Hi guys my girlfriend and me have just bought a 52ft david piper boat and we want to know which insulation to use

tyrone1990

Featured Posts

On 12/09/2023 at 10:29, nicknorman said:

Insulation thickness: Well in principle, the more the better. However within the limited confines of a boat, space is at a premium and even an inch lost each side is significant. I would just go out to the existing batterns on the side. Looking at the amount of window there is probably not much point in insulating the cabin sides very well, when a lot of heat will be lost through the windows. Depending on the headroom you need / have available, I might be inclined to put a bit more on the roof so eg 25mm on the side (or whatever the battern thickness is) and 50mm on the roof (adding extra batterns if necessary). Not just to keep the heat in, but a steel narrowboat's roof can get very hot in the sun and you don't want all that heat inside on a hot day.

I think with diy sprayfoam the difficulty is getting an even fill just up to the batterns and no more. Otherwise you have to spend a lot of time and mess cutting the foam back so that it isn't protruding beyond the batterns.

Would he have to remove the original deckhead, because that has to be the best way to find rust and treat it, I'm not sure how the professionals would manage with existing clutter, without dropping the headroom significantly. To my mind it all has come down first.

Have they already been allocated?

I don't know how it all works these days but seem to recall that in London (in the sense of places with a postcode starting with E,N,NW,SE or SW) the CRT don't do the winter towpath moorings any more. 

Maybe they do and some people think Uxbridge is in London !

On 14/09/2023 at 17:16, tyrone1990 said:

One thing I was wondering is if it is necessary to repaint the inside of the boat everywhere or just treating the areas that had rust on them?

It isn't essential, but sometimes it's just quicker. When the rust is only breaking through a decent layer of paint due to scrapes or having been cut back for fittings then touching in is easy, but when it's rusting because the original coat is thin, in the end trying to find and deal with every rust spot takes longer than just rubbing down, treating and painting the whole thing. You could probably do an adequate job of rubbing down, treating and painting the whole interior in a weekend (use rollers for most of it and brushes round the edges).

Alec

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Have they already been allocated?

I don't know how it all works these days but seem to recall that in London (in the sense of places with a postcode starting with E,N,NW,SE or SW) the CRT don't do the winter towpath moorings any more. 

Winter mooring permits available on the 3rd Oct on first come basis. Link below.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/moorings/winter-moorings

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It is for ULEZ purposes. 

Would be amusing if that nice Mr Khan extended it to include the canals.

£12.50 per day per boat. That might help reduce the attractiveness of living aboard in the capital.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

£12.50 per day per boat. That might help reduce the attractiveness of living aboard in the capital.

Not sure about that.

There have been a couple of boats who spotted that the £25/day overstay charge on visitor moorings effectively grants permission to stay if you pay so do.

Also £12.50 per day is ~£380 a month.  You won't find many other places to live at that rate in that London area.

I don't think the £25 a day moorings arr long term. 

My inner London residential mooring is more like £40 a day but we have full services including a postman and a council tax collector. 

I still prefer the country estate and have been considering retiring here for elf reasons post haste. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I don't reckon its worth wasting time painting the inside of a secondhand boat.

Too much agro and unlikely to work anyway.

IF you make sure the boat is dry then rust can't happen.

I think it depends on how far you are stripping back anyway and what you use as a paint system. A coat of surface tolerant epoxy will do a good job for an extremely long time whereas cheap gloss over the top of the rust and you might as well not bother.

Alec

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

I realise it is probably a joke but just in case it isn't are you able to elaborate on this? 

Continuous mooring licences are like hens' teeth. 

Have you done an Equality Act thing? is the other half about to produce another third? 

It may have been a freudian slip. 

sorry guys I didn't explain it very well
we have a continuous cruising licence 
you can tell I'm a newbie lol
Fat chance of getting a reasonably priced mooring nowadays so obviously we have gone for the cheaper option which is inconvenient but we think works out better money wise at least 

for the inside I have been advised and ordered Jotun Jotamastic 90 which is 79 for 4.55 litres but I think will be worth it to get ensure that it's done properly 

I don't know what other people have paid per square meter for closed cell foam insulation but we've been quoted around £20-18 per square meter for it depending whether its 25mm or 50mm

The Jotamastic is  a two pack epoxy, so you need to read the data sheet.

Once mixed It will go off fairly quickly so you either need to have all the area ready, measure the area, see how much you need, then weigh it out in proportion if you don't need it all at once. 

Have ready a penguin shaped paint kettle if possible  and mixing stick, Brushes are better for awkward corners, rollers for bigger areas, but you probably know that.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, tyrone1990 said:

for the inside I have been advised and ordered Jotun Jotamastic 90 which is 79 for 4.55 litres but I think will be worth it to get ensure that it's done properly 

Make sure you buy the right type of paint rollers. Ordinary B&Q ones will disintegrate. We used Rota Solvent Resistant Roller Sleeves from Toolstation - other outlets and brands available.

