Wigan lock 69 cill failure

IanD

Featured Posts

If you need  short break while in the Adlington area, Rivington is a lovely place to visit and has this place which comes highly recommended https://www.rivingtonbrewing.co.uk/

Not impossible with a couple of reasonably short walks and a short very regular bus journey. 

In Adlington I'd probably prefer to moor on the towpath opposite the visitor moorings.

Visitor moorings at Red Rock are quiet. Not near any pubs, only a mini shop down the hill, interesting/annoying traffic lights from the road bridge, but we have enjoyed quiet stopovers there. 

If you want a basic stopover near Chorley the towpath just past our moorings is used occasionally. A fair few walkers, bikers etc but not seen many idiots. I'll try and post a pic below. Between 74a, past moorings and before the winding hole. 

I wouldn't bother with Cowling Bridge. Continuous Moorers have set up camp apparently   Screenshot_20230918_235611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.56b3330cb0475375e3454c690d7c473d.jpg

Edited by Ianws
Clarity and typos

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Wigan flight closing due to too much rain.... dont make me laugh. 

Flood locks in Yorkshire butty land sure but don't think it's likely on the right side of the pennines 

Don’t make me laugh, we’re not talking about the Wigan Flight. Were talking where his boat’s being built, top of the Tinsley Flight which leads to the River Don, which closes if the river is too high. 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

19 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Don’t make me laugh, we’re not talking about the Wigan Flight. Were talking where his boat’s being built, top of the Tinsley Flight which leads to the River Don, which closes if the river is too high. 

Ahh you must be related to my wife she starts talking about a completely unrelated subject half way through a conversation.  My apologies that my crystal ball didn't pick.up that you were referring to  a completely unrelated Flight hundreds of miles away....

38 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Ahh you must be related to my wife she starts talking about a completely unrelated subject half way through a conversation.  My apologies that my crystal ball didn't pick.up that you were referring to  a completely unrelated Flight hundreds of miles away....

Most of the people on here must be related to your wife, as most talk about completely unrelated subjects on the Threads, last time I looked it was on about Beer festival’s and pubs 🍻🍻

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

If that happens I won't be going anywhere via *any* of the four possible routes until it opens again... 😞

Again, thanks to all for the mooring suggestions, very helpful 🙂

P.S. Long range forecast isn't showing much rain in the first half of October, but we all know how reliable these predictions are... 😉

Edited by IanD

Awaiting tomorrow's update with anticipation. If it's not fixed by October 6th it's the Rochdale kicking and screaming. That will be the 3rd year in a row we haven't been able to get back over the L&L.
#sackRichardParry
Let's have someone who knows how to manage waterways 

• Greenie 1

Update on 22/09/2023:

Our engineers have now been able to safely enter the lock chamber at Lock 69 on the Wigan Flight to fully assess the works required. We have noted significant damage to the cill, much worse than initially anticipated.

Our team is now working to remove the damaged concrete apron and cill so we are able to clear the affected area and get to a sound base. Once this has been done, we will know more on how long the repairs will take.

We apologise for the continued inconvenience this is causing our customers and a further update will be provided by Friday 29 September.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Update on 22/09/2023:

Our engineers have now been able to safely enter the lock chamber at Lock 69 on the Wigan Flight to fully assess the works required. We have noted significant damage to the cill, much worse than initially anticipated.

Our team is now working to remove the damaged concrete apron and cill so we are able to clear the affected area and get to a sound base. Once this has been done, we will know more on how long the repairs will take.

We apologise for the continued inconvenience this is causing our customers and a further update will be provided by Friday 29 September.

Kilby lock had a none existing cill back in July. They managed to sort of fix it in a week (still pixxing out) but they were under pressure with the boating season. Hopefully it will be sorted in over a week fingers crossed🤞or it's the Rochdale for us 😬

I was speaking to a couple of CaRT bods today in Burscough and they are of the view that it is unlikely to be a quick fix sorry to say. We were planning on heading across towards Leeds on the L&L but that is now not looking likely :(

10 minutes ago, PCSB said:

I was speaking to a couple of CaRT bods today in Burscough and they are of the view that it is unlikely to be a quick fix sorry to say. We were planning on heading across towards Leeds on the L&L but that is now not looking likely :(

I better start on the vallium now to prepare 🤣🤣 hope for the best plan for the worst.  Do you know if they are working over the weekend while the weather is looking fine? 

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

I better start on the vallium now to prepare 🤣🤣 hope for the best plan for the worst.  Do you know if they are working over the weekend while the weather is looking fine? 

I did ask that question, they weren't sure tbh. Not sure what we will be doing tomorrow we may head that way, if we do I'll take a walk over.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Update on 22/09/2023:

Great update letting us know when the next update is.
Rumour says they will attempt a temporary fix. If it's not going to reopen during the first week in October, it's the swamp called the Rochdale for us. That's if C&RT can break their own record and keep it open for more than a few days at a time. On a positive note, it gets very nice once you reach the Yorkshire side of Summit.

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Rumour says they will attempt a temporary fix. If it's not going to reopen during the first week in October, it's the swamp called the Rochdale for us. That's if C&RT can break their own record and keep it open for more than a few days at a time. On a positive note, it gets very nice once you reach the Yorkshire side of Summit.

Yep a better class of shopping trolley and track shorts bottoms 🛒😁

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We'll be coming the other way about a week later, hopefully Wigan will be open by then -- if not, the Rochdale beckons...

13 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Yep a better class of shopping trolley and track shorts bottoms 🛒😁

I really do want to return up there, 

the Rochdale is great, 

but I know I’ll get stuck again,

for a year or so,

Stuck because I love it there!

Good boozers and good people. 
And stunning scenery 👍

Last time I went through Harecastle tunnel I didn’t  get home for four years. 

Edited by Goliath

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I really do want to return up there, 

the Rochdale is great, 

but I know I’ll get stuck again,

for a year or so,

Stuck because I love it there!

Good boozers and good people. 
And stunning scenery 👍

Last time I went through Harecastle tunnel I didn’t  get home for four years. 

Go on. You know it makes sense. 😁 Nice place to stuck. 

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Go on. You know it makes sense. 😁 Nice place to stuck. 

Yorkshire side, definitely. Lancashire side, not so much... 😉

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

depends,

has the Shepherds Rest closed?

I heard a rumour it had. 

If it has that would be a shame, the ex-landlord of the Puzzle Hall only took it over in May... 😞

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Not countyist meself 

all good folk up there. 

Nothing to do with county as such, just the west side is less pleasant with fewer good stopping places -- especially for long periods...