Got it started and running nicely on tickover with the help of some easy-start eventually. 

Starter motor is also a dynamo (which doesn’t work) and someone has tried to fit an alternator in the past but not sure how they thought they were going to run a belt to it??  

Starter is sticky and engages about half the time.

Any pointers or leads for replacement parts appreciated.  Guy working on it said parts were pretty much unavailable but also honest enough to say he didn’t know much about them so that may or may not be the case.  

They’ve got a few thing to sort before we take delivery. Happy to keep the original engine if I can make it reliable.

Many thanks. IMG_8897.thumb.jpeg.a677a108020812adc37641c5355e0e24.jpeg

More pics to follow. Need to reduce file size.  

Dynastart is an inefficient antique, even if working it will not keep your batteries charged properly, fix a separate alternator.

It won't last long if there is water in the fuel. Needs sorting PDQ.

Its an old uncommon engine now, as far as I know there is nothing available, the last one I saw was over 20 years ago and that was a twin.

It looks like it could be a money pit, messy wiring, suspect engine, bilge full of rusty water and ballast, dead disconnected battery etc.

I hope you bought it very cheap.

IMG_8903.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

IMG_8901.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Dynastart is an inefficient antique, even if working it will not keep your batteries charged properly, fix a separate alternator.

It won't last long if there is water in the fuel. Needs sorting PDQ.

Its an old uncommon engine now, as far as I know there is nothing available, the last one I saw was over 20 years ago and that was a twin.

It looks like it could be a money pit, messy wiring, suspect engine, bilge full of rusty water and ballast, dead disconnected battery etc.

I hope you bought it very cheap.

There is an alternator there but can see how they intended to drive it.  

Like any old engine bought it knowing it runs but not for how long. Chance you take really.  Hull survey on boat was excellent which was all we really wanted to know.  

If it’s serviceable then I’m happy to keep it for now but need more info. 

many thanks. 

Heck, what a wreck, how much did they pay you to take it away? Never seen a hand start on a Victor, nowhere to fashion one on either. Noah was the last user!

Where is the hand start then? On the end of the crank?  Difficult to see how you would use it if so.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Other pics now attached.  You can just about see the hand-start.  

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Heck, what a wreck, how much did they pay you to take it away?

Thankfully it isn’t.  Sound hull and a stripped cabin so the blank canvas that we were looking for.  Don’t be that forum person whose only input is to run stuff down.  ‘Nothing nice to say….’  As my mum always told me.  😂

• Greenie 2

Like Tracey says, how much did they pay you to take it away?!!!

I'd start by figuring out how to use the hand start and use a blowlamp up the air intake instead of Ezy Start if it still won't go. Provided you can start it reliably, you can then concentrate on clearing up the mess around it and sorting out the electrics.

A rebuild of the starter motor is probably necesary from what you say. Budget £400-ish

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Like Tracey says, how much did they pay you to take it away?!!!

I'd start by figuring out how to use the hand start and use a blowlamp up the air intake instead of Ezy Start if it still won't go. Provided you can start it reliably, you can then concentrate on clearing up the mess around it and sorting out the electrics.

Precisely our intention.  If anyone actually has any information on the engine I’d appreciate it 

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Seen this?   http://www.coventryvictor.free-online.co.uk/

Where it is, has Jeremy Clarkson got a finger in it?   

Thanks for the link.  I presume from that site and the plate on the engine that we have a single cylinder WD3. I’ll contact them and see if they have a manual as they seem to suggest might be the case. It’ll be a good start.  

1 minute ago, truckcab79 said:

Thanks for the link.  I presume from that site and the plate on the engine that we have a single cylinder WD3. I’ll contact them and see if they have a manual as they seem to suggest might be the case. It’ll be a good start.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Victor

As mentioned the starter needs to come off, be stripped down new brushes and possibly also rewound. 

Not a particularly cheap job. It looks like it has been underwater or under some drips from the deckboards. 

The alternator is odd. Presumably there is a crankshaft pulley in the little opening to the left of the alternator to the belt drive. 

Nice little engine if it all works but could be scrap being realistic. 

Just thinking what else they put these on. Not sure if it was just for marine use or other things had them. 

If that is a dynostart it seems awkward to remove the belt(s). 

Is it definitely a dynostart rather than a bendix starter motor?

Its curious. I once looked at a boat with one of these in it but never investigated it any further.

ETA its not a dynostart it is a Bendix type stater motor. 

ebay

s-l1200.jpg

And the alternator may be original and intended to be used with a link belt of some sort. 

I bet there is a pulley in that little opening.

