Featured Posts

Just now, magnetman said:

@truckcab79

It was this one. I found it via google search

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261141293248

Beat me to it   Just did same   Thanks again    👍

Just now, magnetman said:

£440 is a bit mad.

It seems to me if you have an old Landy you'll have no trouble disassembling one of these and putting in new brushes etc.

Yea. It spins up every time just isn’t always engaging. Don’t  think it’s terminal.  
Cheers. 

It probably just wants new brushes and the commutator given a good clean, wiring connections cleaned up and the bendix end lubricating.

I reckon it will work if you do these things and there is no need to pay someone several hundred quid to repaint it...

"sticky bendix starter motor forum" as a search term will probably get proper advice.

Engine looks to be skin tank cooled so probably in good order if there is antifreeze around.

Could be a really nice item !

If the motor is spinning alright then might not need new brushes obviously.

Someone says "clean bendix with petrol or carb cleaner then blow out with hp air and don't put oil in it, it needs to be bone dry ! "

Which is interesting. So no lube oil or anything. I imagine it needs to be very clean and oil would introduce drag into the mechanism.

Given the state of the starter maybe it is rusty.

Strip down in order.

Edited by magnetman

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It probably just wants new brushes and the commutator given a good clean, wiring connections cleaned up and the bendix end lubricating.

I reckon it will work if you do these things and there is no need to pay someone several hundred quid to repaint it...

"sticky bendix starter motor forum" as a search term will probably get proper advice.

Engine looks to be skin tank cooled so probably in good order if there is antifreeze around.

Could be a really nice item !

If the motor is spinning alright then might not need new brushes obviously.

Someone says "clean bendix with petrol or carb cleaner then blow out with hp air and don't put oil in it, it needs to be bone dry ! "

Which is interesting. So no lube oil or anything. I imagine it needs to be very clean and oil would introduce drag into the mechanism.

Strip down in order.

Sounds like a plan. 👍

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

(snip)

Strip down in order.

If there is oil on the Bendix, it collects dust/crap which eventually stops the gear moving forwards. Possibly more relevant to road vehicles, when the main source of dust is the clutch.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Lancashire Rotating Electrical will sort that starter for a lot less and it will be right. I have never beaten them with a repair yet.

Cheers. Will give them a go if needed. Have refurbished a handful in the past so I’ll give it a go myself if I can.  Best way to learn.  

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

If there is oil on the Bendix, it collects dust/crap which eventually stops the gear moving forwards. Possibly more relevant to road vehicles, when the main source of dust is the clutch.

Yep. I suspect it’ll be more likely to be rusted judging by the condition of the rest of it.  

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

Yea. It spins up every time just isn’t always engaging.

In that case we can rule out it being a Dynastart. A Dynastart never needs to disengage. 

Also my own Dynastart is completely different, looking very similar to a dynamo but in particular, it has a vee belt pulley on the output/input shaft and is mounted and the belt tensioned exactly like a dynamo.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

For a Gleniffer I can understand it but that little Coventry Victor is a different kettle of fish ! 

Gleniffer is one of the best marine engines ever produced in history. 

You can have it for £30k! 

Here's one running. And this one has a raised hand start.

According to the discussion at https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/t6516-coventry-victor-diesel they have something of a reputation for being poor starters - hot air up the inlet or easy start are suggested - but once warmed up they will run all day and restart easily.

And a nice sounding engine too. Definitely worth keeping if you can.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

In that case we can rule out it being a Dynastart. A Dynastart never needs to disengage. 

Also my own Dynastart is completely different, looking very similar to a dynamo but in particular, it has a vee belt pulley on the output/input shaft and is mounted and the belt tensioned exactly like a dynamo.

You can have it for £30k! 

Is it a DB2? 

Not a common engine.

Very nice. I can keep it with my DB5.

In one of the garages. 

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Like Tracey says, how much did they pay you to take it away?!!!

