Wigan lock 69 cill failure

IanD

Featured Posts

I was cycling up the flight  this morning and stopped to assist a narrowboat in lock 69 coming down the flight.

With help from others passers by it took 6 of us to open one top gate to get the boat in the lock.

With all the paddles closed you could see the boat dropping in the lock.

6 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

I was cycling up the flight  this morning and stopped to assist a narrowboat in lock 69 coming down the flight.

With help from others passers by it took 6 of us to open one top gate to get the boat in the lock.

With all the paddles closed you could see the boat dropping in the lock.

There was a report a couple of weeks ago about this filling problem. The cill failure was a new report earlier today (10:44am) from the Wigan flight crew, which I just read was all the same basic issue, and is likely to take weeks to fix rather than days... 😞

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WiganFlightCrew

(hopefully fixed by the time I'm due to go down it in mid-October...)

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

From CaRT stoppage notice -

Teams investigating with an update due on Friday.

Unofficial estimate is at least 10 days, so unlikely to be open this week or next week... 😞

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

The bypass water pumps were being put in place this morning (Saturday) so it looks like the actual repair work will be starting soon.

The dams, security fencing and safety fencing etc were done during the week.

Not exactly rapid progess though if repair work starts on Monday 18th, when it failed on Tuesday 5th... 😞

Let's hope that once they get work underway it won't take too long -- more than a week, say... 😉

32 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

A straighter run would be on a Flat-Bed and simply less hassle.

And much less enjoyable, since it doesn't involve any boating...

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

The Trent’s open for business. 

a straight(ish) run, 

so to speak. 

But also a less enjoyable route than via the L&L. Sometimes it's about the journey, not just getting there... 😉

Edited by IanD

18 hours ago, IanD said:

And much less enjoyable, since it doesn't involve any boating...

But also a less enjoyable route than via the L&L. Sometimes it's about the journey, not just getting there... 😉

But at least you’ll get there in your time slot and now you have your own boat you can use it anytime to go boating, all it takes is a stoppage, just look at this Thread.

Still hoping to be gone 1st week in October?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But at least you’ll get there in your time slot and now you have your own boat you can use it anytime to go boating, all it takes is a stoppage, just look at this Thread.

Still hoping to be gone 1st week in October?

Wigan will be second week in October, hopefully will be open by then. Have other events which can't be moved and restrict when we can do the move...

55 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You also don't want any rain beginning October, too much the Flight closes down and most flood locks to Leeds.

I know, nothing I can do, that's just in the lap of the gods... 😞

(if that happens I'll have to reconsider the other possible routes...)

4 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You also don't want any rain beginning October, too much the Flight closes down and most flood locks to Leeds.

Wigan flight closing due to too much rain.... dont make me laugh. 

Flood locks in Yorkshire butty land sure but don't think it's likely on the right side of the pennines 

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The Rochdale is open. We are heading home up the T&M. The L&L is first choice but the Rochdale is an option. Never had it so good for several years.

Rochdale would be my second choice. Need a handspike though...

The HNC might be possible, though Standedge restrictions/booking make this the third choice. Trent is my least favourite option.

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shame that, there's an enormous beer festival at Middlebrook from the 12th ...

Should be plenty of beer on board... 😉

P.S. Beer festival is also nowhere near the canal, assuming it's the Bolton one!

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Should be plenty of beer on board... 😉

P.S. Beer festival is also nowhere near the canal, assuming it's the Bolton one!

Train from Adlington, two stops ...

Yes, Bolton Wanderers ground.  Usually around 150+ different cask ales as it includes the SIBA North West regional competition.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Missed a station...

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Train from Adlington, one stop ...

Yes, Bolton Wanderers ground.  Usually around 150+ different cask ales as it includes the SIBA North West regional competition.

Hmm, interesting, Adlington is a possible stop around Oct 12th -- was thinking of the Red House VMs and the Bridge Inn, but Adlington station is only a five minute walk away...

Edited by IanD

Just now, IanD said:

Hmm, interesting, Adlington is a possible stop -- was thinking of the Red House VMs and the Bridge Inn, but Adlington station is only a five minute walk away...

The Bridge was dire last year, not been back since.

Chorley has a better selection of alehouses and good pubs, and is only another stop ...

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

The Bridge was dire last year, not been back since.

Chorley has a better selection of alehouses and good pubs, and is only another stop ...

Thanks for the warning -- what was wrong at the Bridge, recent comments look quite good? Any other good mooring suggestions between there and Wigan Top Lock?

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Thanks for the warning -- what was wrong at the Bridge, recent comments look quite good? Any other good mooring suggestions between there and Wigan Top Lock?

Lousy beer.  Not been back this year so no idea if it's better/worse/under new management/turned into flats ...

Depends on what you want from a mooring.  I quite like mooring near the golf course at Haigh Hall, but it's a mile and a bit to anywhere if you need anything.  If you're dashing for home you'll not have time to amble around Haigh Woodland Park anyway.

The VM at the top of Wigan Flight is as good as anywhere if you want a quick start the following day.  There's also a bus to Wigan Central (https://wigancentral.bar/) if you mistime it for the festival. ;)