IMG_20230913_132356.jpg.b6c5090bf8acfb2704c4c77f22717571.jpg

Someone has assumed that all starter motors have solenoids on the side. The Bendix type don't. They throw the pinion forward by inertia on a special helix with a spring to disengage. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

DH Day will sort the starter motor/ dynastart and the regulator box if you cannot find someone good locally.

Lancashire Rotating Electrical are also good, and a  CA45 starter which magnet man pictures is right up their street. 

That said, I think it *is* a dynastart.  A bendix starter motor would be fixed so as to drive direct on the flywheel with a 'large' ring gear to give good torque multiplication.  Yours is driving via a housing which appears to be for belts.  Handy when you want geared down one way ( starting)  and up the other (charging) .  You would also expect a factory fitted charging thing ( dynamo or alternator) if a starter motor is installed.

Put your Google fu to work.   Also have a look through Stationary Engine magazine and Old Glory as these were much more common in non marine versions as power for things like milking machines and chaff cutters so there are a few on the stationary engine circuit.

Manuals and parts list:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.agrimanuals.com/coventry-victor-engine-ad3-mkiii-and-wd3-mkiii-operators-manual-and-parts-list-42209-p.asp&ved=2ahUKEwiG0b-bzKeBAxVXV0EAHZtkCi84ChAWegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw2O2fWY2PvqdTMy0fvSBeRZ

May also be on the Internal Fire website.

Stationary engine parts list some injection bits.

I think I would be planning to lift the engine and box out temporarily so as to get at the rust and then would do a full re-install from scratch.

Get the diesel tank cleaned whilst you are at it.

N

• Greenie 2

Always nice to see something different in a boat- hope you get it running without to much hassle/cost.

Though different usually equates to eye wateringly expensive.

IF you like this type of engine and it does become too expensive to repair/keep running then there are alternatives-a Sabb single for instance wouldnt be a huge amount and spares are available (albeit expensive). So not all doom and gloom.

Good luck- put a vid up when you get it running🙂

The housing around the starter motor end is deceptive. I'm sure there is a ring gear in there. If you look carefully and ignore the odd shaped casting it is large enough to accommodate a flywheel and ring gear. 

The starter I pictured is advertised for a Coventry Victor WD3. The OP engine says WD3 on the top of it. 

I also think the alternator is factory fitted and was driven by a pulley from the crankshaft at the gearbox end..

If it was a dynostart how would you get the belt(s) off for servicing ? 

Also if it was a dynastart it would need a way to tension the belts. 

I'm sure that when you unbolt and withdraw it you will find it is a bendix type starter motor. 

The more I look at the pictures the more I like that engine. Looks a mess but in reality it might be a real gem. 

Do keep us updated on progress.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also if it was a dynastart it would need a way to tension the belts. 

I'm sure that when you unbolt and withdraw it you will find it is a bendix type starter motor. 

The more I look at the pictures the more I like that engine. Looks a mess but in reality it might be a real gem. 

Do keep us updated on progress.

Pretty sure it is.  When trying to start it would occasionally spin  but wasn’t engaged. In my limited knowledge that’s because the bendix spring is stuck?

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

As mentioned the starter needs to come off, be stripped down new brushes and possibly also rewound. 

Not a particularly cheap job. It looks like it has been underwater or under some drips from the deckboards. 

The alternator is odd. Presumably there is a crankshaft pulley in the little opening to the left of the alternator to the belt drive. 

Nice little engine if it all works but could be scrap being realistic. 

Just thinking what else they put these on. Not sure if it was just for marine use or other things had them. 

If that is a dynostart it seems awkward to remove the belt(s). 

Is it definitely a dynostart rather than a bendix starter motor?

Its curious. I once looked at a boat with one of these in it but never investigated it any further.

ETA its not a dynostart it is a Bendix type stater motor. 

ebay

s-l1200.jpg

And the alternator may be original and intended to be used with a link belt of some sort. 

I bet there is a pulley in that little opening.

IMG_20230913_132356.jpg.b6c5090bf8acfb2704c4c77f22717571.jpg

Someone has assumed that all starter motors have solenoids on the side. The Bendix type don't. They throw the pinion forward by inertia on a special helix with a spring to disengage. 

Good call.  Do you have a link to that starter motor or is that just a generic photo?   

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I reckon its not been submerged but there have been drips from above onto the starter motor. Dodgy deck boards. 

They got it going and running nicely on tickover according to the OP so its not dead. 

Deck boards are brand new so reasonably certain that the old ones have been rotten or missing.