Computer Fan - Bilges - Noisy!

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hi,

I've drilled a hole in the floor, (near the water pump), to fit a computer fan to create an airflow. When I fit and run the fan, it seems to vibrate the wood it is screwed to and is very noisy.

Any suggestions to quieten it down?

Can you not fashion a rubber door stop as a mount?

Screenshot_20230906-125948_Chrome.jpg

23 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hi,

I've drilled a hole in the floor, (near the water pump), to fit a computer fan to create an airflow. When I fit and run the fan, it seems to vibrate the wood it is screwed to and is very noisy.

disconnect the fan

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hi,

Mount it on small rubber washers.

38 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Hi,

What kind of fan? (size, rpm, airflow, make/model...)

Some are much quieter than others while moving the same amount of air -- bigger diameter and slower will always be quieter for the same airflow. Noctua fans are good...

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Can those who are talking about rubber blocks and door stops explain how using those would ensure air is drawn from the bilge, rather than in from around the base of the fan?

The fan could be encased/shrouded in something the same depth in foam or similar.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

You man as I described, I assume.

If you mean 'you mean' then yes.

I was think about crafting some thing from the oasis stuff you use for planting but I am not sure about is flammability which could be an issue in that particular application.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Hi,

How big is the fan? They don’t normally make much noise/ vibration. I used one in the bathroom mushroom vent. Just ground the corners of to make it fit with no rubber cushioning. Quite enough and no vibration.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

And don't use a noisy high-speed fan, there are *huge* differences between them... 😉

Indeed people often fit these types of fan behind the fridges in their caravans /motorhomes to boost thhe airflow over the fridge via. the external vents thus aiding fridge cooling when on the continent. (Or even in the UK on days like today!).

I've rarely if ever heard people complain about the noise. But I dont think its the noise of the fan itself but rather a vibration/resonence that is the issue in the OP.

Perhaps the OP could confirm.

21 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Indeed people often fit these types of fan behind the fridges in their caravans /motorhomes to boost thhe airflow over the fridge via. the external vents thus aiding fridge cooling when on the continent. (Or even in the UK on days like today!).

I've rarely if ever heard people complain about the noise. But I dont think its the noise of the fan itself but rather a vibration/resonence that is the issue in the OP.

Perhaps the OP could confirm.

Whatever the cause, higher-speed fans cause more noise (both acoustic and vibration) than lower-speed ones. High-quality ones (e.g. Noctua) also tend to be better balanced and produce less vibration than cheap no-name ones. Anyone who has built their own PCs will be well aware of this... 😉

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

Whatever the cause, higher-speed fans cause more noise (both acoustic and vibration) than lower-speed ones. High-quality ones (e.g. Noctua) also tend to be better balanced and produce less vibration than cheap no-name ones. Anyone who has built their own PCs will be well aware of this... 😉

Indeed, its a very long time since I've assembled a PC from scratch or upgraded one.

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The bearings go quickly on cheap computer fans. I think they are just basic plain bearings and given the fan is supposed to come on and off they are not designed to last all that long. 

In terms of running hours. 

High-quality fans like Noctua are rated at 150000hrs MTBF, which is 17 years continuously -- but of course they cost more than cheap no-name ones. You get what you pay for... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The bearings go quickly on cheap computer fans. I think they are just basic plain bearings and given the fan is supposed to come on and off they are not designed to last all that long. 

In terms of running hours. 

I once bought a rather expensive solar charge controller from Taiwan. Cost me 200 quid for 60A iirc correctly. The fan packed up after about a year, and I couldn't find a replacement of the right size, though oiling it seemed to help for a while.

Yours for 50 quid.

Edited by rusty69
this heat is affecing my speeling ability

13 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Indeed, its a very long time since I've assembled a PC from scratch or upgraded one.

I'm still using the last one I built about 5 years ago, it was leading-edge then and is still more than adequate for everything I do today.... 🙂