Wigan lock 69 cill failure

IanD

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Great idea, I've got to go to Screwfix anyway -- and a pickaxe handle is a lot stronger than a bit of softwood... 🙂

-- except Screwfix don't seem to sell axe/pickaxe handles any more... 😞

-- but plenty of other places do... 🙂

That'll teach me not to check first.🙂

As a lazy hire boater I wanted a cheapish solution with not much prep involved.  Ours is still in the garage, but being south of the river, probably no good to you, or you'd be welcome to it.

The first lock we used it at was Thornes Flood Lock travelling West.  First lock after Wakefield.

Hope all goes well with your trip.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Those "razor-wire/mattress-type incidents" are a doddle, it's C&RT's track record at keeping it open you need to worry about.
Just so you can prove me wrong I say "we won't get over cos C&RT are hopeless and waste money on blue signs 😆".

Here's a thought if it does go tits-up you can have my mooring and I'll have yours over the winter. 

Where's yours? 🙂

6 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

As that area has been hit by flooding over the last few years, all along the Calder area. Maybe something @IanD should be aware of.

Have you been on the Calder and Hebble?  Especially in flood.I’m sure Ian is well aware of the risks. Kind of you to point it out .

17 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

As that area has been hit by flooding over the last few years, all along the Calder area. Maybe something @IanD should be aware of.

Since the Boxing Day flood of 2015 we have put in a lot of flood defenses to protect both boats and buildings. The last flood in 2021 was higher than 2015 and the rise and fall system coped well. No boats were compromised. We also have a robust flood procedure. I know cos I wrote it and also created an early warning system linked to the EA flood level stations. http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/
When a flood alert is called our flood team spring into action. We usually can predict the highest level to an inch or two and within 30 minutes of the event.
I think even @IanD would be impressed.

Edited by Midnight
speeling
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Have you been on the Calder and Hebble?  Especially in flood.I’m sure Ian is well aware of the risks. Kind of you to point it out .

Only to Mirfield, my boats too big for that area, but I doubt he’ll know all the risks, so it’s better to seek local knowledge for the area so thank you @Midnight

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Only to Mirfield, my boats too big for that area, but I doubt he’ll know all the risks, so it’s better to seek local knowledge for the area so thank you @Midnight

If you can get to Mirfield you can do the whole C&H. Shepley Bridge is one of the tight locks as is Millbank. Even Salterhebble top can be done with care in a 60ft boat even though you need to come back down backwards.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Midnight said:

If you can get to Mirfield you can do the whole C&H. Shepley Bridge is one of the tight locks as is Millbank. Even Salterhebble top can be done with care in a 60ft boat even though you need to come back down backwards.

I certainly hope so, since I'll be going up it -- short stern button and all... 😉

Just now, IanD said:

I certainly hope so, since I'll be going up it -- short stern button and all... 😉

I think you will be fine - wet nose but fine.
Elland is the one to watch out for. That walkway inside the bottom gates has a fair few scars now and I guess there are few bent swan necks about.

8 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I think you will be fine - wet nose but fine.
Elland is the one to watch out for. That walkway inside the bottom gates has a fair few scars now and I guess there are few bent swan necks about.

A wet nose won't bother me, the bow is pretty much watertight and self-draining (see photo) -- one of the reasons for choosing the layout I did, last time I came through Salterhebble there was a veritable fountain from under the top gates which tried to fill up the (57') hire boat well deck, so I knew a 60' would be worse still... 😞

I'll watch out for Elland in particular, I knew one of the locks was especially bad for that problem but wasn't sure which one -- thanks for the warning 🙂

bow.jpg

Edited by IanD

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I was only dropping a 58ft off at the dry dock for survey and blackening, my boat is over 60’, even though I know of a boat that’s been through there which was over 60’, not a narrow though. 

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'll watch out for Elland in particular, I knew one of the locks was especially bad for that problem but wasn't sure which one -- thanks for the warning 🙂

While you are at Toolstation......

axe.jpg

Edited by Midnight

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

....overhanging walkways 😆

I think a battery-powered angle-grinder might be more appropriate. Or a big mains one, got plenty of power... 😉

P.S. Already well equipped in the axe department, thanks... 🙂

axes.jpg

Edited by IanD

Waiting for today's update but not expecting anything positive. A message from @Jon57 , who was today in Wigan, supports the notion that it will take another 3 or 4 weeks and he's now heading to Manchester. We are currently in Lymm so will be attempting to go over the Rochdale starting this weekend.

Not sure if it's old age or paranoia, but every time my email app pings for a stoppage notice I break out into a sweat. 🙏🙏🙏

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Waiting for today's update but not expecting anything positive. A message from @Jon57 , who was today in Wigan, supports the notion that it will take another 3 or 4 weeks and he's now heading to Manchester. We are currently in Lymm so will be attempting to go over the Rochdale starting this weekend.

Not sure if it's old age or paranoia, but every time my email app pings for a stoppage notice I break out into a sweat. 🙏🙏🙏

Cheers for that-Ive just given up on the boat Ive got stuck at Addlington and needed to pick up Sunday. Im sure the notice read 'by Friday 29th' - ah well..

C&H is very pleasant though - enjoy the Rochdale 🙂

13 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Latest update suggests by end of October. Already decided to abandon the L&L and am now in Lymm

From the email 

Update on 29/09/2023:

Works are progressing well to remove the damaged concrete apron and cill at Lock 69 on the Wigan Flight of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and our team will start to install the sub-base next week. Once this is in place, we will then be able to start the repairs.

Due to the works required, we anticipate the repairs will take several weeks with navigation resuming before the end of October.

Our teams will endeavour to advance on this timeframe and a further update on progress made will be provided Friday 6 October.