Alec

• Greenie 1

On 14/09/2023 at 21:28, ditchcrawler said:

I am just watching two girls who are doing an old Springer on TV on floating homes. More 4 They were going to do it for £10k in 6 months

Its now for sale on Facebook

[AS FEATURED ON MY FLOATING HOME - CHANNEL 4]
Built by Springer in 1986.
A fantastic opportunity for anyone looking for a project boat with lots of potential. Due to a number of personal challenges we are unfortunately no longer able to continue with renovations.
We have fully stripped out the interior and installed an enclosed steel bow, expanding the liveable space inside. The cabin has been stripped back to bare metal inside (above gunwhales), treated and coated with red oxide, insulated and had new plywood boards fitted across most of the internal space. The exterior has also been stripped back and repainted.
The boat is ready to be finished to your specifications, without the hassle of stripping out.
No boat safety certificate as it’s empty internally, and BMC 1.5 engine not currently running, but not seized.
Price reflects these issues and I am open to reasonable offers for a quick sale.
The hull is in good condition (and was blacked within last 3 years) and the boat comes with the following:
2x 100w solar panels
1250V inverter
3 Leisure batteries and 1 Yuasa starter battery
Engine serviced at the end of 2022 with new core plugs and a new head gasket fitted, and filters cleaned.
2 new anodes fitted in June 2018
Plumbing and infrastructure for kitchen and bathroom including shower pump and disconnected calorifier
Plumbing and infrastructure for pump out toilet if desired
Large water tank in bow
Multifuel wood burner and brand new chimney ready for fitting
Original windows - removed, cleaned, treated and resealed
Fibreglass insulation below the gunwales.
The boat can be sold with materials for renovation, including a large amount of plywood, paint, electrical parts and a couple of pieces of furniture (fold out table and small IKEA sofa) as can be seen in the photos.
I’m open to reasonable offers so if you’re interested and need more info then please get in touch. Viewings available.
image.png.7a6384dc473034bdb70d8b15d5788372.png
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

A fantastic opportunity for anyone looking for a project boat with lots of potential. Due to a number of personal challenges we are unfortunately no longer able to continue with renovations.
We have fully stripped out the interior and installed an enclosed steel bow, expanding the liveable space inside. The cabin has been stripped back to bare metal inside (above gunwhales), treated and coated with red oxide, insulated and had new plywood boards fitted across most of the internal space. The exterior has also been stripped back and repainted.
The boat is ready to be finished to your specifications, without the hassle of stripping out.
No boat safety certificate as it’s empty internally, and BMC 1.5 engine not currently running, but not seized.
Price reflects these issues and I am open to reasonable offers for a quick sale.
The hull is in good condition (and was blacked within last 3 years) and the boat comes with the following:
2x 100w solar panels
1250V inverter
Engine serviced at the end of 2022 with new core plugs and a new head gasket fitted, and filters cleaned.
Plumbing and infrastructure for kitchen and bathroom including shower pump and disconnected calorifier
Large water tank in bow
The boat can be sold with materials for renovation, including a large amount of plywood, paint, electrical parts and a couple of pieces of furniture (fold out table and small IKEA sofa) as can be seen in the photos.
I’m open to reasonable offers so if you’re interested and need more info then please get in touch. Viewings available.

That was a quick decision, only yesterday they seamed to love the idea of London boat life, what a change of mind in only 24hrs. No mention of the 2x electric rams In the ad, must be keeping those and putting them to other uses.

The worst programme ever, showed the type of new London boater quite well though😂

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

2x 100w solar panels
1250V inverter
Large water tank in bow

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1829339870815308?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ae2e70a1f-4485-4575-b349-d362f55cc9c3

Interesting standard of finish, I'm thinking of buying a blunt axe and calling myself a boat fitter.

Its certainly news to me that project boats don't need a safety certificate. 

Edited by Eeyore

4 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Perhaps they hoped the programme might help them sell the skip boat for a better price. If so it doesn't seem to have worked too well.

So.

14k, minus what it costs to remove the hideous and poorly constructed fwd extension, and put right any damage caused.

Minus what it costs to take the boat back to bare metal internally, as what they have done looks substandard.

Shall we call it 4k. Ok, I will be nice and round it up to 5k! 

27 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1829339870815308?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ae2e70a1f-4485-4575-b349-d362f55cc9c3

Interesting standard of finish, I'm thinking of buying a blunt axe and calling myself a boat fitter.

Its certainly news to me that project boats don't need a safety certificate. 

If there is no electricity, gas, or fuel sytems installed then there is nothing for the examiner to examine. No need for a BSS.

Same as you don't need a BSS fo an 'open boat'** powered by an outboard.

Or even a boat with an open cabin (aka 'cuddy)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If there is no electricity, gas, or fuel sytems installed then there is nothing for the examiner to examine. No need for a BSS.

Same as you don't need a BSS fo an 'open boat'** powered by an outboard.

Or even a boat with an open cabin (aka 'cuddy)

I'm pretty sure you need a BSS on a boat with an enclosed cabin though, even if the entire checklist is marked "Not Present"

And the correct labels on the water and diesel filler, obviously!

Less sarcastically, an enclosed cabin will need fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, CO alarms.  If there's a battery to run eg lights and water pump that will need to comply.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm pretty sure you need a BSS on a boat with an enclosed cabin though, even if the entire checklist is marked "Not Present"

And the correct labels on the water and diesel filler, obviously!

Less sarcastically, an enclosed cabin will need fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, CO alarms.  If there's a battery to run eg lights and water pump that will need to comply.

You type faster than me 😎

Exempt and Non-Private Boats

For a craft to be exempt from holding a valid BSS Certificate it must meet the following criteria:

• No permanently installed engine or motor, therefore must be propelled by an outboard only
  • No appliances installed for cooking, lighting, heating or refridgeration
  • Open boats only, therefore no small sleeping cabins

From C&RT :

In the interests of public safety, boats on Canal & River Trust waters must have a valid Boat Safety Scheme Certificate. However, a certificate is not required if all of the following apply: The boat: has no gas appliances or electrical system installed and has no engine* and is propelled solely by an outboard motor or by physical means such as towing, rowing, poling or horse power and has no free discharge to the waterway from a toilet appliance or holding tank *

A boat may be considered to have no engine if:

(a) It has a diesel engine that has been permanently decommissioned in such a way that itcannot reasonably be put back into use and

(b) Any diesel fuel tank has had all connections, except the vent, properly sealed