I'd start by figuring out how to use the hand start and use a blowlamp up the air intake instead of Ezy Start if it still won't go. Provided you can start it reliably, you can then concentrate on clearing up the mess around it and sorting out the electrics.

A rebuild of the starter motor is probably necesary from what you say. Budget £400-ish

Ref the blow-torch.  Same principle as glow plugs warming the chamber I assume?   
How long for?  A few seconds?   
Presumably still adding oil to the pot to start it?  

Incidentally the oil for brass pot. Does the type matter?   Mechanic was using 20/50 classic engine oil. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Is it a DB2? 

Not a common engine.

Very nice. I can keep it with my DB5.

In one of the garages. 

Yep, a DB2. I only know of one other, also owned by a forum member.

I think there is a DB3 in the Internal Fire museum.

Is your DB5 a Gleniffer or an Aston Martin? 

3 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

How long for?  A few seconds?   

Just wave the flame around the air intake whilst cranking it over, to supply the combustion chamber with very hot air. It will prolly fire immediately. 

Once running move the flame away. It might stop igniting in whcih case put the flame back and it will startt again. Leet it run with the hot air for a few seconds then slowly move the flame further away keeping it running. Works a treat on a moody diesel!! 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Going back to the Coventry Victor is there a chance this engine is mean to be started with those explosive Zundfix 'cigarette' type starters that are used on Sabb engines? 

I doubt it. Those are used on hot bulb semi diesels I thought. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don't think Gleniffer made a 5. 

They deffly made a four, I've seen one.

Being proper marine I imagined they made them all the way up to 8 just like the Gardner 2L8 of the same era, but I'm only assuming. 

Or is it an 8L2? lol! 

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

Just wave the flame around the air intake whilst cranking it over, to supply the combustion chamber with very hot air. It will prolly fire immediately. 

Once running move the flame away. It might stop igniting in whcih case put the flame back and it will startt again. Leet it run with the hot air for a few seconds then slowly move the flame further away keeping it running. Works a treat on a moody diesel!! 

I doubt it. Those are used on hot bulb semi diesels I thought. 

They deffly made a four, I've seen one.

Being proper marine I imagined they made them all the way up to 8 just like the Gardner 2L8 of the same era, but I'm only assuming. 

Or is it an 8L2? lol! 

Gardner L2 : 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. 

Gardner L3: 3,4,5,6 and 8. 

(from memory)

Gleniffer did DB2,3,4,6 and 8 I don't think they did a 5. I became very interested in Gleniffer about 30 yars ago while doing my Marine Engineering BTEC. 

Gleniffer also did some bigger blown engines as well including some V8 diesels if I recall correctly. 

They are nice engines which use the Russell Newbery patented clerestory combustion chamber and horizontal valve gear. The real thing but getting awkward for parts these days. 

as for the Zundfix cigarettes they were used on Sabb 4 stroke full diesel engines. 

Edited by magnetman

I agree with Bengo - get the thing out and on to a bench where you can sort it out. Then you can clean out all the rust/broken ballast and sort out the bilge.  

if you can't get the engine sorted your going to have to lift it out anyway.  I bet you can lift that out on your own or at least without needing too much in the way of heavy lifting tackle ! 

i have to say the propshaft looks like its rather small - must be an egg whisk on the end of it, but to me that engine looks in good nick (relatively) , its obviously the original paint which i think bodes well.   

good luck...

As the OP said they got it going and it was running nicely at tickover one wonders if perhaps it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie. Clean up the fuel tank new filter and sort the starter motor out. Might be fine. 

Tempting to get it out for a good clean up but on the other hand...

I note the starter is mounted on the back of the housing........it may be opposite rotation.......these kind of CA 45 were also fitted to IH diesel tractors and are very ,very hard to find .........the CA 45 has a spiral on the armature shaft  and in the pinion ........it must be the correct hand for the rotation direction.