Greyhound Inn Sutton Stop

Ray T

Featured Posts

Dear Greyhound Family,
In almost 21 years of running this wonderful pub we have communicated and posted many things and below is probably the most difficult thing we have had to communicate in all of that time.
Myself and Antoni have come to a really difficult decision in the last few days and we want to share that with you, our Greyhound family and friends.
We have decided that our time here at The Hound will come to an end on September 28th.
After 21 wonderful years with some fantastic memories that will stay with us forever , it is sadly time for us to step aside and let someone else take the helm. We have had to consider many factors in coming to this decision and of course it will be a huge personal wrench for us both but we ultimately feel that this is the time.
We will of course be communicating more in the coming weeks of planned opportunities to see everyone before we go but at the moment our main priority is our wonderful team of staff and to ensure their security and well being before the 28th.
At this stage there are simply too many people to say thank you to and to whom we owe a huge debt of gratitude to , our time here has been blessed with meeting so many wonderful people and we consider ourselves privileged and honoured to have been here for so long and to have had the opportunity of steering the best pub in the world on a journey full of fun and adventure.
We will be adding more communication very soon but in the meantime, we both send you all our love and hope we get to see you soon.
  • Sad 3

Sad, but it comes to us all. Myself and the missus visited many times when passing over the years before the present incumbents and indeed whilst they have been there. Always a good spot to stop. Never had a bad pint there and the much less important food was ok also.

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:
Dear Greyhound Family,
In almost 21 years of running this wonderful pub we have communicated and posted many things and below is probably the most difficult thing we have had to communicate in all of that time.
Myself and Antoni have come to a really difficult decision in the last few days and we want to share that with you, our Greyhound family and friends.
We have decided that our time here at The Hound will come to an end on September 28th.
After 21 wonderful years with some fantastic memories that will stay with us forever , it is sadly time for us to step aside and let someone else take the helm. We have had to consider many factors in coming to this decision and of course it will be a huge personal wrench for us both but we ultimately feel that this is the time.
We will of course be communicating more in the coming weeks of planned opportunities to see everyone before we go but at the moment our main priority is our wonderful team of staff and to ensure their security and well being before the 28th.
At this stage there are simply too many people to say thank you to and to whom we owe a huge debt of gratitude to , our time here has been blessed with meeting so many wonderful people and we consider ourselves privileged and honoured to have been here for so long and to have had the opportunity of steering the best pub in the world on a journey full of fun and adventure.
We will be adding more communication very soon but in the meantime, we both send you all our love and hope we get to see you soon.

Let's hope that whoever takes it over is sympathetic and maintains the character of the pub, beer and food...

• Greenie 2

Lets just hope it does not get sold to an aspiring property developer (or land fill operator) with a box of matches and a big digger. I assume its listed.

Can buildings be listed due to their social history rather than actual architecture?

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Lets just hope it does not get sold to an aspiring property developer (or land fill operator) with a box of matches and a big digger. I assume its listed.

Can buildings be listed due to their social history rather than actual architecture?

I don't think the pub will be up for sale, I'm pretty sure CRT own the freehold. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don't think the pub will be up for sale, I'm pretty sure CRT own the freehold. 

In that case its very likely that CRT would sell it if a new owner wanted the bussiness and the property.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

In that case its very likely that CRT would sell it if a new owner wanted the bussiness and the property.

Why? I believe CRT own the freehold on a number of well known canalside pubs and I'm not aware they have ever sold any off. It presumably provides them with an income with a better business case than selling it off, even before you consider the reputational and political aspects. It's in their interests to have the right kind of tenant.

CRT feel they have no obligation to look after historic canal buildings, but view their property as a source of income and so will sell old buildings and buy modern shopping centres or whatever if the return is better. I don't really like this but accept that it probably has to be done.

I think a lot depends upon how the Greyhound is performing. I belive CRT use terms like "under-index" and if a property is under indexed it has to go.

I think (not sure) that they owned and sold off the Waterfront Bar/Pub at Pewsey (K&A) after their failed attempt to do a housing development there.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Listing a property does not mean that it can't be knocked down

Or indeed burnt down sadly. Part of a nearby historic factory frontage , grade 2 listed got burnt down some years ago by yoofs who were able to access as no fencing at all was put up. They were seen on cctv. Warnings were issued a number of times that this could happen. Then conveniently it was deemed unsafe knocked down and a row of 2000s  terraced things grace the historic street frontage 🙄

I have never understood why the frontage wasn’t mandated to be replaced as it was  by the authorities . 

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Some posts on the Greyhound page on Facebook implied that it's owned by a brewery/pubco not CART...

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Or indeed burnt down sadly. Part of a nearby historic factory frontage , grade 2 listed got burnt down some years ago by yoofs who were able to access as no fencing at all was put up. They were seen on cctv. Warnings were issued a number of times that this could happen. Then conveniently it was deemed unsafe knocked down and a row of 2000s  terraced things grace the historic street frontage 🙄

I have never understood why the frontage wasn’t mandated to be replaced as it was  by the authorities . 

I am being serious.  If you can prove that you have tried to maintain it but cannot do any more then it is photo recorded and then allowed to be demolitioned

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I am being serious.  If you can prove that you have tried to maintain it but cannot do any more then it is photo recorded and then allowed to be demolitioned

You need planning permission and listed building consent to (legally) demolish a listed building. The local planning authority is not just going to approve demolition because you say you have tried to maintain it and failed. Every case will be assessed on its merits, and consent for demolition is unlikely to be given, especially for the more significant listed buildings.

I was asked to write a report on the history of the grade 2 A&CN swingbridge at the entrance to Goole Docks when the bridge was no longer capable of taking modern heavy goods vehicles, and ABP wanted to replace it. A full desktop survey of the bridge's history was required with details of any surviving drawings and or archive material, together with a photographic survey. The original listing seems to have been based on the bridge here which was replaced in 1909! The report was then assessed before permission was given for demolition.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

You need planning permission and listed building consent to (legally) demolish a listed building. The local planning authority is not just going to approve demolition because you say you have tried to maintain it and failed. Every case will be assessed on its merits, and consent for demolition is unlikely to be given, especially for the more significant listed buildings.

Agree David, but thats not sadly too difficult at all 

The historical front demolition and housing I mentioned  was all agreed by the council who were rather pleased to see the back of a place where yoofs frequented and see more housing to fulfil their quota. Once it had burnt too it was easy as it was considered a danger and the road was semi blocked off too.

Im afraid that Grade 2 listing doesn't seem to give the protection  that I and many  assume. I suspect its different for grade 1 or 2* listed structures. 

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

So was I, the story I mentioned was years before this recent notorious fire and demolition (the Crooked House  wasnt listed either I believe) 

On 14/08/2023 at 23:03, IanD said:

Some posts on the Greyhound page on Facebook implied that it's owned by a brewery/pubco not CART...

It was listed as being part of the BW non-operational property portfolio at the time of the creation of CRT.

It's quite possible the building is owned by a pubco but possibly on a leasehold basis.

On 15/08/2023 at 11:50, Stroudwater1 said:

Im afraid that Grade 2 listing doesn't seem to give the protection  that I and many  assume. I suspect its different for grade 1 or 2* listed structures. 

This all seems overridden by the requirement for planning permission to demolish any pub, regardless of whether it is listed. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

This all seems overridden by the requirement for planning permission to demolish any pub, regardless of whether it is listed. 

So if it is not a pub can you demolish it without planning permission 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

How many licensee had the Crooked Pub had

The difference is that the Crooked House was dying on its feet -- too few customers/closed/vandalised -- and the Greyhound seems to be a very successful pub/business, as well as being listed... 😉

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

The difference is that the Crooked House was dying on its feet -- too few customers/closed/vandalised -- and the Greyhound seems to be a very successful pub/business, as well as being listed... 😉

As I have already stated listing a building does not stop it being demolished